Governor Cuomo issuing pardons to all parolees to restore voting rights

Yes. Otherwise it invalidates the point of imprisonment. Personally, very critical of any type of punishments or restrictions that extend past the time that an individual has served his court appointed sentence. Permanent punishment sits poorly with me.

The thing is Felons aren't permanently banned from voting. Unless convicted of treason they are allowed to re-register 2 years after they complete their parole.

This guy is trying to make it so felons can vote while they're still on parole. The primaries are conveniently coming up and it's a scumbag move that he's trying to disguise as empathy.

There are much bigger bones that he could be tossing at convicted felons if he was really interested in restoring some of their rights and or privileges.

The thing is Felons aren't permanently banned from voting. Unless convicted of treason they are allowed to re-register 2 years after they complete their parole.

This guy is trying to make it so felons can vote while they're still on parole. The primaries are conveniently coming up and it's a scumbag move that he's trying to disguise as empathy.

There are much bigger bones that he could be tossing at convicted felons if he was really interested in restoring some of their rights and or privileges.

Oh, I agree this is political. The comment I had originally responded to was about if we wanted felons to ever have a say in our process. To which I said yes.

35,000 liberal felons. Not surprised.

I continue to disagree because I don't see how we can say "These Constitutional rights can be permanently taken away but these Constitutional rights cannot."

Fair enough. I maintain that they can forfeit their rights to vote or own firearms given certain criminal behavior resulting in felony conviction. I have no problem with that. And I have no problem with them having their rights restored, though again, I would insist it be on a case-by-case basis subject to extreme scrutiny. That's all.

This is a travesty. A blanket pardon of tens of thousands of felons? Just no.

This hardly counts as a ramification. Barely 50% of eligible votes vote as it is. I doubt many felons are shaking their fists at the sky on Election Day lamenting the path they took. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to vote.
There is a reason they are felons. Why not just make everything crime a misdemeanor? Most felons are democrats and watch how they are bused to the poles. Democrats will do anything for votes.

I think the onus is on you to make a compelling case for taking away the right to vote.
I don't need to.

Its part of the punishment for being a felon. Plain and simple.

There is a reason they are felons. Why not just make everything crime a misdemeanor? Most felons are democrats and watch how they are bused to the poles. Democrats will do anything for votes.
Sounds like you care more about how felons might register than their ability to vote.

Sounds like you care more about how felons might register than their ability to vote.
I care when things are done for the wrong reasons. These people made the choice to commit crimes serious enough to warrant felony charges. They should not be rewarded for their wrong doings.

I believe felons get their voting rights back in every state as long as they are not in jail or on parole.
After rehab, yes.

So why do we need this?

Oh, I agree this is political. The comment I had originally responded to was about if we wanted felons to ever have a say in our process. To which I said yes.

I think so too. People can turn their life around and if a felon manages to stay out of trouble for two years after their probation/parole is up then It's not unresonable that they should be able to vote.

I think the same rule should apply to joining the the Military too as long as they can make the age limit. The service can be a positive experience for someone with no direction. If they can't hack it they would be weeded out quick anyway.

Literally the only reason you would support this is because you think they are going to vote for your side. Being on parole doesn't mean you are finished with your punishment. They can have their right to vote restored when their punishment is done. What's next set up a voting booth in the prisons?

I care when things are done for the wrong reasons. These people made the choice to commit crimes serious enough to warrant felony charges. They should not be rewarded for their wrong doings.
Once their debt to society is paid there is no reason to enforce arbitrary humiliations upon them.

Literally the only reason you would support this is because you think they are going to vote for your side. Being on parole doesn't mean you are finished with your punishment. They can have their right to vote restored when their punishment is done. What's next set up a voting booth in the prisons?

Absolutely. Already being discussed and possibly even implemented, I believe.

Once their debt to society is paid there is no reason to enforce arbitrary humiliations upon them.
Part of their debt to society is losing certain rights. If they don’t want to lose their rights they should act like the law abiding citizens of this country.

Part of their debt to society is losing certain rights. If they don’t want to lose their rights they should act like the law abiding citizens of this country.
If the law was changed tomorrow would you protest it?

Back