Good guy with a gun (uniformed cop) at Parkland Highschool shooting didn't engage shooter...

The only thing we can do to stop this is give guns, more guns.
If not they will take our guns.
Per the Tobacco lobby errrrrr I mean the NRA.
As long as it's the right chipping away at our second Amendment freedom, it's fine, perfectly fine.

First, they came for my bumpstocks...

I do say it was cowardly. However, have you seen what cops make annually? I wouldn't want to risk my life for that either. I have a family too. Then again, it's kids man...fucking high school brats but still. Tough call.

Police officer pay varies wildly based on the region of the country. The pay in some departments (EG Nassau and Suffolk County PD on Long Island) is mind-bogglingly high.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/13/cops-massive-salaries-are-robbing-taxpayers-blind/

A friend of my dad's is pulling down double pensions from the the NYPD and Nassau county PD. He left the NYPD as a sergeant and was hired then as a lieutenant in the Hofstra University police detachment. He currently lives in a huge house on a golf course in Arizona and owns his own Cessna.

Yeah a lot of dudes are really flogging their dongs on this one. Not everyone eagerly rushes into a situation where the only thing they know for sure is that they are outgunned- not even internet warrior supremo tough motherfuckers running Microsoft Edge.

There is a lot of compelled reverence for police in the US, and to a lesser extent Canada.
I thought the whole point of all the decals and "thank you for your service." and vociferous support by their police unions was for moments like school massacres.
Of course no one expects him to be Roland Deschain, but if you put on a uniform and accept the plaudits that come with that uniform, then you need to do your job, otherwise what's the point?
When people needed him most he didn't serve or protect, when that was the primary function of his job.
This doesn't make him a bad human being, just a tragically ineffectual peace officer.
If we are going to praise them for being cops then we should also be able to criticize them for not living up to the standards that they themselves base the identity of their uniform on.

Police do nothing for years regarding this kid cruz and then the most important officer does nothing when the kid finally snaps.

Im numb to this and i expect more school shootings until society decays further. This happens so frequently its like finding out its raining today.

I usually don't get pissed off but this just sickens me. They have protocol for school shooters. You have to engage no matter the odds either kill him or absorb bullets. Do your job. FFS.

Sounds like this guy is great at his job.

They forced him to resign and retire at the same time. What a disgrace. This can could have saved some lives.
No, they put him on suspension, pending review, and he chose to resign on the spot.

This is referred to as "resigning under cloud."

I honestly cant belive you guys are blaming this street cop bobby dude and calling him a coward for not going in rambo style, clearly outgunned and possibly outnumbered... I just cant belive what im reading here...
the thing that gets me is cops very often do not engage without backup, often as SOP and often under direct orders, so I wonder what the circumstances are in this case why the same behavior looks to be fireable.

Sickening. On the other hand, one of the teachers or coaches threw himself in harm’s way to shield the kids and ended up dying.

So soldiers with all of their training freeze but teachers with a weekender course is good to go?
Where do illegally obtained guns originate? Vast, vast majority were legally purchased at their inception. If there less of those to be stolen than less will end up on the streets. Which guns in these mass shootings were illegally obtained? San Bernadino is the one off the top of my head is the only one.
Mine wasn't a defense of the teacher idea, but rather a criticism the TS's criticism of armed response with no apparent purpose. The implication is anti-2nd Amendment, typical of the TS, and I sought to point out that this sort of arbitrary violence is present in other countries as well, some with fewer guns, and some who ban guns.

Mine wasn't a defense of the teacher idea, but rather a criticism the TS's criticism of armed response with no apparent purpose. The implication is anti-2nd Amendment, typical of the TS, and I sought to point out that this sort of arbitrary violence is present in other countries as well, some with fewer guns, and some who ban guns.
TS is certainly a dick isn't he?

A kid at school is hitting other kids with a stick. Do we?

A) Give all the kids sticks?
B) Give only the adept kids sticks who know how to use them?
C) Take away the stick?

Soldiers freeze in war, too. I'm not sure staking arguments on individual human flaws is fruitful unless you'd care to examine the data in more depth to demonstrate how often armed guards freeze versus how often they respond (not just in schools).

Besides, the threat of illegally obtained guns (or other weapons) doesn't go away if you remove the guns. Your prime problem cited in this thread still exists.
Ok. But this event wasn't about an illegally obtained gun as far as I know. So this isn't a very good point.

I usually don't get pissed off but this just sickens me. They have protocol for school shooters. You have to engage no matter the odds either kill him or absorb bullets. Do your job. FFS.

Right? Don't you take an oath to serve and protect?

Don't apply for the job.

i dont think anyone really KNOWS what theyll do in that situation. we all think we'd run in and stop the guy, but i dont think you could know for sure unless you were put in the situation.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Thursday said he has suspended without pay the school resource officer who was at the Parkland school where 17 people were shot dead.

Israel said school resource officer Scot Peterson took a position outside of the school but "never went in" as the onslaught occurred, citing security footage.

"In the case of Scot Peterson, our school resource deputy, I want to clarify any rumors, conjecture or stories that may have been out there," Israel said.

Israel said Peterson was "absolutely on campus," adding that he was armed and in uniform during the shooting.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...r-Who-Was-at-Parkland-Shooting-474889753.html

"After seeing video and witness statements, and Peterson's own statement, I decided this morning ... to suspend Scot Peterson without pay pending an internal investigation," Israel said, adding Peterson chose to then resign and retire.

When asked what Peterson should have done during the shooting, Israel said he should have "went in, addressed the killer and killed" him.

"Our main goal at this point, absent of helping these families heal and keeping our schools safe, is making sure this killer receives the justice he deserves," Israel previously said.

In 2014, the Broward County Crime Commission awarded Peterson with the title of School Resource Officer of the Year for the City of Parkland District.

The group said Peterson proved "to be reliable in handling issues with tact and judgment."

So a police officer with full police officer training didn't run into the building to have a shootout with the shooter but the plan is to arm teachers and give them a training course? Do we really expect an officer with a handgun to engage unknown number of assailants with AR-15's? I believe it has been established through the courts, maybe even SCOTUS that they don't have to risk their lives in such a way. The guy froze or "chickened out" but at the end of the day it's a job.
So what were your motives by wording it “good guy with a gun”? That’s really strange. Any normal person would just say police officer. You’re a weird one

Felt pretty sick to my stomach when I heard this.

I am angered, but also feel extremely bad for this guy.. will forever be remembered as a coward.

i dont think anyone really KNOWS what theyll do in that situation. we all think we'd run in and stop the guy, but i dont think you could know for sure unless you were put in the situation.
This is akin to those dude's in like 2004 that refused to go to Iraq because "I didn't know I'd be asked to fight"

Bitch, YOU'RE IN THE ARMY INFANTRY! YOU HAVE TO ASK TO BE PUT THERE PUTO!

but also feel extremely bad for this guy.. will forever be remembered as a coward.
I don't.

So what were your motives by wording it “good guy with a gun”? That’s really strange. Any normal person would just say police officer. You’re a weird one
Because "good guy with a gun" is the constant bullshit NRA pushback answer to any shooting - "moar gunz"! "Good guy with a gun" is being used to arm teachers who will have a weekender or training. NRA is the gun manufacturer lobby who wants to sell more guns. That's it.

I feel you - but until you are put in a life or death situation, does anyone of us know how we'd react?

I am not making excuses for him because he was supposed to be a trained professional and it was his duty to protect, just bringing a human point of view to this.

He obviously failed in his duty and is a coward.. but I do pity him for disgracing himself and having to live with that shit the rest of his days.

Back