Good guy with a gun (uniformed cop) at Parkland Highschool shooting didn't engage shooter...

Just saw this. He was fired and the chief said he is basically a disgrace. I agree. A pussy. Ran away.

The original thread isn't even an hour old. Jesus Christ.

The school resource deputy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, waited outside the school building as the shooting unfolded last week, officials said.

Scot Peterson never went in after taking a position on the west side of the building, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a Thursday afternoon news conference.
Peterson resigned after he was suspended without pay by Israel pending an internal investigation into his actions during the shooting that left 17 people dead, Israel said. Peterson was eligible for retirement.
Israel made the decision to suspend Peterson -- who was armed and in uniform at the time of the shooting -- after interviewing the deputy and reviewing footage and witness statements, he said.
"What I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of building 12, take up a position," Israel said of the video. "And he never went in."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/us/florida-school-shooting/index.html

His involvement could have caused more bloodshed anyways, since he would have to locate the shooter and engage him in a densely populated school, and perhaps even elongate the spree.

The entire premise of this cop having this job and fulfilling that responsibility is asinine. A lot of cops would probably do the same thing in the shock of the moment. The idea that the introduction of a minimally armed officer is going to lessen death counts in the aggregate is silly.

I mean...I doubt he was ever thrilled about. A lot of people don't realize they're cowards until an actual situation like his.

You never fail to impress me with how wrong one human can be, no matter the issue.

No - you're right. Don't engage him in a firefight, the shooter might accidentally hit an innocent kid. Instead, let him shoot directly at the innocent kids while they flee in abject terror.

That's your logic. Really?

side-eye-chloe.jpg

Imagine what that's like, all you hear is the sound of assault rifle fire, you have no idea how many shooters are in the building and all you have is a pistol.
This wasn't some joe schmoe off the street who was handed a pistol. He was supposed to be a trained officer, in other words, someone who knows how to react in life threatening situations.

Wasn't there a Supreme Court ruling that essentially said police have no responsibility to risk their lives to save anyone?

Maybe I'm remember the exact opposite of what they ruled though.

Someone lawyer that shit up.

Hafta think odds on this dude suiciding are atleast 60/40.

I do say it was cowardly. However, have you seen what cops make annually? I wouldn't want to risk my life for that either. I have a family too. Then again, it's kids man...fucking high school brats but still. Tough call.

Would be interested to see if his actual reasons are provided.

The average cop is not capable of dealing with an active shooter, or proficient enough in room clearances (this is a training limitation, not disrespect to law enforcement).

The only acceptable reason would be if he judged the situation at the time and figured he would put more lives at risk by attempting to engage the threat with so many people around.

You never fail to impress me with how wrong one human can be, no matter the issue.

No - you're right. Don't engage him in a firefight, the shooter might accidentally hit an innocent kid. Instead, let him shoot directly at the innocent kids while they flee in abject terror.

side-eye-chloe.jpg

You should see his posts on how guns work. They're hilarious. I don't know if he's a troll or if he's really stupid enough to believe the things he types.

LMFAO @ not putting lead down range because you will kill more people than the bad guy putting MORE lead down range (before we even account for training). Priceless.

side-eye-chloe.jpg

No, you drooling moron.

My commentary is that required presence of an armed third party like that (a) won't necessarily help and could worsen the situation, and (b) will oftentimes result in errors in judgment or valor such as this. It's a giant expenditure and social risk or spurious benefits.

I do say it was cowardly. However, have you seen what cops make annually? I wouldn't want to risk my life for that either. I have a family too. Then again, it's kids man...fucking high school brats but still. Tough call.

So cops should be allowed to be cowards cuz they are underpaid? And cops are not fuckin underpaid. This was a cushy job and he was making good money. Probably thought he would never have to lift a finger.

Even his own department thinks he is a disgrace. That is the job he signed up for. To protect those kids. That was his sole fuckin purpose.

Hafta think odds on this dude suiciding are atleast 60/40.
He Dont give AF. He just wanted his pension. Probably sipping martini's in St Thomas or something while media storm blows over.

But... teachers with guns would've saved the day..?
If i understand this correctly it is because someone had a gun and didn't use it that they are getting fired. Obviously it's an oversimplification but still. Anyone with a good vantage point and a weapon could have saved the day including your grandma. Survival was the humanly error in this equation. He was outside and out of harms way and had zero idea of who was shooting, so he fled, like a little bitch. If you are trapped in a building with another person and the only way out is through him, yea your survival instincts may kick you in the other direction assuming you are armed.

If we are betting here then lets think for a moment. One shooter vs every teacher in the school with a gun. I don't know about you but i rather like those odds. we have the power of probability that at least one of them won't puss out.

You should see his posts on how guns work. They're hilarious. I don't know if he's a troll or if he's really stupid enough to believe the things he types.

LMFAO @ not putting lead down range because you will kill more people than the bad guy putting MORE lead down range (before we even account for training). Priceless.

I don't think I've ever made a comment on "how guns work." I'm pretty openly receptive to information and am open about my own knowledge limitations on this particular subject, which is why I often ask for and defer to the judgments of guys like @Cubo de Sangre, @Gregolian, and @HockeyBjj . You can ask anyone about my taking care not to make definitive or uninformed statements on firearms, since it's an area of personal informational deficit.

But your comment wasn't meant to be truthful or earnest. It was about partisan pot shots. Because you're a moron, with the maturity of a preschooler.

So let me get this straight.

A team of SWAT officers arrive at a crime scene, huddle around and game plan, take up position before slowly entering the building and clearing room by room. Yet this lone officer was supposed to rush in and "kill the killer"

Lol that's some bullshit.

The average cop is not capable of dealing with an active shooter, or proficient enough in room clearances (this is a training limitation, not disrespect to law enforcement).

The only acceptable reason would be if he judged the situation at the time and figured he would put more lives at risk by attempting to engage the threat with so many people around.

Maybe cops shouldn't carry guns if they fuck up this bad, right?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/police-shoots-kills-man-ax-queens-article-1.1984914
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25/nypd-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire.html

The training they receive is the same level that middle schoolers should get, not grown adults that we trust to wear Halloween costumes and pretend they're competent at law enforcement.

The only reason you’d wait is for more officers to go in as a team. That’s it.

Cops have plenty of training and experience room clearing. We do it constantly on alarm calls going through homes and businesses. Active shooter tranining specifically is also more and more common.

It’s not an issue of training. The training is get to and engage the threat as soon as possible. That means bypassing victims on the ground including other officers. Stop the shooter is the #1 priority, no matter what training or experience or equipment you have or lack.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever made a comment on "how guns work." I'm pretty openly receptive to information and am open about my own knowledge limitations on this particular subject, which is why I often ask for and defer to the judgments of guys like @Cubo de Sangre, @Gregolian, and @HockeyBjj . You can ask anyone about my taking care not to make definitive or uninformed statements on firearms, since it's an area of personal informational deficit.

But your comment wasn't meant to be truthful or earnest. It was about partisan pot shots. Because you're a moron, with the maturity of a preschooler.

Adults were talking, stay out, troll.

Except that there's been multiple cases of civilians with guns stopping mass shooters already.

How quickly you forget just a few months ago the mass shooter in Texas was chased and killed by a civilian with an AR15 before he could target another soft target area.
07046a8ebceb9243917bc4e6fb7ee677.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mapichtli
Back