Gordon "my parents pay for everything so I can train full time" Ryan

That is true, I believe the average household salary in Brazil is like $700 a month, and training is around $100 a month, the average family can not afford it.. You were spot on about the Luta Livre Vs. Jiu Jitsu feud of the 80's. Also, I think there was bad blood when Anderson Silva fought Demian Maia . Apparently Silva grew up dirt poor and Maia grew up rich, so Anderson was taunting him, and being disrespectful toward Maia, which is out of character for Silva.

Maia was actually really confused why Anderson kept taunting him that way, because as he explained in an interview about the fight while he is well educated he grew up fairly poor with a single mom. I think Maia comes from a middle or upper middle class background which is reflected in the way he carrier himself, but he and his immediate family weren't rich by any means.

We all need to prepare for the post work econonmy. What would you do if you didn't have to do anything?
Eventually, robots, ai, and other technologies will make "working for a living" obsolete. We'll still be working. Hopefully doing things we really care about.
Universal basic income makes more and more sense every day.

I think what's really going to happen is greater and greater swaths of feeble ape creatures being rendered obsolete by humanities superior children as elite sets with the means enhance themselves to ever greater indistinguishable heights.

Man i can't wait.

Last edited:
I never said it's ONLY way( contracts ) . It's just ( even Nate admitted ) the most ( and imo best ) common way. Where did I ever say that the school I was at WASNT offering a top notch service that they wouldn't want to leave. People will walk out and leave and not sign up for all kinds of reasons . You just try and minimize it . And not wanting a prospective student to leave doesn't mean that you aren't providing a good service or being a greedy asshole .I'm an optimistic person and wanna believe if u are offering a lot they you are also giving a lot . I know that's not always case with school owners though or life in general .. And I'm giving Nate benefit of the doubt and assuming he has s top notch school . And it Doesn't mean that you literally DONT let them leave and be a hard selling asshole . It's just a mentality that comes with sales that's all . U can look at it at like it's s dirtbag or whatever and thats cool . I really don't give a fuck Just like u don't give a fuck bout my opinion. I guess if u ran s school and had dudes working for u selling memberships you'd be cool with them always not getting sale , cause you know , customer has prerogative and all . " " Joe you didn't get sale , what's up ?" " it's all good boss . They totally feel our cool vibe and may come back . Or not ." Easy to say when you're salary . But when your income is based on students signing up and paying your mortgage, and supporting s family ,you might feel differently .. Too many school owners do it for the love which is great but love Doesn't get pay your bills and brother , I'm sorry we live in a capitalistic society that's made of money . Is what it is ..But whatever. Still wish u well as fellow human in this world , brother .

as much as I enjoy you guys discussing the issue and opposing viewpoints, I think your posts are very informative and I can see valid points from both of you, but can you please type in paragraphs?

I think what's really going to happen is greater and greater swaths of feeble ape creatures being rendered obsolete by humanities superior children as elite sets with the means enhance themselves to ever greater indistinguishable heights.

Man i can't wait.
I hope it's like Neuromancer with illegal biotech clinics and it's night all the time.

Saying that you have a contract is a good filter for the type of market you are targeting. Most upper middle classed people understand contracts and the reasonable conditions in breaking a contract.

This is a hater post. He is 19.There is no shame in his parents helping him achieve his dreams.

I always thought BJ Penn was a rich, but very talented kid, who never reached his potential because everything was handed to him.

Considering he was the first American Jiu Jitsu Black Belt World Champion, and the guy who Freddie Roach said has the best boxing in MMA, his record is 16-12, I would concur with my original statement that he did not reach his potential.

BJ Penn was a BJJ BB World champion and UFC champion in 2 different weight classes. What more would you expect? His record is due to fighting in multiple weighclasses and fighting after his prime. At one time BJ Penn was considered the Greatest MMA fighter of all time.

I was program manager at a martial arts school . I've been to business seminars with some of the top guys in the industry . They ALL have contracts . I'm glad you are doing " decent" . You may want to go Beyond decent someday . Or not . The way I was taught to sell was contracts first being offered to potential student ,( 3 year program ) , then 1 year then offer 6 months , then if they balk offer a 3 week trial course , then finally month to month , which was the most expensive for the student in the long run . 3 year and year contract saved student a lot of money . . My instructor had 300 students with a few people on payroll ( like me ).
The philosophy is you don't let them leave the school without getting something out of it . I didn't even pressure sell .it usually sold itself . 5 months ? I wouid expect you to do decent after 5 months . Let's talk in 5 years cause I'm telling you , if you want some security in the biz , everybody in the industry has them . Doesn't mean it's all they offer , but they def have them. My two cents . But what do I know ? Right ?
Wish you well and you are right , it's not rocket science , but as u expand and grow ( if you do ) you will find it will get more difficult to run. It's a good problem to have though , cause it means you're growing . Unless you're content on having a small student base of quality students ( some are ). But there's nothing wrong with making a really great living at something you love .
That's cool and everything but I hate dealing with contracts as a customer. I tried to get out of a martial arts contract once and it was terrible. The ridiculousness of the situation was that the school was closing anyway but the billing company would not let me out unless I was to pay an exorbitant fee. I just didn't pay it, left and the the gym closed the same week I quit. The terms are ridiculous. I will not join a gym with long term contracts. I will pay month to month.

Last edited:
The ridiculousness of the situation was that the school was closing anyway but the billing company would not let me out unless I was to pay an exorbitant fee

that's ridiculous, are you still obligated to the contract even though they are closing? Can that even be enforced? By them closing and being unable to offer their services, can they still hold you responsible for your end of the contract?

Yooo, this thread is some ridiculous hater shit. I think imma link this shit to gordon's facebook just so he can have a chance to defend himself. I don't even like the kid, and cant believe the nonsense I'm seeing here

This is a hater post. He is 19.There is no shame in his parents helping him achieve his dreams.

BJ Penn was a BJJ BB World champion and UFC champion in 2 different weight classes. What more would you expect? His record is due to fighting in multiple weighclasses and fighting after his prime. At one time BJ Penn was considered the Greatest MMA fighter of all time.

He was EXPECTED to be the greatest MMA fighter, he never lived up to it, he did not dominate a division like Jon Jones, Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, Demetrius Johnson,and Matt Hughes (who he beat). He certainly had the talent to do that, by no means was his career a failure, but he was never the best MMA fighter of all time. The most talented one, yes!

He is one of many, Jiu Jitsu is expensive, so you have to have money to practice. In order to practice full time I would imagine it would be hard to hold down a full time job, being that Jiu Jitsu pays very little. In a Jiu jitsu school I used to train at there were a number of full time jiu Jitsu guys who lived in their parents house. I am not going to pass judgement, but If I asked to do this when I was growing up, my parents would have told me to go fuck myself.

Regarding making a living with a Jiu Jitsu school when he "retires" from competition, it isn't as easy as it seems, many schools fail, and you need interpersonal skills to deal with clients who are paying $100 plus a month. Hopefully he naturally has these skills, because you do not get them from training.

Is BJJ really that expensive for most people? It's $100-200 a month unlimited, which is not a lot compared to other expenses, nor compared to other competitive sports. You don't need to travel until you are a high level competitor, and that's where the real costs add up. Just don't try to be a blue belt world champion, and train in a area with lots of high level players.

Training 2x a day is already pretty good. Early morning and evening, and that leaves the whole day for work or school. You need to be super disciplined, sure, but you won't make it to the top anyway if you weren't.

Is BJJ really that expensive for most people? It's $100-200 a month unlimited, which is not a lot compared to other expenses, nor compared to other competitive sports. You don't need to travel until you are a high level competitor, and that's where the real costs add up. Just don't try to be a blue belt world champion, and train in a area with lots of high level players.

Training 2x a day is already pretty good. Early morning and evening, and that leaves the whole day for work or school. You need to be super disciplined, sure, but you won't make it to the top anyway if you weren't.

First of all if you have an 9 to 5 job like most people do, it is hard to train 2 times a day. To me 100-200 dollars a month is a lot if you have car payments, mortgage payments, kids that are planning to go to college..etc.

First of all if you have an 9 to 5 job like most people do, it is hard to train 2 times a day. To me 100-200 dollars a month is a lot if you have car payments, mortgage payments, kids that are planning to go to college..etc.

I get that it's hard when you have lots of expenses, but it's wrong to say BJJ is expensive when many people pay 10x the price on rent or food per month.

Plus the thread was about a young kid with no obligations. He just has to cover his own BJJ, meals, and maybe rent. Even a Starbucks job would pay for a month of BJJ in one or two days.

I get that it's hard when you have lots of expenses, but it's wrong to say BJJ is expensive when many people pay 10x the price on rent or food per month.

Plus the thread was about a young kid with no obligations. He just has to cover his own BJJ, meals, and maybe rent. Even a Starbucks job would pay for a month of BJJ in one or two days.

I do see your point, if you have no obligations, and you have the means to train all day, it really is none of my business. Also, BJJ instructors have to put food on the table as well, so they may have to charge those prices to make a living. Regarding rent and food being more expensive, yes they are but they are necessities to live, BJJ is not.

150 a month isn't expensive. ask your parents what they paid when you were growing up playing multiple sports, etc....

150 a month isn't expensive. ask your parents what they paid when you were growing up playing multiple sports, etc....

Again, this may be a generational thing, I probably am considerably older than you, but growing up I went to a wrestling club that met on Monday and Wednesday all year round, it was taught by an NCAA Champion, and a World Silver Medalist, and he charged us $10 a year. Clubs like that probably do not exist anymore.

Back