Glory 36 Germany & Glory Collision: Verhoeven vs. Hari (Discussion) 11am EST & 4pm EST

Ya I'll take the blame on the tangent. This was sparked by the notion that you shouldn't dispute fighters opinions because they are more educated. They can be as unreliable as your random fan, and Bas was an example.

*EDIT - Gold Belt bitches, God damn I've spent too much time here over the years...

What's ironic is I litterally signed up for this board because I kept reading misinformation about Muay Thai from MMA guys and wanted to correct them.

Ya I'll take the blame on the tangent. This was sparked by the notion that you shouldn't dispute fighters opinions because they are more educated. They can be as unreliable as your random fan, and Bas was an example.

*EDIT - Gold Belt bitches, God damn I've spent too much time here over the years...

What's ironic is I litterally signed up for this board because I kept reading misinformation about Muay Thai from MMA guys and wanted to correct them.

I hold my hands up, I also derailed the thread with the easy help of jtwarwagon4life
I still enjoyed the discussion though and learnt a few things along the way :)

are we still talking about this? because that interview with Dekkers is pretty bad.

I don't mind at all Dekkers talking himself up. every pro fighter is delusional to an extent and it takes some delusional to become that good. but when people produce an hour long video based on lies it is pretty bad.

Ramon Dekkers was a true warrior and such a fun fighter to watch. there's no need at all to make things up to hype him.

Regarding Holzken-Doumbe:

Do you think part of the reason why Holzken has looked differently - other than the beard - since he won the Glory welterweight championship is that he hasn't figured out exactly how to pace himself in these five round fights?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Looking back on things Holzken was never really much of a round winner. He'd absorb alot of shots to figure out his opponent then start pouring it on for a KD or (T)KO

The fight against doumbe just seemed like an off-night, uncharacteristic performance from Holzken, not to take anything away from Cedric though, he definitely beat the odds

Looking back on things Holzken was never really much of a round winner. He'd absorb alot of shots to figure out his opponent then start pouring it on for a KD or (T)KO

The fight against doumbe just seemed like an off-night, uncharacteristic performance from Holzken, not to take anything away from Cedric though, he definitely beat the odds

Holzken had 5 consecutive off-nights since he won the title.

I think we should make the distinction that this fight looked worse than all his other recent off nights. At least in the others he would have two clear round. This fight he spent the first 4 rounds using essential just a jab.

the fight reminded me of this sparring, walking forward cutting of the ring and doing nothing with it.

So Dave Walsh and Rian Scalia are thai fanboys? Was the crowd in Italy composed exclusively of thai fanboys? Pretty much every unbiased observer I saw posting about the fight cried robbery.

you seem to be confusing "owed a lot to thai fanboyism" with "was entirely due to thai fanboyism"

A lot of people watched that fight and felt like Sittichai won. I was one of them. When that decision was read out I was fucking astonished.

Afterwards I contacted the ISKA for comment and whether there would be judges enquiry or whatever, which led to them giving me a breakdown of how the three (italian) ISKA judges had reached their decision, and it was based on Sittichai's many many kicks landing largely on the arms, and robin landing visibly effective punches.

And then i rewatched the fight numerous times and I was like yeah, ok, i can see how they reached that decision, i can see the logic behind it.

Now, as an aside, Robin also posted a picture after the fight where his torso was spotless. No marks, no bruises, nothing, except a scratch from a toenail. Caption was "what body kicks?" - compare that to the kid that Petpanomrung kicked the shit out of at Glory 35 recently - that guy looked like he had been worked over with a baseball bat. That's what effective body kicking looks like.

So at the end of the day, for me it comes down to whether you score Sittichai for kicking robin's arms. Because he kicked robin's arms a LOT - go and watch it on youtube. The arms take like 90% of the body kicks thrown. So that's the whole crux of the debate really.

I cant believe i've just typed all that out after swearing i would never get into it all about that fight again lol

Sittichais face looked untouched as well. Why you bring up RVR's body all the time in this argument.

Saying they did count the bodykicks for nothing is less of a justification, but more of a bad joke.

And trust me I could care less about Sittichai.

Last edited:
you seem to be confusing "owed a lot to thai fanboyism" with "was entirely due to thai fanboyism"

A lot of people watched that fight and felt like Sittichai won. I was one of them. When that decision was read out I was fucking astonished.

Afterwards I contacted the ISKA for comment and whether there would be judges enquiry or whatever, which led to them giving me a breakdown of how the three (italian) ISKA judges had reached their decision, and it was based on Sittichai's many many kicks landing largely on the arms, and robin landing visibly effective punches.

And then i rewatched the fight numerous times and I was like yeah, ok, i can see how they reached that decision, i can see the logic behind it.

Now, as an aside, Robin also posted a picture after the fight where his torso was spotless. No marks, no bruises, nothing, except a scratch from a toenail. Caption was "what body kicks?" - compare that to the kid that Petpanomrung kicked the shit out of at Glory 35 recently - that guy looked like he had been worked over with a baseball bat. That's what effective body kicking looks like.

So at the end of the day, for me it comes down to whether you score Sittichai for kicking robin's arms. Because he kicked robin's arms a LOT - go and watch it on youtube. The arms take like 90% of the body kicks thrown. So that's the whole crux of the debate really.

I cant believe i've just typed all that out after swearing i would never get into it all about that fight again lol
So you were "astonished" at the time by the decision but then you claim that the reaction, at the time of the decision, "owed alot to thai fanboyism". Haven't you just admitted that the response to the decision was perfectly reasonable, assuming that you are not yourself a thai fanboy.

So you were "astonished" at the time by the decision but then you claim that the reaction, at the time of the decision, "owed alot to thai fanboyism". Haven't you just admitted that the response to the decision was perfectly reasonable, assuming that you are not yourself a thai fanboy.

oh man. I am sorry, i have no interest in getting into a game of semantics or whatever with you, I'm good. Let's all move on.

edit - ok, fuck it, i will clarify. the "thai fanboyism" was the aftermath, not the immediate reaction. People just didnt want to hear it, despite what seemed to me to be at least a coherent explanation in line with the scoring criteria. It felt like Sittichai was getting extra points for being Thai and "the new Buakaw"

i know Robin and Sittichai personally, though obviously conversation is limited between me and Sittichai, but ive trained at their gym in BKK and hung out with them. I have no biases either way; he and Robin are both good lads

Last edited:
Sittichais face looked untouched as well. Why you bring up RVR's body all the time in this argument.

Saying they did count the bodykicks for nothing is less of a justification, but more of a bad joke.

And trust me I could care less about Sittichai.

because if he was getting body kicked to pieces like people were making out that he was, he would have welts and bruises to show for it, whereas punches that visibly snap your head back dont always leave marks. The two are not equivalent.

I dont know why it's a bad joke? If a guy is content to block on his arms, moves through it and continues fighting with no apparent bad effects then what effectiveness should be scored for them?

actually, don't answer that, it will just spiral on and on and on lol

IIRC all judges scored rounds differently? That just seemed illogical to me. If they had at least been consistent with the rounds it would have appeared as a slightly more legit decision

because if he was getting body kicked to pieces like people were making out that he was, he would have welts and bruises to show for it, whereas punches that visibly snap your head back dont always leave marks. The two are not equivalent.

I dont know why it's a bad joke? If a guy is content to block on his arms, moves through it and continues fighting with no apparent bad effects then what effectiveness should be scored for them?

actually, don't answer that, it will just spiral on and on and on lol
RVR is dark so that is why it does not show on his skin.

I love how rvr nut huggers claim he had no signs of damage anywhere on him but leave out the fact sittichai also did not have a scratch. They also like to act like all sittichai did was kick the arms when he in fact out boxed robin also in that fight just like he did in the second fight

I love how rvr nut huggers claim he had no signs of damage anywhere on him but leave out the fact sittichai also did not have a scratch. They also like to act like all sittichai did was kick the arms when he in fact out boxed robin also in that fight just like he did in the second fight

why would you have a scratch from being punched in the jaw, vs being kicked on the body?

and if your nuthugger comment is in reference to me, i've already explained that i know both of them personally and have no bias either way.

Back