Glory 36 Germany & Glory Collision: Verhoeven vs. Hari (Discussion) 11am EST & 4pm EST

muay thai is the only sport i follow where you can spread nonsense like that and not get called out
And when people do try and correct people on basic facts about the sport or moan about the extend of the misinformation or outright lying that goes on about muay thai, then they get called hipsters and fanboys. Goes to show how backward the English speaking kickfighting community is.

Ok, but the thing is that the dutch are supposed to be the first people who were smart enough to combine punching and leg kicking and then swept the floor with the thais, that's total bullshit. What Bas Rutten said and what you're saying aren't remotely the same. So what Rutten is saying is very far from the truth.
Its just not as romantic a folk tale if you say "Some Thais were doing that before us but we were the first besides them, and when we fought the Thais most of us lost but there was this one guy who could beat Thais who weren't half his size. Then K-1 changed the rules so we don't really fight the Thais anymore" lol

Ok, but the thing is that the dutch are supposed to be the first people who were smart enough to combine punching and leg kicking and then swept the floor with the thais, that's total bullshit. What Bas Rutten said and what you're saying aren't remotely the same. So what Rutten is saying is very far from the truth.

I didn't hear what he said, I can't play sound where I am now, but will check it out later. To be fair the Dutch did somehow a great job at combining full contact kicking techniques and western boxing - even better than the Japanese did IMO. The Thais were definitely dominating in the 70's and 80's (arguably still today but back then it was even more obvious) but their style wasn't that reliant on boxing back then.

Of course some of them transitioned to Western Boxing with great success and guys like Samart were amazing at combining both Muay Thai and Western Borxing together, but the majority of the Thai fighters were mostly winning their fights with what they're famous for: kicking, clinch + knees and elbows, rather than using proper western boxing techniques.

So there seems to be some kind of truth in what Bas Rutten says, even though as SuperLuigi said it's heavily romantized :)

Last edited:
but there was this one guy who could beat Thais who weren't half his size. Then K-1 changed the rules so we don't really fight the Thais anymore" lol

The Dutch were still fighting the Thais in their own turf even after K-1 was created. The problem that Thom Harinck mentioned a few times in interviews and his book is that Dutch people tend to be much taller and heavier than the Thais on average (they're even taller than most people in Europe on average), of course small and light Dutch guys exist, but the majority of the top Dutch Fighters or guys training Kickboxing in the Netherlands were way too big to fight Thais, so K-1 with its open weight made a lot more sense for them (think Ernesto Hoost, Peter Aerts, Branko Cikatić, Rob Kaman, Peter Smit, Lloyd van Dams, etc. etc.). The majority of Dutch guys fought above 70kg and most of them above 80kg or more, while the Thais pretty much all fought below 70kg apart from a few exceptions. I mean Dieselnoi who was 1.88m was fighting mostly around 61 or 62kg...

Last edited:
I didn't hear what he said, I can't play sound where I am now, but will check it out later. To be fair the Dutch did somehow a great job at combining full contact kicking techniques and western boxing. The Thais were definitely dominating in the 70's and 80's but their style wasn't that reliant on boxing back then. Of course some of them transitioned to Western Boxing with great success and guys like Samart were amazing at combining both Muay Thai and Western Borxing together, but the majority of the Thai fighters were mostly winning their fights with what they're famous for: kicking, clinch + knees and elbows, rather than using proper western boxing techniques (even better than the Japanese did IMO). So there seems to be some kind of truth in what Bas Rutten says.
Not true at all. First off, plenty of thai who fought during the 70's and 80's had a punch heavy style or were good boxers, probably more than today. Second, you've basically conceded that what the Dutch were doing was not in any way unique. And thirdly if the Dutch did such a great job at combining boxing and kicking and this was such a great and revolutionary development, then how come they have so little to show for it. Which Dutch fighters wiped the floor with the Thais? Mikael Liewfat? Andre Massuer? Leo da Snoo? Michael Babb? Tommy Van Dan Berg? Where was their great boxing? Watch the fights between dutch and thai fighters which took place from the mid 80s to mid 90's, they would have fought each other hundreds of times. The Dutch maybe won 5 or 10% of the fights and they got beat up every which way. No objective observer could watch those fights and think that the Dutch a substantial advantage in any area.

The Dutch were still fighting the Thais in their own turf even after K-1 was created. The problem that Thom Harinck mentioned a few times in interviews and his book is that Dutch people tend to be much taller and heavier than the Thais on average (they're even taller than most people in Europe on average), of course small and light Dutch guys exist, but the majority of the top Dutch Fighters or guys training Kickboxing in the Netherlands were way too big to fight Thais, so K-1 with its open weight made a lot more sense for them (think Ernesto Hoost, Peter Aerts, Branko Cikatić, Rob Kaman, Peter Smit, Lloyd van Dams, etc. etc.). The majority of Dutch guys fought above 70kg and most of them above 80kg or more, while the Thais pretty much all fought below 70kg apart from a few exceptions.
That isn't true. The majority of the dutch guys I know of from the 80's to early 90's fought at 70kgs or below. You just don't know who they are because they had to fight against stiff competition unlike the Hoosts, Smits and Cikatic's of the world. All the guys who I already named fought at about 70kgs or less, but there are plenty of other guys where that came from. The vast majority of the fighters from the Netherlands during that era have been forgotten and for good reason, they weren't any good.

Not true at all. First off, plenty of thai who fought during the 70's and 80's had a punch heavy style or were good boxers, probably more than today. Second, you've basically conceded that what the Dutch were doing was not in any way unique. And thirdly if the Dutch did such a great job at combining boxing and kicking and this was such a great and revolutionary development, then how come they have so little to show for it. Which Dutch fighters wiped the floor with the Thais? Mikael Liewfat? Andre Massuer? Leo da Snoo? Michael Babb? Tommy Van Dan Berg? Where was their great boxing? Watch the fights between dutch and thai fighters which took place from the mid 80s to mid 90's, they would have fought each other hundreds of times. The Dutch maybe won 5 or 10% of the fights and they got beat up every which way. No objective observer could watch those fights and think that the Dutch a substantial advantage in any area.

That isn't true. The majority of the dutch guys I know of from the 80's to early 90's fought at 70kgs or below. You just don't know who they are because they had to fight against stiff competition unlike the Hoosts, Smits and Cikatic's of the world. All the guys who I already named fought at about 70kgs or less, but there are plenty of other guys where that came from. The vast majority of the fighters from the Netherlands during that era have been forgotten and for good reason, they weren't any good.

Let's not turn this in to a Dutch vs. Thai argument. You seem heavily biased while I'm trying to be objective and give credit to both. I never said the Dutch wiped the floor with the Thais, I actually said they got heavily beat when they started fighting them in the 70's.

However guys like Gilbert Ballantine, Ramon Dekkers, Peter Smit, Ivan Hyppolite, and many more gave some good fights to the Thais, more so than a lot of other nations.

I'm not saying they won the majority of their fights or had the edge, I'm saying they started winning quite a few fights vs. the Thais which was unprecedented. If you look at how they won those fights, it was mostly by heavily relying on punching, and a lot of their wins were first or second round KO's by punches. I'm not saying the Thais were bad boxers, I'm saying they were relying more on other weapons such as clinch + knees and elbows to win their fights vs. the Dutch.

I watch a lot of old tapes of those fights and also listened to quite a few interviews in Dutch from guys like Thom Harinck and Lucien Carbin who explain how they fighters did back in the day and how they lost and won (they're quite honest about the superiority of the Thais from those days).

Saying the 'majority' of Dutch fighters from the 80's and 90's were fighting at 70kgs or below is not true. There were quite a few indeed, but they also had a lot of guys from Mejiro gym, Chakuri and Vos Gym who just couldn't cut weight to 70kgs or below as they were too big / too tall.

Here's a list of some dutch fighters from the time who fought at or below 70kgs:
Gilbert Ballintine
Ramon Dekkers
Noel Van Den Heuvel
Stuart Ballintine
Leo De Snoo
Tommy Van Den Berg
Joao Vierra
John Fortes
Andre Masseur
Mikael Lewfat
Michael Babb
Hassan Kassriouri
Rayen Simson
Hassan Ettaki
Ivan Hyppolite
Orlando Wiet
Perry Uebeda
Gerald Zwane
Teken Domnez
Affie Salmon

However guys like Gilbert Ballantine, Ramon Dekkers, Peter Smit, Ivan Hyppolite, and many more gave some good fights to the Thais, more so than a lot of other nations.

I'm not saying they won the majority of their fights or had the edge, I'm saying they started winning quite a few fights vs. the Thais which was unprecedented.
Again, not true. There had already been Japanese fighters in the 70's who achieved result which were better than anything the Dutch have ever done, and one even won a stadium title. French fighters from the 80' and 90's, who were contemporaries of the guys you mentioned, were more accomplished than almost all the best Dutch fighters. Fighters from the UK would arguably have been the equals of most of the Dutch contingent at the time.

Let's not turn this in to a Dutch vs. Thai argument. You seem heavily biased while I'm trying to be objective and give credit to both. I never said the Dutch wiped the floor with the Thais, I actually said they got heavily beat when they started fighting them in the 70's.
Again, if you go back to the original point you were defending Rutten and saying there was some truth to what he was saying, there isn't. The Dutch didn't wipe the floor with the Thais, they got handily beat in every era that they fought them.

Here's a list of some dutch fighters from the time who fought at or below 70kgs:
Gilbert Ballintine
Ramon Dekkers
Noel Van Den Heuvel
Stuart Ballintine
Leo De Snoo
Tommy Van Den Berg
Joao Vierra
John Fortes
Andre Masseur
Mikael Lewfat
Michael Babb
Hassan Kassriouri
Rayen Simson
Hassan Ettaki
Ivan Hyppolite
Orlando Wiet
Perry Uebeda
Gerald Zwane
Teken Domnez
Affie Salmon

If you made a list of the Dutch Fighters from the times who fought above 70kgs, the list would be even longer. They're not all famous as a lot of them were fighting Europeans and Americans, especially in rulesets like Savate and American style kickboxing as K-1 didn't exist yet. Look at the lists of fighters from the main Dutch gyms from those times, a larger portion of those fighters were fighting above 70kgs, but you're having none of it.

Again, not true. There had already been Japanese fighters in the 70's who achieved result which were better than anything the Dutch have ever done, and one even won a stadium title. French fighters from the 80' and 90's, who were contemporaries of the guys you mentioned, were more accomplished than almost all the best Dutch fighters. Fighters from the UK would arguably have been the equals of most of the Dutch contingent at the time.

They were a lot of good French and Japanese fighters at the time too, but the lists aren't as long. How many can you name? :)

Again, if you go back to the original point you were defending Rutten and saying there was some truth to what he was saying, there isn't. The Dutch didn't wipe the floor with the Thais, they got handily beat in every era that they fought them.

Come on dude I said about 3 times that I never said they wiped the floor with the Thais or that Rutten was right. I said there was a part of truth in the history he's explaining even though it's heavily romantized. I'm not defending Rutten, but he's not just completely bullshiting like you're making it out to be.

They were a lot of good French and Japanese fighters at the time too, but the lists aren't as long. How many can you name? :)
Dany Bill
Guillerme Kerner
Joel Caesar
Manu Ntoh
Mourad Sari
Stephan Nikema
Dida Diafat
Jo Prestia
Christian Garros
Fabrice Payan
Jean Charles Skarbowsky
Kader Mayouf
Eddy Saban

This guys were, for the most part, alot better than their Dutch contemporaries.

Dany Bill
Guillerme Kerner
Joel Caesar
Manu Ntoh
Mourad Sari
Stephan Nikema
Dida Diafat
Jo Prestia
Christian Garros
Fabrice Payan
Jean Charles Skarbowsky
Kader Mayouf
Eddy Saban

This guys were, for the most part, alot better than their Dutch contemporaries.

Good list but most of those guys were fighting in the late 90's early 2000's, not the 80's or early 90's like the Dutch guys we were talking about.

Good list but most of those guys were fighting in the late 90's early 2000's, not the 70's, 80's or early 90's like the Dutch guys we were talking about.
No. As I already said these guys were contemporaries with the Dutch guys I listed, most of them fought from the late 80's or early 90's into the late 90's or early 2000s.

People talk about Thai fanboyism, what about Dutch fanboyism. The amount of PR and shilling and outright lying which is done to make the Dutch look good is astounding. And the worst part is that alot of it comes from people within the Dutch kickboxing community, they're shameless. The Dutch spend the better part of two decade getting their asses handed to them by the thais and the story that comes out is that they revolutionised the sport and accomplished things that were unprecedented. It's a complete joke.

The Thais were definitely dominating in the 70's and 80's (arguably still today but back then it was even more obvious)
It's not "arguable" that the Thais dominate muay thai today, they do dominate muay thai today. The thais have and do dominate muay thai to an extent which is far greater than any other mainstream combat sport I know of.

No. As I already said these guys were contemporaries with the Dutch guys I listed, most of them fought from the late 80's or early 90's into the late 90's or early 2000s.

Skarbowsky started fighting on the European circuit in 95 and only started fighting Thais in 97. Dany Bill started fighting Thais around 93 - 94. Even Dida who was one of the first Frenches to fight in Thailand only started in the 90's. Manu Ntoh started fighting Thais in 95 too.

Compare that to Gilbert Ballantine, Dekkers, etc. they were already fighting Thai's in the 80's, some even in the late 70's.

Most of those French and Dutch fighters fought each other in the 90's though as you said, so it's a bit of a pointless argument.

People talk about Thai fanboyism, what about Dutch fanboyism. The amount of PR and shilling and outright lying which is done to make the Dutch look good is astounding. And the worst part is that alot of it comes from people within the Dutch kickboxing community, they're shameless. The Dutch spend the better part of two decade getting their asses handed to them by the thais and the story that comes out is that they revolutionised the sport and accomplished things that were unprecedented. It's a complete joke.

You can't deny that the Dutch have done great overall, did decent in Muay Thai especially outside of Thailand against other nations, and absolutely dominated the Kickboxing / K-1 / Glory scenes if you put Muay Thai aside - where the Thais have always dominated and will continue to dominate for obvious reasons.

It's not "arguable" that the Thais dominate muay thai today, they do dominate muay thai today. The thais have and do dominate muay thai to an extent which is far greater than any other mainstream combat sport I know of.

You're talking about pure Muay Thai, while I'm talking about "Kickfighting" in general be it Japanese - K-1 style Kickboxing / Savate / Muay Thai. Of course the Thais dominate Muay Thai, just get off your high horses for a second. Where are you from out of curiosity?

Also that "domination which is to an extent far greater than any other mainstream sport" is because there's no other mainstream combat sport which is a country's national sport where fighters start their professional career when they're younger than 10 years old, and have had several hundred fights by the time they are in their early twenties. Even in Western Boxing and MMA no one fights professionally every weekend when they're 8 or 9 years old.

Last edited:
I think its just that those stories about the 80s and 90s fighters happened before there was internet or when there was primative expensive internet, so there wasn't anyone doing fact checking and the mythology spiraled out of control. Now we find ourselves in the awkward position of being given all the facts and noting the discrepancies. They will be corrected, but it takes time.

Back