Good guy with a gun (uniformed cop) at Parkland Highschool shooting didn't engage shooter...

The future according to the "arm the teachers instead"

28166587_1694873647225879_869351455234887419_n.jpg

Yes, I agree. That definitely seems more negligent than a scared, cowardly guard that failed in their job when the shooting already began.
I just don't get how the 40 something local PD calls and the FBI didn't put two and two together.

Case of the right hand not knowing the left exists I think

Sure, but not sure I agree with what you said that he should be crucified worse than the person who was pulling the trigger killing children.

I base that on the fact that intervening was his job. A job he accepted money for, presumably trained for and then failed to even act.

The social crucifixion should be right up there. Because while he didn't directly harm anyone, if he had acted he might have prevented some of those deaths. And he took money specifically based on the assurance that he would act to prevent deaths.

If he was a volunteer, I'd feel differently.

That's mostly what I imagine as well. They'll hunker down and guard their students. Gotta arm janitors too. They wouldn't have students they'd be obligated to stay with, know the lay of the land, and probably have enough of a chip on their shoulder from working such a shit job that they'll relish the opportunity to take it out on some fuckhead. Get that 15 minutes of fame and be somebody for a change. :cool:

You see that door-blocker some kid invented in metal shop? Pretty damn cool.

https://whdh.com/news/wisconsin-teen-invents-school-door-locking-device/
Wouldn't this work just as well?
7ebe2c80-da08-47f8-a1a1-de348bdb1f37.png

hiho Bloody Pulp,

i respect and have been friendly with LEOs in the past, so i don't mean my comments to be demeaning at all.

i just think, when push comes to shove and one is alone, without the presence of one's peers or superiors to clarify the situation, folks can fail to react properly in a scenario that has no precedent.

also, as an ordinary guy who drives a Honda and never has been closer to a real life shooting situation that a round of Counterstrike, i find the very act of going into that school a heroic one, even if it one's job. there's quite a racket going on in there, afterall, and it must have been difficult to guess how many foes were in there.

all those sceams, and apparently, too much time to ponder the correct course of action.

i wonder if the shooter had emerged if this Deputy would have ducked low and hid?

- IGIT

No clarification is needed. There is plenty of precedent. You go in. Any cop would tell you the same. I can pretty much guarantee no cop is “not sure” about what their supposed to do there.

It doesn’t matter how many foes there might be or how much louder their guns are. You go in and engage with them.

That's just absurd. Socially or criminally, he does not deserve the same wrath as a maniac who killed 17 innocent people.

Socially, not criminally, I think they're close but I can agree with the shooter being worse. However, my position is based on the fact that this is job for which he signed up, took money and then didn't act. By acting, he might have impacted the number of people who ultimately died. He took a job to do that and then let his protectees down.

I have absolute sympathy for his choices in a very difficult time but social crucifixion is not unreasonable in his case because of the employment component.

thats not really what i meant.

ask any guy about that shooter situation, and id bet youd get near 100% of us saying that we'd go in and stop the guy. put any guy in the sitaution, and you'd get much less than 100% actually running in there to do it. john smith may truly believe that he'd run in and stop the guy, but would he when the time comes? no way to know.
That number should be 100% when we’re talking about police officers. That’s why he was there.

He’ll have to live the rest of his life knowing he was a failure & how his cowardice prevented him from possibly saving the lives he was there to protect. I don’t think he should be in trouble though. The shame & humility he has to live with is enough punishment.

I guess for now on we should only have police officers that are combat veterans in charge of protecting our kids.

He played safe can´t blame him, maybe he could have stood ground from a hallway but going head to head against a Ar15 carrying a pistol is not easy.

And fuck all the people happy about him not engaging just because you cunts are antigun.

That number should be 100% when we’re talking about police officers. That’s why he was there.

He’ll have to live the rest of his life knowing he was a failure & how his cowardice prevented him from possibly saving the lives he was there to protect. I don’t think he should be in trouble though. The shame & humility he has to live with is enough punishment.

I guess for now on we should only have police officers that are combat veterans in charge of protecting our kids.

there arent enough combat vets who want to be police officers to cover EVERY school in the US.

we'll have to gamble on some people, and hope theyre right that theyre ready to run into danger.

The shame & humility he has to live with is enough punishment.

Shame and humility have left these parts. What you meant to say is he'll develop an opioid addiction soon enough.

there arent enough combat vets who want to be police officers to cover EVERY school in the US.

we'll have to gamble on some people, and hope theyre right that theyre ready to run into danger.
I don’t know if that’s true. Seems like every police force has a lot of veterans. If not, the police chief can pick the officers who have experience in hostile situations.

When I was in school, the school cops were the old guys close to retirement

I don’t know if that’s true. Seems like every police force has a lot of veterans. If not, the police chief can pick the officers who have experience in hostile situations.

When I was in school, the school cops were the old guys close to retirement
Or the young new dudes fresh out of academy.

Or the young new dudes fresh out of academy.
Yeah I’d really like to know their criteria for picking these officers that are essentially armed security guards. I bet there has never been any criteria. They probably just assume any officer is qualified. Which isn't an unreasonable assumption. It’s something I never thought about until now.

Socially, not criminally, I think they're close but I can agree with the shooter being worse. However, my position is based on the fact that this is job for which he signed up, took money and then didn't act. By acting, he might have impacted the number of people who ultimately died. He took a job to do that and then let his protectees down.

I have absolute sympathy for his choices in a very difficult time but social crucifixion is not unreasonable in his case because of the employment component.

Regardless, I still don't agree that you can hold a guy who failed in his duty, up to even remotely the same fire as the maniac, in any capacity.

If the guy had shit his pants when it first started, and let the guy in the building to commit the crime and was thus partly responsible for the massive loss of life, fine, I could see that. But this is him simply not deciding to engage a guy who has him completely outgunned. We also don't know the info he had. The swat team were fucking up in there, and pegging the wrong people as suspects. For all we know, he could've made the situation worse. There is no real strategy to send one guy with a revolver to engage this dude in a building.

That's really neither here nor there though. He failed to act. Dishonorable. Get him off the force.
That's a fair criticism. Putting him on any sort of equal plane with the killer, because he didn't honor his $40,000 a year salary by walking into what would likely be certain death, or a fruitless endeavor, is a bit much, though.

So let me get this straight.

A team of SWAT officers arrive at a crime scene, huddle around and game plan, take up position before slowly entering the building and clearing room by room. Yet this lone officer was supposed to rush in and "kill the killer"

Lol that's some bullshit.
He's paid 75k a year in part in case something like this happens , guy should be paying back some of his past salary preferably to the families .

He played safe can´t blame him, maybe he could have stood ground from a hallway but going head to head against a Ar15 carrying a pistol is not easy.

And fuck all the people happy about him not engaging just because you cunts are antigun.
You can fucking blame him ( I guess we know what you would do ) and fuck you for saying anyone is happy about this.

You sure nailed it when you chose your username

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back