Greatest MLB player of all time. (Pitchers excluded)

Best MLB player of all-time?

• Joe Dimaggio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hank Aaron

• Lou Gehrig

• Honus Wagner

• Reggie Jackson

• Ichiro

• Jackie Robinson

• Pete Rose

• Jimmie Foxx

• Tris Speaker

• Rogers Hornsby

• Johnny Bench

• Total voters
gwynn-Bats.jpg
It's true though, Gwynn looked like a real baseball player compared to the roid monkeys he played with and certain better than any of these grip and rippers now.

Consider this... Gwynn had 11 more four hit games than he had multi-strikeout games.

Ruth and it's not even close

Bonds is a cheater, fuck him

I voted for Mays but it depends on what you like.

Rickey Henderson could easily be on that lost, at least as an honorable mention. He dominated the game in his own way for a long time.

If you were to pin players from today vs the 20’s.. they’d absolutely destroy those guys. They never saw 100mph heat, sliders, shifts or even black and Latin players ffs. Imagine what today’s HOF players would do offensively if none of those existed? Now you can argue hypothetically that if Ruth were born in the 80s or 90s he’d be a good major leaguer with modern training and nutrition. But the odds of him being as dominant in today’s age are hilariously slim just based on sheer population alone. He put up great numbers when there were maybe a few thousand people even playing baseball in his era, but today there are millions of players who play baseball growing up.

You’re taking 1 guy who dominated out of a few thousand.

Compare that to someone who’s dominated out of hundreds of thousands if not millions.

- much larger talent pool/competition
- advanced scouting/metrics
- shifts
- overall better pitching

You can say Ruth is the GOAT based on his era, but if you do that you can’t say he’s better than bonds or trout because they played in different eras. Personally, I’d say modern and recent players are much more skilled than early generation players.
if players are so much more awesome today, why can't a hitter tap the ball to the side of the field where nobody is? it amazes me that a hitter will always pull the ball to the side of the field where the other team has put 7 fielders. my god dude, cant you practice going to the opposite field?

If it was easy to hit against shitty white only players then everyone would have done what Babe did. How much better are you then your peers is the only way to judge different generations.
That's why lebron > kobe

if players are so much more awesome today, why can't a hitter tap the ball to the side of the field where nobody is? it amazes me that a hitter will always pull the ball to the side of the field where the other team has put 7 fielders. my god dude, cant you practice going to the opposite field?

I agree that players should learn to use the entire field. It’s also a little more difficult to do that against today’s pitchers and elite defenses. I think the average errors per game is like .50 right now as opposed to 2.2 or some shit 100 years ago. Guys were also throwing 80mph with no offspeed 200 times a game and pretty much every hitter was trying to hit for average as opposed to the few that hit for power(like Ruth).

Reggie Jackson
Ichiro Suzuki
Jackie Robinson
Tris Speaker

None of the above

Contact hitters are a thing of the past. Most are constantly swinging for the fence, striking out be damned.

Which is great and all but the slumps these guys go through last a long time. It's always better when you have guys that just scrap to get on base and then a couple guys hitting home runs later in the lineup. But now you have leadoff hitters hitting 30 home runs.

But some teams are starting to realize this. Tampa did well playing small ball and the cards have been good it for a while. It really make the shift useless when your lineup is trying to drive the ball in the gaps.

It's true though, Gwynn looked like a real baseball player compared to the roid monkeys he played with and certain better than any of these grip and rippers now.

Consider this... Gwynn had 11 more four hit games than he had multi-strikeout games.

He only struck out 3 times in a game one time in his career. That is insane.

Back