Half-Life 2 is still one of the best Single-Player FPSs ever.

I remember picking up the Big Orange Box for 360, and it was so much fun with HL2 and TF2.

I'm pretty certain that episode 3 became Half Life 3... if you're interested I'll see if I can dig it up, but not too long ago I was reading an article by the head guy at Valve, forget his name, but that's basically what he said. Something along the lines of episode 3 was going to finish the story, but they wanted to make that ending chapter a full novel, rather than a novella.
It's not just each level as a self-contained level. It's how the levels connect together. Your movements over the course of the game take place in a real virtual space. At the beginning of the game, when the Citadel goes off, you look out and basically see the entire stretch of land between you and it that you will transverse during the game as you progress level by level. You're actually looking at the space those level maps occupy.

It's incredible. This sort of attention to detail just melts reality away. Suspension of disbelief becomes automatic.

I have a digital copy of the Orange Box for 360 it's backwards compatible for the XB1 now too as I saw it on my ready to install list. I never played half life 2 though just Portal. I was thinking of playing the story on Half Life, but would the console version of this still hold up?
Absolutely, but I thought you also had a PC? If it's any good, then the modded version of the game on PC will mitigate that "I feel like I'm in an old sci-fi movie where props that represent the pinnacle of galactic technology are constructed out of HVAC tubing."

Absolutely, but I thought you also had a PC? If it's any good, then the modded version of the game on PC will mitigate that "I feel like I'm in an old sci-fi movie where props that represent the pinnacle of galactic technology are constructed out of HVAC tubing."

I don't have a gaming PC. I can run the Dolphin emulator alright on it though. With some tweaking the most powerful game I ran has been The Twilight Princess without any issues. I know it's an older game, so maybe my Laptop could handle it. How would it work with these specs.

2.6 Ghz i5 Core Processor (Ivy Bridge)
Intel HD Graphics 4000
8 GB Ram

I was just under the impression that it would probably run better on my XB1.

I'm pretty certain that episode 3 became Half Life 3... if you're interested I'll see if I can dig it up, but not too long ago I was reading an article by the head guy at Valve, forget his name, but that's basically what he said. Something along the lines of episode 3 was going to finish the story, but they wanted to make that ending chapter a full novel, rather than a novella.

What? Since when has valve ever acknowledged the existence of an ongoing or even cancelled Halflife 3 project? In fact I thought someone at valve did an interview 2 or 3 years ago saying they've never even started working on a Halflife 3 and had no plans to do so.

What? Since when has valve ever acknowledged the existence of an ongoing or even cancelled Halflife 3 project? In fact I thought someone at valve did an interview 2 or 3 years ago saying they've never even started working on a Halflife 3 and had no plans to do so.

I'll see if I can pull it up and get back to you. But I'm pretty certain HL3 has been started and scrapped multiple times. As I understand Valve lets people literally move their desk wherever they choose, meaning they move their desk to the project on which they want to work. Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can pull up what I was looking at where they were talking about all of this.

Edit: I can't find what I was watching, so it looks like whatever it was that I thought was legit was in fact not legit or not credible. Apparently it was either hearsay or a "leak" so there's no real credibility. My apologies for spreading bullshit.

Last edited:

It's one of those gaming mysteries. Like, I swear I can remember multiple articles talking about the development of Episode 3. However, when I look it up, there's not a whole lot to support that. I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, or Valve deleted parts of the internet, or we've crossed into an alternate dimension where Half Life 2: Episode 3 never existed...

I don't know man, but I swear to fuck they were working on it, and it's release was imminent way back when.

Stupid Warlock Gabe Newell!

It's one of those gaming mysteries. Like, I swear I can remember multiple articles talking about the development of Episode 3. However, when I look it up, there's not a whole lot to support that. I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, or Valve deleted parts of the internet, or we've crossed into an alternate dimension where Half Life 2: Episode 3 never existed...

I don't know man, but I swear to fuck they were working on it, and it's release was imminent way back when.

Stupid Warlock Gabe Newell!

Just another instance that can be chalked up to that damn Mandela Effect.

I'll see if I can pull it up and get back to you. But I'm pretty certain HL3 has been started and scrapped multiple times. As I understand Valve lets people literally move their desk wherever they choose, meaning they move their desk to the project on which they want to work. Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can pull up what I was looking at where they were talking about all of this.

Edit: I can't find what I was watching, so it looks like whatever it was that I thought was legit was in fact not legit or not credible. Apparently it was either hearsay or a "leak" so there's no real credibility. My apologies for spreading bullshit.

'Tis that crusty old Mandela Effect at work.

I'd say the Metroid Prime games, but both are amazing and neither are normal fps', they are more first person action-adventure games with guns. That's what really set them apart though, and the gap is much different between them and current fps games. Back then fps' like them evolved from much different mechanics from Doom and Hexen to Turok and Goldeneye. The mainstream fps' nowadays have a closer evolutionary ancestor to arcade games.

I don't have a gaming PC. I can run the Dolphin emulator alright on it though. With some tweaking the most powerful game I ran has been The Twilight Princess without any issues. I know it's an older game, so maybe my Laptop could handle it. How would it work with these specs.

2.6 Ghz i5 Core Processor (Ivy Bridge)
Intel HD Graphics 4000
8 GB Ram

I was just under the impression that it would probably run better on my XB1.
No, you gotta go the Orange Box route. Yeah, it will still hold up. It's fucking magnificent.

No, you gotta go the Orange Box route. Yeah, it will still hold up. It's fucking magnificent.

Don't overhype it man. haha Games are fun as hell, but I can see how people who never played them back when they were new aren't very impressed with them today. I see it a lot in Reddit posts and I agree with some of the things they are saying, especially the vehicle segments. They are fun, for a while, but they just go on for too damned long in my opinion. I think in a normal play through you're on that hover-craft-boat-thing for close to an hour, especially if you make a few accidental "u-turns" and get lost. That being said my sense of direction has always been horrendously poor, so that might account for some of my "wrong direction" incidents.

I think they just really fucked up. Their episoidic approach never worked. It was years between episodes. I know they began work on HL2 Ep3. They even released concept art of it years ago. The Portal and HL worlds were going to cross. Aperture Science was seen at the end of Ep2 and in the conceprt art of Ep3. Around this time they began transition of their games to the Source 2 engine. They probably shifted focus to that and put development on hold. Also around that time DOTA came out. Priorities shifted hardcore because this game started printing money like nobodies business. They probably decided to scrap Ep3 by this time since it had been half a decade and felt a full HL3 was the right approach. What happened next is anybodies guess. I hope some day they continue the story, but as it stand HL2 is both one of the greatest games ever made, and one with the worst cliff hanger endings.

Anyone playing through it for the first time or again, should install the Cinematic mod. It is a brilliant graphical overhaul that brings the game up to modern standards.

http://cinematicmod.com/

TLJN7.jpg

j8s9ohgr.jpg

I could never bring myself to try it due to how terrible the new models are. Like Alyx in the sting bikini and shit. Jesus Christ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back