Good job NAC, way to protect the fighter.

So the question begs.... Does a low bpm Lee beat Anthony Padilla?

If his heart rate had been two beats higher he would have been pulled from the fight. His vitals are clearly othostatic (heart compensating due to low blood volume). That infection and weight cut was bad.

Agree.

If he was tested right after getting out of the sauna or exercising trying to cut that last pound, his heart rate would have been elevated too. It all depends when this was done. Sometimes it's just before they weigh in. This really could be just taken out of context depending when it was done.

I truly hope that is the case. If not, this is a grim situation. Even if the NSAC was on the fence and Lee pushed to be allowed to fight ( not saying that happened but it's a distinct possibility), the commission is there to be neutral and look out for the fighters.

No context to this situation. But Lee's huggers and excuse makers will run with this.

Maybe they measured him when he just got done running since he was cutting mad weight?

<TheWire1>

Maybe they measured him when he just got done running since he was cutting mad weight?

<TheWire1>
Nope nope can't be. Lee had staph which mutated to stage 12 pancreatic cancer, the NSAC doctors were giving him chemo before the fight and was as dehydrated as Evan Tanner in the desert. Only possible truff....

12 hours later I still feel bad for the Evan Tanner reference rip.

Last edited:
Not to go off topic, but the NAC also listed both fighters' weights at 155lbs.

Unless they are examined as they are standing on the scale, I don't buy the accuracy of the report

Lee lost get over it... maybe he should have got some defense soap

What is your profession?

He's clearly reaching hypotension (which I'm guessing is pretty far from his normal readings) and with a sky high heart rate like that he's obviously VERY dehydrated.

Not saying he's going to die from it, but allowing him to keep cuttng weight in that state is at best borderline.
What was he doing prior to those readings? What is his baseline BP? What are you basing he is reaching hypotension on? Did he have any dizziness upon standing?

I see nothing in those readings that's troubling since there is no context.

Yes...his blood pressure is well below normal....and for a trained fighter...his heart rate should be below 70.
His BP is not well below normal. I do hundreds every week and there is nothing troubling about that BP. Maybe you have access to his medical records and you know what his baseline is?

What was he doing prior to those readings? What is his baseline BP? What are you basing he is reaching hypotension on? Did he have any dizziness upon standing?

I see nothing in those readings that's troubling since there is no context.
I agree context matters a lot. Although his BP is low, it's more the conjuction with an abnormally high heart rate (IF we assume they didn't take it seconds after he just did something pretty high intensive). It seems likely that it takes some time to have him sit down, take his blood pressure and pulse, let him stand and take his pulse, which would mean that his heart rate should be closer to baseline. Low BP + very high heart rate = clear sign of pretty severe dehydration (which makes sense). Also, with a spike of 20ish bpm from sitting to standing, combined with the rest, it's more than likely he was dizzy and out of it.

Again, not saying he is about to die or anything, but it's outside of a sport like this no doctor would let him keep dehydrating himself.

Although his BP is low
The "normal" systolic reading would be 120, and hypotension (low BP) begins under 80. So his systolic reading is not even close to "low", he's about 1/3 of the way to being worrisome. His diastolic reading of 52 is possibly low, but without knowing his baseline it's impossible to say much about it, and it's not worrisome either way. I have many patients who live 24 hours a day with a very similar BP as this.

The heart rate is definitely high, but he was trying to lose weight and so may have been exercising where he may have been hitting 160. His high pulse is meaningless out of context, and it's not worrisome without additional details such as he went from 50 to 130 immediately for no reason. All that reading tells me is he should be monitored, which I would bet he was.

Why do I have to explain this do you people know why athletic commissions exist it was because of boxing and people making bets. They are there to make sure the contests legitimate in outcome or in the case of pro wrestling just put a entertainment tax on it. And to make sure everybody gets paid. Especially the state and if they have their tune a blind eye to something that's not going to compromise the integrity of bets they won't do a damn thing in this they have to.

They say they are there for safety but come on guys be realistic.

ACs exist to generate blood money for the state instead of for gangsters. Local government at its best.

The "normal" systolic reading would be 120, and hypotension (low BP) begins under 80. So his systolic reading is not even close to "low", he's about 1/3 of the way to being worrisome. His diastolic reading of 52 is possibly low, but without knowing his baseline it's impossible to say much about it, and it's not worrisome either way. I have many patients who live 24 hours a day with a very similar BP as this.

The heart rate is definitely high, but he was trying to lose weight and so may have been exercising where he may have been hitting 160. His high pulse is meaningless out of context, and it's not worrisome without additional details such as he went from 50 to 130 immediately for no reason. All that reading tells me is he should be monitored, which I would bet he was.
I was putting the BP into context, because while it's low, it's not alarmingly so. The thing is that coupled with the heart rate it rasies some red flags. I agree, it's all about the context, which is why you can't compare it to your patients (what is your profession?). He is in a high stress situation, having cut 18lbs of water with a borderline systolic and genuinely low diastolic, plus a very high heart rate that is susceptible to hydrostatic changes and poor filling (as pr. his jump upon standing). Can we agree that if he was not doing any strenious work up to a few min before and that was his readings you'd not recommend him to cut water weight? Wouldn't you say? It's 101 severe dehydration readings imo.

I'd like to know how a healthy athlete has 140 RESTING. He wasn't jumped in the Octagon by a doctor after fifteen rounds. My max after an hour of horrible bike cardio is 160 which drops almost instantly to 120 after stopping. Then goes down to 100 after a minute. Then to normal. I'm also 41.

Just checked my bpm an hour after two hours of bjj, 76 resting. Not great but fine at 41.

I'd like to know how a healthy athlete has 140 RESTING. He wasn't jumped in the Octagon by a doctor after fifteen rounds. My max after an hour of horrible bike cardio is 160 which drops almost instantly to 120 after stopping. Then goes down to 100 after a minute. Then to normal. I'm also 41.
He's right when he is taking about how the context matters. Being dehydrated + BP decreasing + stress of having to make weight and maybe doing exercise as well before the reading will definitely increase it beyond what you'd normally see. Still, 132-152 is high no matter what scenario you imagine.

Not necessarily life threatening or anything at all, he could have had some anxiety as well, clearly the parasympathetic system is on overdrive. With that said, no one outside of the sport would let this person continue to cut weight, but that's how it goes. They wont pull the plug unless it's immediate danger territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back