Gordon "my parents pay for everything so I can train full time" Ryan

We all need to prepare for the post work econonmy. What would you do if you didn't have to do anything?
Eventually, robots, ai, and other technologies will make "working for a living" obsolete. We'll still be working. Hopefully doing things we really care about.
Universal basic income makes more and more sense every day.

I for one welcome our new Dern grappling robots.

<Baelish01>

Is training full time worse than wastinf your parents money on a bullshit lib arts degree and partying for 4 years? Only to graduate and find out the only job you can get is a starbucks barista?

What is the ADCC prize money?

Seems Gordon is a rich 22 years old.

He won the parental lottery.

Here I am working overtime shifts, missing classes here and there because of it, just to pay gym dues. I can only afford one Gi at the moment. Have to wash it several times a week.

Is training full time worse than wastinf your parents money on a bullshit lib arts degree and partying for 4 years? Only to graduate and find out the only job you can get is a starbucks barista?

Being a barista is an art, not a job

Hey motherfucker - I did BOTH.

I dont do contracts, 100% month to month and am making decent profit teaching and running a school for only being open 5 months.

Billing companies aren't that expensive either. Marketing I do myself, no flyers etc. Mainly word of mouth and some fb/Google ad words. Takes about 3 months for Google Seo to work but have that funnel rolling in.

Insurance shit is easy and cheap. Taxes are not hard you just get a tax guy and keep records in excel.

I think you over complicate some of this shit. It's not hard as long as you aren't a lazy Fuck or an idiot.

I'm currently at a school that don't do contracts and it's month to month.

I agree with this because people's finances change. Having a 2 or 3 year contract is ridiculous because people's lives can change during that time.

Just let them do month to month Iand give the freedom to quit whenever. That's the martial art business for you some stick around for 2 months and leave other stay for 10 years.

Seems kind of like a smaller scale Conor McGregor/BJ Penn type situation, no? Conor was on the dole, and BJ was supported by his parents early in their life, which led to massive success in an area that will likely pay out far more than what he'd otherwise be making in a menial salaried position. I don't know exactly what his ADCC payout is, but I have to imagine he just made more this weekend than my salary as a teacher for an entire year accounts for. That's without adding the checks he has collected for super fights, seminars, EBIs and most likely sponsorships.

Seems his parents made a smart gamble if this is the case.

Gordon is the douchiest douche to ever douche but hats off.
His ig story was embarrassing tho

Good for Gordon, but he could be doing much more lucrative things with that kind of support. Granted, I imagine they aren't as satisfying to him.

It makes sense to me for a Brazilian from the favela to chase Bjj stardom. Maybe you aren't going to make it into soccer, but Bjj is still a way out. When you're an American from a well off family, maybe you should chase a sport where the retirement plan isn't "keep working as a teacher"

We all need to prepare for the post work econonmy. What would you do if you didn't have to do anything?
Eventually, robots, ai, and other technologies will make "working for a living" obsolete. We'll still be working. Hopefully doing things we really care about.
Universal basic income makes more and more sense every day.
Frankly, we need to all prepare for the post work apocalypse. UBI won't be coming until things get very bad.

My point is that while most people have to struggle through life and bust their ass to train and sacrifice everything, I respect that way more than silver spoon gold medals and if you want to bow down to someone who has a horrible attitude and is arrogant as hell then you're a cuck.

I don't know how much he is or isn't supported by his family financially but he's not an outlier. Robert Drysdale mentions in every interview that in Brazil it's acceptable to live with your parents until your mid 20's and to even be supported by them with little to no negative impact socially for doing so. He says it's not taboo there and that he lived with his mom and she helped support him well into adulthood and that he would never have made it to where he is without her.

I don't know how accurate that is for other people in Brazil but assuming that's at least partially true and how many trust fund kids train in America, then IF that is true about Gordon Ryan then he's in good company and I don't know what else there is to say.

Interestingly, that pattern (living with your parents until you're fairly old, especially for men as they tended to do so until married and usually married older than women) was pretty typical throughout most of human history, it was only in the 20th century (and then only in industrialized nations) that the prospect of an unskilled 18 year old being able to afford to live on their own became a thing. It was an instance of culture changing very quickly as economic conditions changed, though as we've reverted to the norm of people needing quite a bit of time to build up the wealth to stand on their own two feet we don't seem to have gone back to our earlier social norms.

I may be a "player hater" myself, and I would not doubt that there is jealousy on my part, but people are always harping on the do nothing poor who do not get a job, and live off of welfare, this is the rich boy equivalent, they are living off the welfare of their parents. Furthermore, the exorbitant price is making BJJ into an elitist sport.

BJJ has always been an elitist sport. The Gracies didn't train poor people, they were very classist (as is Brazilian society in general). Class was the root of the whole BJJ vs. Luta Livre feud of the 80s.

BJJ has always been an elitist sport. The Gracies didn't train poor people, they were very classist (as is Brazilian society in general). Class was the root of the whole BJJ vs. Luta Livre feud of the 80s.

That is true, I believe the average household salary in Brazil is like $700 a month, and training is around $100 a month, the average family can not afford it.. You were spot on about the Luta Livre Vs. Jiu Jitsu feud of the 80's. Also, I think there was bad blood when Anderson Silva fought Demian Maia . Apparently Silva grew up dirt poor and Maia grew up rich, so Anderson was taunting him, and being disrespectful toward Maia, which is out of character for Silva.

My son is going to have a fuck ton of inherited wealth so I really can't comment negatively on this topic.

My son is going to have a fuck ton of inherited wealth so I really can't comment negatively on this topic.

I'm looking for a foster parent, in case you are looking for another son, in southamerica (I can teach you some Bjj too for the price <45>)

On. A side note, how do you plan to deal with that issue. I mean it's quite normal that sons that inherit a fuck ton of money turn out to be a fuck ton of problems....

That is true, I believe the average household salary in Brazil is like $700 a month, and training is around $100 a month, the average family can not afford it.. You were spot on about the Luta Livre Vs. Jiu Jitsu feud of the 80's. Also, I think there was bad blood when Anderson Silva fought Demian Maia . Apparently Silva grew up dirt poor and Maia grew up rich, so Anderson was taunting him, and being disrespectful toward Maia, which is out of character for Silva.

In brazil is defenetly not 100$, more like 100 reais, which is around 30 bucks.

In brazil is defenetly not 100$, more like 100 reais, which is around 30 bucks.

About 15 years ago, I remember reading that it was approximately $80 US Dollars, I estimated it at $100, maybe the cost has gone down with more schools. Regardless, Brazil is a poor country and most can not afford BJJ lessons.

About 15 years ago, I remember reading that it was approximately $80 US Dollars, I estimated it at $100, maybe the cost has gone down with more schools. Regardless, Brazil is a poor country and most can not afford BJJ lessons.

It depends of the school, but in rio there's a fuck ton of them, hell all over Brazil right now, may be 15 years ago it was very expensive but now? It isn't there's a bunch of social programs for poor people to train, and Brazil is a poor country but there's a lot of middle class population also or Lower-middle class that can afford 30 bucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back