Half-Life 2 is still one of the best Single-Player FPSs ever.

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shame about Half Life 3 but I'm still hopeful. They made a new Terminator film after a 22 year pause.

At the moment I'm replaying HL2. The creepy post apocalyptic atmosphere is excellent, the graphics especially the backgrounds / cityscapes are awesome, the zombies are scary and there's a good balance of puzzles, suspense and combat. The vehicle levels are a lot of fun too.

2NT_5WHcM1QrugwGDHauzE0JYynchhb5YPo2EAcKt3SG8V1rklVaOqNxroYFDORGlwY=h900

Yeah HL2 is one of the GOAT shooters, it's a shame Valve seem to have given up on a sequel and are happy to just keep printing money through Steam sales.

Also what do you mean 22 year pause on Terminator films?

1984 - Terminator
1991 - T2
2003 - T3: Rise of the Machines
2009 - Terminator: Salvation
2015 - Terminator Genisys

giphy.gif

I really should have finished this game. I was too busy throwing toilets at people in Deathmatch.

Brilliant game. Need to reinstall it and play through the episodes as well.

Agreed, I should probably finally play the two episodes though, still haven't played em.

One of these days I'll have to finally play Episode 2. And as far as Halflife 3 is concerned, where the fuck is Episode 3???

Playing it at 4K is awesome and easy to do on a so-so GPU.

I need to play the mods again... Minerva and Black Mesa are fantastic.

Considering that the game is more than 15 years old, it has aged wonderfully.

Shame about Half Life 3 but I'm still hopeful. They made a new Terminator film after a 22 year pause.

At the moment I'm replaying HL2. The creepy post apocalyptic atmosphere is excellent, the graphics especially the backgrounds / cityscapes are awesome, the zombies are scary and there's a good balance of puzzles, suspense and combat. The vehicle levels are a lot of fun too.

2NT_5WHcM1QrugwGDHauzE0JYynchhb5YPo2EAcKt3SG8V1rklVaOqNxroYFDORGlwY=h900
It is still the best overall map design for a single player campaign in the history of video games, and it's kind of embarrassing for everyone else by how staggering a margin.

Agree with everything, but the vehicles. The mechanics for vehicles have been greatly improved since HL2. I hate those sections whenever I give this game a replay.

Everything else still holds up just fine though. Timeless classic.

Valve used to make games now they make money instead.

I have a digital copy of the Orange Box for 360 it's backwards compatible for the XB1 now too as I saw it on my ready to install list. I never played half life 2 though just Portal. I was thinking of playing the story on Half Life, but would the console version of this still hold up?

One of these days I'll have to finally play Episode 2. And as far as Halflife 3 is concerned, where the fuck is Episode 3???

I'm pretty certain that episode 3 became Half Life 3... if you're interested I'll see if I can dig it up, but not too long ago I was reading an article by the head guy at Valve, forget his name, but that's basically what he said. Something along the lines of episode 3 was going to finish the story, but they wanted to make that ending chapter a full novel, rather than a novella.

I have a digital copy of the Orange Box for 360 it's backwards compatible for the XB1 now too as I saw it on my ready to install list. I never played half life 2 though just Portal. I was thinking of playing the story on Half Life, but would the console version of this still hold up?

The graphics are old so it doesn't matter where you play it, but you should certainly play it.

It is still the best overall map design for a single player campaign in the history of video games, and it's kind of embarrassing for everyone else by how staggering a margin.

Damned straight... Ravenholm is still easily one of the top 5 best levels in an FPS ever.

It's obviously a bit rough around the edges without any mods, but yes, the game play holds up just fine. It's worth diving into.

Anyone playing through it for the first time or again, should install the Cinematic mod. It is a brilliant graphical overhaul that brings the game up to modern standards.

http://cinematicmod.com/

TLJN7.jpg

j8s9ohgr.jpg

I wonder if my machine could run that. How stiff are the specs requitements?
What's your PC's specs? I don't know the exact requirements, but it is relatively light. It also comes with a config interface where you can turn things on/off and tweak the settings which can help it run better if needed. It has been out for a number of years, so you don't need the latest hardware to make it run well.

What's your PC's specs? I don't know the exact requirements, but it is relatively light. It also comes with a config interface where you can turn things on/off and tweak the settings which can help it run better if needed. It has been out for a number of years, so you don't need the latest hardware to make it run well.

It's a 5 year old laptop, but it was good at the time. I7 processor, I think 8 gigs ram, and an Nvidia GT 650M card.

It's a 5 year old laptop, but it was good at the time. I7 processor, I think 8 gigs ram, and an Nvidia GT 650M card.

It might struggle. The mod is 50gigs alone. Do you even have the space to download and install it ?

Back