Good job NAC, way to protect the fighter.

Exactly. Normally one's pulse will nosedive as soon as they stop exerting themself. Lotta people on here apparently havent gotten within a mile of a treadmill, let alone used one.
I'd like to know how a healthy athlete has 140 RESTING. He wasn't jumped in the Octagon by a doctor after fifteen rounds. My max after an hour of horrible bike cardio is 160 which drops almost instantly to 120 after stopping. Then goes down to 100 after a minute. Then to normal. I'm also 41.

I'm an old fuck as compared to these prime young athletes. Why are their pulses so high?

your age doesnt matter. 66-76 like Ferguson had is perfectly normal.

having a really low heart rate like bisping has is actually unhealthy, its a type of heart block that has recently been linked to afib.

His BP is not well below normal. I do hundreds every week and there is nothing troubling about that BP. Maybe you have access to his medical records and you know what his baseline is?

If you don't think 103/52 or whatever it was isn't low for an adult man...you're f'king nuts...I suppose his 140bpm heart rate is normal also for a trained athlete...my dad is 79, works out a few times a week, and his bpm is 65bpm...so take your "I take guys blood pressures all the time" ummm, no you don't..your a guy who sits home in his parents basement and jerks off to your favorite fighters...right?

Agree.

If he was tested right after getting out of the sauna or exercising trying to cut that last pound, his heart rate would have been elevated too. It all depends when this was done. Sometimes it's just before they weigh in. This really could be just taken out of context depending when it was done.

I truly hope that is the case. If not, this is a grim situation. Even if the NSAC was on the fence and Lee pushed to be allowed to fight ( not saying that happened but it's a distinct possibility), the commission is there to be neutral and look out for the fighters.
It looks like the ufc needs medical professionals that are not under control by the UFC so they may treat in the best interest of the fighter opposed to the company. It was a shock to me seeing those vital signs before a fight and had this been before a military mission I would have pulled him out immediately. Just another reason IV hydration should be allowed for athletes. Its the fastest means of hydrating cells to include brain tissue.
th

Since I've been shit on in other threads for saying Lee should have never fought with his staph, I asked a dermatologist and my bjj coach (competing regularly) and they both agreed that Lee should have been anywhere but in the Octagon. The high pulse is another thing that shows that medical clearance is a joke. Hunt can't fight because he spoke about memory loss but Lee comes in a state that would see him hospitalized or at home in bed normally.

"I take guys blood pressures all the time" ummm, no you don't
Sorry, you're just wrong. 25 patients every day, at least once a shift, sometimes Q4 Q2 or every hour, for the past 8 years, I have taken well over 50,000 BP readings since I do ortho on everyone whether it's ordered or not. Not only am I right, the actual Dr who monitored him saw no problem. I think the jerking off in the basement I will leave to you. There is no context whatsoever for those readings and there is nothing worrisome there.

I guess your vast experience as a Dr working with fighters makes you an expert though, mind sending your Resume in to the AC, I look forward to you getting hired.

Still, 132-152 is high no matter what scenario you imagine.
High yes, but not so high as to warrant the fight called off. It warrants further monitoring. If anyone can show evidence this did not occur then they have a point.

The fact the AC made him get cleared suggests they did have him monitored.

His heart was beating fast because he was dehydrated with hypovolemia. That causes his blood pressure to drop. When blood pressure drops, Cardiac output drops i.e. you will not get enough blood to the organs.

To compensate for such low blood volume, the body increases the heart rate to make the heart pump harder and get blood to the system.

Also, you produce renin which will lead to angiotensin 2 which will retain salt to increase blood volume, produce ADH to minimize water loss, and constrict your peripheral blood vessels to force more blood back to the heart.

Plus the guy had an active infection which leads to inflammation and the loss of water from the blood.

If you go to an emergency room like Kevin was on that fight night, you will be pumped with so much IV fluids, and definitely not allowed to fight.

These UFC/NSAC doctors will get you killed for peanuts. LOL

Do you wanna be a fuckin fighter?

- Uncle Dana

When exactly were these tests taken? Was he cutting weight? Because we know Lee cuts insane weight.

I was putting the BP into context, because while it's low, it's not alarmingly so. The thing is that coupled with the heart rate it rasies some red flags. I agree, it's all about the context, which is why you can't compare it to your patients (what is your profession?)
I work with psychiatric patients.

Red flags, yes. Does that information provided in the OP alone mean the fight should have been called off? No.

If there was no activity causing the high blood pressure I would then try to ascertain what was the cause. I would likely make him wait 3-5 minutes and recheck it.

The fact the NAC made him get medically cleared makes me think fighter safety was a priority. I have no problem grabbing my pitchfork, but these readings with no context to put them in isn't going to get me to do it. Just being admitted to my unit I have seen raise someone's BP substantially. Context matters, one reading at one time with no context isn't going to do it for me. I am not saying wrongdoing did not occur, only that it's not proven in the OP.

When exactly were these tests taken? Was he cutting weight? Because we know Lee cuts insane weight.
I asked. Most people said stfu it doesn't matter (not all). We have no context for the readings that I have seen.

Sorry, you're just wrong. 25 patients every day, at least once a shift, sometimes Q4 Q2 or every hour, for the past 8 years, I have taken well over 50,000 BP readings since I do ortho on everyone whether it's ordered or not. Not only am I right, the actual Dr who monitored him saw no problem. I think the jerking off in the basement I will leave to you. There is no context whatsoever for those readings and there is nothing worrisome there.

I guess your vast experience as a Dr working with fighters makes you an expert though, mind sending your Resume in to the AC, I look forward to you getting hired.

normal systolic blood pressure is like 120...103 isn't low? haha looks pretty damm low to me...that is an obvious sign of dehydration...

Back