Gordon "my parents pay for everything so I can train full time" Ryan

Will be interesting to see how he's doing in his 40s. Hopefully his parents still have a room.for him

Is that for real - i don;t really follow grappling much anymore.

He is one of many, Jiu Jitsu is expensive, so you have to have money to practice. In order to practice full time I would imagine it would be hard to hold down a full time job, being that Jiu Jitsu pays very little. In a Jiu jitsu school I used to train at there were a number of full time jiu Jitsu guys who lived in their parents house. I am not going to pass judgement, but If I asked to do this when I was growing up, my parents would have told me to go fuck myself.

Regarding making a living with a Jiu Jitsu school when he "retires" from competition, it isn't as easy as it seems, many schools fail, and you need interpersonal skills to deal with clients who are paying $100 plus a month. Hopefully he naturally has these skills, because you do not get them from training.

I don't know how much he is or isn't supported by his family financially but he's not an outlier. Robert Drysdale mentions in every interview that in Brazil it's acceptable to live with your parents until your mid 20's and to even be supported by them with little to no negative impact socially for doing so. He says it's not taboo there and that he lived with his mom and she helped support him well into adulthood and that he would never have made it to where he is without her.

I don't know how accurate that is for other people in Brazil but assuming that's at least partially true and how many trust fund kids train in America, then IF that is true about Gordon Ryan then he's in good company and I don't know what else there is to say.

He will probably have his own gym and make an ok living. If he has any inherentence he will be comfortable

That assuming that Bjj does not end up like the rest of the great martial arts that have peaked and now you cannot make living teaching it.

That assuming that Bjj does not end up like the rest of the great martial arts that have peaked and now you cannot make living teaching it.

I was going to say that. 10 years from now BJJ will just be like any other martial art. They won't be able to charge $150+ a month any longer, and I doubt many can make a career out of owning your own school like now. It's going to be just like karate, watch.

I was going to say that. 10 years from now BJJ will just be like any other martial art. They won't be able to charge $150+ a month any longer, and I doubt many can make a career out of owning your own school like now. It's going to be just like karate, watch.

I am thinking the same and that the reason why I feel sorry for the "full timers" that quit their job just train.

But you know what? People would call me a hater.

I blame their instructors and leaders in our sport. Always glorifying the lifestyle etc...but after the endless thread of pictures on instrgran and guru life coach posts on Facebook. How many out there are you really succeeding in running a gym and how many failed?

Well anyway, you need some serious cash to open a gym as well.

Last edited:
I don't know how much he is or isn't supported by his family financially but he's not an outlier. Robert Drysdale mentions in every interview that in Brazil it's acceptable to live with your parents until your mid 20's and to even be supported by them with little to no negative impact socially for doing so. He says it's not taboo there and that he lived with his mom and she helped support him well into adulthood and that he would never have made it to where he is without her.

I don't know how accurate that is for other people in Brazil but assuming that's at least partially true and how many trust fund kids train in America, then IF that is true about Gordon Ryan then he's in good company and I don't know what else there is to say.
Not only Brazil, where i live almost everyone under 30 live with their parents, absolutely normal.

And i guess Gordon is one of the few guys that make money competing in jiu jitsu and he is only 22.

He is one of many, Jiu Jitsu is expensive, so you have to have money to practice. In order to practice full time I would imagine it would be hard to hold down a full time job, being that Jiu Jitsu pays very little. In a Jiu jitsu school I used to train at there were a number of full time jiu Jitsu guys who lived in their parents house. I am not going to pass judgement, but If I asked to do this when I was growing up, my parents would have told me to go fuck myself.

Regarding making a living with a Jiu Jitsu school when he "retires" from competition, it isn't as easy as it seems, many schools fail, and you need interpersonal skills to deal with clients who are paying $100 plus a month. Hopefully he naturally has these skills, because you do not get them from training.
100% true. Being a good martial arts school owner isn't so much about your credentials ( unless you're Mendes Brothers or Marcelo or of that caliber ) . It's about your business skills and like u said , people skills. If you wanna make money in martial arts schools , you gotta teach everybody ( not just killers ). Soccer moms , kids , professional types etc). You wont make your bills with just competition team ). You gotta have contract, preferably with a billing company. . Month to month just won't cut it , crept in rare occurrences . Gotta sell merchandise. Gotta have way to market your school (direct mail , flyers , community events , Facebook , lead boxes at other business ,,good web site .etc ). Gotta know about insurance , accounting , taxes ...thats the good thing about a strip mall McDojo that's part of a national or international organization . They can help you with all this stuff , especially when you're a new owner. You could be a terrible competitor but be s successful school owner if you are good at the above .

Lol. He will have no idea how to live when his parents are gone.

How many of these kids in their late teens and early 20s that are training in expensive areas of the country (California, NY, etc.) at the most expensive BJJ gyms are able to financially support themselves? I'd bet very few if any. The only way I could see it happening is if the BJJ gym didn't charge them the full monthly rate due to their status and name they make for the gym.

So why hate on the guy? He's not the only one.

Summary of topic

player-haters-ball-t-shirts-men-s-t-shirt.jpg

How many of these kids in their late teens and early 20s that are training in expensive areas of the country (California, NY, etc.) at the most expensive BJJ gyms are able to financially support themselves? I'd bet very few if any. The only way I could see it happening is if the BJJ gym didn't charge them the full monthly rate due to their status and name they make for the gym.

So why hate on the guy? He's not the only one.

I may be a "player hater" myself, and I would not doubt that there is jealousy on my part, but people are always harping on the do nothing poor who do not get a job, and live off of welfare, this is the rich boy equivalent, they are living off the welfare of their parents. Furthermore, the exorbitant price is making BJJ into an elitist sport.

I may be a "player hater" myself, and I would not doubt that there is jealousy on my part, but people are always harping on the do nothing poor who do not get a job, and live off of welfare, this is the rich boy equivalent, they are living off the welfare of their parents. Furthermore, the exorbitant price is making BJJ into an elitist sport.

But it is the right of the parents to spoil their kids and let them compete and train in a niche sport where they can succeed.

The one that piss me off are the Bjj guys always begging money from the community like start a gofundme page and stuff like that .

But it is the right of the parents to spoil their kids and let them compete and train in a niche sport where they can succeed.

The one that piss me off are the Bjj guys always begging money from the community like start a gofundme page and stuff like that .

Good point, I have seen the go fund me stuff, I can't believe people actually contribute to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back