GSP beats Whitaker- is he then the GOAT?

GSP was already in GOAT contention before retiring, if he continues with a run with the MW belt, and who knows if drops to WW and wins, then there is no doubt he is the absolute GOAT.

You can't be serious. If what he has done already doesn't convince you then nothing will.

13 Title Fight wins total (most in history), 11 consecutive title fight wins in 2 divisions. Greatest WW of all time. 26-2 avenged both losses in brutal fashion. 20 UFC wins, tied for most in history, most take downs in UFC history, most guard passes in UFC history, most consecutive rounds won in UFC history at 33, most Top 10 wins in history, almost as many Top 5 wins as Fedor and Anderson combined.

But you won't be satisfied unless he wins more MW title fights and then drops to WW and wins title fights there again, even though he is already the WW GOAT.

You are unreasonable.

i'm a fedor nutswinger but even i have to say gsp is goat if he wins 1 more at 185. i just do still like the way fedor fought instead of the way gsp fought but yeah.

No.
His dominance was 6 years with questionable wins (Hendricks) and a 4 years vacation.
He would have to keep winning for a couple of years to get to a Fedor's level of dominance (10 years unbeaten).
Besides: Bisping was a joke of a champion, and Whittaker was a WW.
If he beats Luke, Yoel or Jacare, I would be seriously impressed, but we both know he won't stay at MW (heck, he doesn't want to stay and fight against WHittaker, so we both know he will leave the MW as soon as he can).

Barao won for 10 years, so did Aldo, is that all it takes to convince you?

Why do you have to tear down Bobby Knuckles as "being a WW?" You bring up GSP beating Yoel or Jacare, Whittaker's last 3 fights he head kick KO'ed Brunson, head kick KO'ed Jacare, and beat Yoel in a 5 round fight while having a knee injury but he's "a WW."

He already is, no matter what happens in his next fight. Anderson and Jones are proven cheaters. Jones failed 2/3 fights under USADA. And Fedor is not even close to having the same quality competition. See how many wins against top 10 competition they each have, and the combined records of their respective opponents.

Spratt, Karo, Mayhem, Sherk, Trigg, Hughes x 2, Fitch, Alves, Hardy, Serra, Koscheck x 2, Penn x 2, Condit, Diaz, Shields, Hendricks, Bisping.

vs.

Schilt, Herring, Nog x 2, Mirko, Coleman, Randleman, Hunt, Sylvia, Arlovski, and Rogers.

That's 20 wins against top 10 competition vs. 11 wins. If we think of top 5 competition the numbers are even more lopsided. And he did so consistently, meaning he didn't fight Valavicius, Zulu, TK, or Hong Man Choi in-between.

People also forget he beat Penn, whi at the time was the LW champ, and Shields, who was the MW Strikeforce champ (with wins over Lawler, Okami, Henderson...). Both Hughes and Penn, at the time, were considered P4P top 5 fighters, if not top 3. He actively campaigned for enhanced testing and willingly submitted himself to it against Hendricks, though the latter didn't. He never once pissed hot.

GSP, on top of that, is a three time and two division champ with no unavenged losses. And he just won his second division title a weight class up having never lost the WW strap, after a four year hiatus, out striking a much bigger striker.

The accolades are overwhelmingly in his favor already. Everything from now on is icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Fedor was a glorified can crusher. We counting wins over guys like Zulu now??
Nog 2x, Cro Cop, Arlovski, Sylvia, Hunt, Herring, Coleman, Randleman are not cans.

Fedor was undefeated for 10 years. He was ranked #1 in the world for 7 years. He beat everyone put in front of him and those that he did not fight were beaten by Nog (Werdum, Sergei, Barnett) and Cro Cop (Barnett 3x and Aleks)

When Fedor fought Zulu in December he had just fought CC 4 months earlier in August. CC destroyed Barnett two months later in October. There were not a lot of options for Fedor's oppponent on NYE. He wanted to be on the NYE show(which is tradition in Japan) and earn that paycheck and he did. We can't fault the man for taking an extra fight. He could have just stayed at home and taken a whole year off like Stipe is doing now. But no, he took that risk fighting at 400 pound man and smashed him and was paid handsomely for it. Should we criticize Werdum for tsking the Harris and Tybura fights? No. He is a warrior that wants to stay active.

Anyone who calls a guy who couldn’t beat top competition in his EARLY 30s is just a Fanatic who refuses to think critically. GSP is arguably the GOAT, Fedor is a myth!
GSP lost to Serra at age 26, while UFC champ.

Fedor did not lose from 23 to 33. He was the best for 10 years and then started to decline and then lose.

GSP lost before and during his prime.

Two different stories, two different GOATs.

I give the edge to Fedor though for not losing for 10 years as an undersized HW, fighting more dangerous opponents and finding more methods to win than GSP ever did.

You can't be serious. If what he has done already doesn't convince you then nothing will.

13 Title Fight wins total (most in history), 11 consecutive title fight wins in 2 divisions. Greatest WW of all time. 26-2 avenged both losses in brutal fashion. 20 UFC wins, tied for most in history, most take downs in UFC history, most guard passes in UFC history, most consecutive rounds won in UFC history at 33, most Top 10 wins in history, almost as many Top 5 wins as Fedor and Anderson combined.

But you won't be satisfied unless he wins more MW title fights and then drops to WW and wins title fights there again, even though he is already the WW GOAT.

You are unreasonable.

I mentioned he was in GOAT contention even before retiring, yes he won the MW belt but he won it from Bisping, and im a Bisping fan...If he beats Whittaker that might be more than enough to consider him the undisputed GOAT, but to be honest, i just want to see Woodley lose his belt lol, GSP is one of the GOAT already.

Barao won for 10 years, so did Aldo, is that all it takes to convince you?

Why do you have to tear down Bobby Knuckles as "being a WW?" You bring up GSP beating Yoel or Jacare, Whittaker's last 3 fights he head kick KO'ed Brunson, head kick KO'ed Jacare, and beat Yoel in a 5 round fight while having a knee injury but he's "a WW."

LOL
it is amazing that you want to try and convince that Whittaker was not a WW...
It is stupid to try and claim that the past didn't happen. It did, and yes, he was a WW.

And Barao won for 10 years at lesser promotions. And fe fought guys on his division, with about the same weight as him.
So no, it is not the same as Fedor, who fought the best HW's around, and guys that were 30, 60 Lbs above him.

To put in perspective, GSP declined fighting Silva who was 15 Lbs above his weight, claiming he was "too big".
Compare that with Fedor fighting Zuluzinho, and you get a pretty good glance at the level of difficulty each had.

...and BTW, should I even mention that Fedor submitted Zuluzinho on the first round, while GSP can't put guys like one-eyed Koschek and Dan Hardy away?
Nah. This is not about humiliating GSP. Just showing GSP is not ahead of Fedor, even if he beat an old WW in WHittaker.

But if GSP beats Whitaker, it would require a whole new level of denial to believe that Fedor is still the GOAT.

Why? it doesn't change the narrative that Fedor has a shorter reach, is only about an inch taller than Georges and still competed at openweight against the biggest and best fighters... people can post all the gifs they want of Hendo knocking him out in SF but that same guy would probably knock off Bispings and Georges head into the raftors on the same night

TBH, I'm still not convinced that Georges has even surpassed Anderson Silva... a fighter who has beaten champions at 168-205... a fighter that Georges wanted no part of when he was in his MW prime

I mentioned he was in GOAT contention even before retiring, yes he won the MW belt but he won it from Bisping, and im a Bisping fan...If he beats Whittaker that might be more than enough to consider him the undisputed GOAT, but to be honest, i just want to see Woodley lose his belt lol, GSP is one of the GOAT already.

I could handle him losing to Whittaker. Most fans like Whittaker, he's a likeable fighter who is highly talented. I don't think I could handle if he lost to Woodley. GSP fans would never hear the end of that...ever.

LOL
it is amazing that you want to try and convince that Whittaker was not a WW...
It is stupid to try and claim that the past didn't happen. It did, and yes, he was a WW.

And Barao won for 10 years at lesser promotions. And fe fought guys on his division, with about the same weight as him.
So no, it is not the same as Fedor, who fought the best HW's around, and guys that were 30, 60 Lbs above him.

To put in perspective, GSP declined fighting Silva who was 15 Lbs above his weight, claiming he was "too big".
Compare that with Fedor fighting Zuluzinho, and you get a pretty good glance at the level of difficulty each had.

...and BTW, should I even mention that Fedor submitted Zuluzinho on the first round, while GSP can't put guys like one-eyed Koschek and Dan Hardy away?
Nah. This is not about humiliating GSP. Just showing GSP is not ahead of Fedor, even if he beat an old WW in WHittaker.

You use the WW statement to diminish Whittaker while at the same time saying GSP, the WW GOAT can't beat guys like Yoel and Jacare, meanwhile, Whittaker beat both of them. You can't have it both ways. You can't challenge GSP to win against large MW's while at the same time labeling Whittaker a WW when he just finished beating the exact guys you named, Yoel and Jacare.

No.
His dominance was 6 years with questionable wins (Hendricks) and a 4 years vacation.
He would have to keep winning for a couple of years to get to a Fedor's level of dominance (10 years unbeaten).
Besides: Bisping was a joke of a champion, and Whittaker was a WW.
If he beats Luke, Yoel or Jacare, I would be seriously impressed, but we both know he won't stay at MW (heck, he doesn't want to stay and fight against WHittaker, so we both know he will leave the MW as soon as he can).

As he should, he is a WW after all. As for Fedor in 10 years he faced 5 good fighters. He lost to 3 of them. He has a long list of cans with losing records and a long list of avg fighters with plenty of losses. Then he faces adversity and loses 3x and goes back to Joke fights.....then gets destroyed by Matt Mitrione of all people. He was a good fighter but was never the hype people gave him.

Right but Conor doesn't have 13 title fight wins. Its not really subjective. It only becomes subjective when you are arguing over a few guys, in this case 3 or 4 guys. Otherwise, for the majority of fans its not really subjective at all, sports is and has always been about winning championships.

You’re contradicting yourself pal. It’s debatable whether he’s the best LW (I think there’s 2-3 that beat him) but he’s achieved something that no other fighter has; held 2 belts at the same time. If it’s about championships then he should be in the discussion, when in reality he’s no where near GOAT

You’re contradicting yourself pal. It’s debatable whether he’s the best LW (I think there’s 2-3 that beat him) but he’s achieved something that no other fighter has; held 2 belts at the same time. If it’s about championships then he should be in the discussion, when in reality he’s no where near GOAT

Thing is, he has only won them once, each, winning at the same time is a good accomplishment, but in reality when he lost to Nate he should had been forced to defend his 145 belt, isntead of a rematch and still another title shot, no fighter gets that kind of opportunities, he made the most of them, but not many get the chance to try.

Actually, some recognize that he cleaned at least 2 generations of fighters out of WW.

Yes, but he also got put to sleep against a really subpar opponent at his peak and never went after Silva.

If the Serra fight hadn’t happened, there’d be no question imo.

He's already GOAT. Everything else from here is just gravy.

If GSP loses to Whitaker then I’d expect you to take the same stance with GSP since career stages don’t matter here.

Not really, if he goes down and does well at 170 until the end of his career, he's still the GOAT even if he lost to Whitaker.

Fedor will have another lost to a guy that was considered low level when Fedor was winning it all in Asia and Russia.

He will need to clean the division before he is accepted as GOAT, by that point there may be a new potential GOAT
And when he does somehow clear the division, like Mighty Duck, he will need to step up a weight division and clear that too.

Back