GGG-Saunders Unlikely, GGG to wait for Canelo (Very bad look for GGG!)

cuban23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So according to boxingscene, GGG will not be facing Saunders in June and will instead look to strike a deal with Canelo for September.

Here's why this is a very bad look for Golovkin. Golovkin has spent the last 2 years saying they want "All the belts" and they've declined to move up and fight better opponents (in higher weight classes) until they got all the belts. Well now they're bypassing their opportunity to get all the belts by opting for a money fight against Canelo.

Was it always about "All the belts" and unifying the division, or was it an excuse to avoid better competition?

With this latest move, it appears to be the latter.

I wanted Golovkin to face Saunders, a fight he would easily win, collect his belt final belt and then face Canelo. That way he could at least justify the "all the belts" excuse. This is just a very bad look.

Hopefully this fight gets made now. There's a chance Canelo might lose to Chavez Jr, although very unlikely. There's a chance that they offer GGG less than their previous offer now that he has no other options lined up. Then there is a chance of Mayweather stealing the September spot from Canelo as a he always does, by fighting McGregor. This is a huge gamble from team GGG that better pay off.

Going after Canelo instead of Saunders is a good thing.

I thought GGG wasn't to fight all the time? Is he afraid of the risk of Saunders? Does his team think he is getting old and want to cash him out vs Canelo?

I agree it's not a good look.

I thought GGG wasn't to fight all the time? Is he afraid of the risk of Saunders? Does his team think he is getting old and want to cash him out vs Canelo?

I agree it's not a good look.

Exactly, it's a bad look. It's always been about the money and the easy opponents, and not about the belts and fighting 4 times a year. That's at least what this move looks like.

I don't rate BJS, I think Golovkin could beat him in his sleep. But why not get that out of the way and then fight Canelo like they said they would?

Are you seriously trying to suggest that he should fight Saunders over Canelo? lol you are aware Saunders sucks right? GGG would kill him. Saunders should thank god this fight isn't happening

and GGG vs Canelo is the fight to make...

so i dont see the issue tbh

Are you seriously trying to suggest that he should fight Saunders over Canelo? lol you are aware Saunders sucks right? GGG would kill him. Saunders should thank god this fight isn't happening

and GGG vs Canelo is the fight to make...

so i dont see the issue tbh

The plan was Saunders in June and Canelo in September. This makes it seem like they're scared of losing to Saunders and losing the Canelo fight.

lemme guess ggg is ducking saunders who might not even be B+

Right because I'm sure BJS has nothing to do with another big fight not happening...lol

reading the story, sounds like its Golden Boy that doesn't want Golovkin to fight Sauders.

The plan was Saunders in June and Canelo in September. This makes it seem like they're scared of losing to Saunders and losing the Canelo fight.
I have a very hard time believing that

GGG
His coaches
His team
his family
his extended family
his friends
the people of kazakhstan
anybody on the planet

are scared of GGG losing to Saunders.

Saunders is one of the worst champions in boxing right now. Did you see his last fight? He went to life and death with a guy named Artur Akavov who is a club fighter with a record of 16-2 and whose last fight before the saunders fight was with a guy who was 12-13-1.

GGG
His coaches
His team
his family
his extended family
his friends
the people of kazakhstan
anybody on the planet

Saunders is one of the worst champions in boxing right now. Did you see his last fight? He went to life and death with a guy named Artur Akavov who is a club fighter with a record of 16-2 and whose last fight before the saunders fight was with a guy who was 12-13-1.
The story says that Oscar is threatening to take the Canelo fight off the table if Golovkin fights Saunders.

The story says that Oscar is threatening to take the Canelo fight off the table if Golovkin fights Saunders.

If true it seems like a ploy to get GGG rusty. Or to make him look foolish by making him pass on a fight and then pulling out the rug from him.

If true it seems like a ploy to get GGG rusty. Or to make him look foolish by making him pass on a fight and then pulling out the rug from him.
I think it benefits Golovkin. I'm watching the Jacobs fight right now and its a pretty tough fight. Golovkin doesn't need another hard camp and fight before September.

GGG
His coaches
His team
his family
his extended family
his friends
the people of kazakhstan
anybody on the planet

I don't believe Golovkin is ducking Saunders, In fact I believe Golovkin would utterly destroy Saunders and possibly do it early, what I'm alluding to is the contradiction by Golovkin and his team.

They claim they want "all the belts", and to "fight 4 times a year" like old school fighters. But this move suggests otherwise.

I think it benefits Golovkin. I'm watching the Jacobs fight right now and its a pretty tough fight. Golovkin doesn't need another hard camp and fight before September.

Why would Oscar demand something that benefits GGG?

Why would Oscar demand something that benefits GGG?
Probably thinks he saw a rough version of Golovkin vs Jacobs and is afraid Golovkin could blow that megafight.

Still seems like a tough matchup for Canelo to me. I think Jacobs exposed some things with Golovkin but I'm not sure I see anything Canelo can exploit.

Jacobs/golovkin 2 is still the fight I want to see most.

Yeah the fact that Oscar is willing to let Canelo fight GGG probably means he thinks he's slipped.

TBH I think GGG's hand speed, which was never very good, is worse. I know he's fought two fast guys his last two fights but I think it's more than that. His punches looked almost painfully slow at times.

What surprised me in the Jacobs fight was how durable Jacobs was. But GGG isn't really a one punch KO guy because he's a pressure fighter who doesn't usually catch guys with shots they don't see. He breaks guys down. But he threw a lot fewer punches because he was cautious so he had less chance to break Jacobs down.

Yeah the fact that Oscar is willing to let Canelo fight GGG probably means he thinks he's slipped.

TBH I think GGG's hand speed, which was never very good, is worse. I know he's fought two fast guys his last two fights but I think it's more than that. His punches looked almost painfully slow at times.

What surprised me in the Jacobs fight was how durable Jacobs was. But GGG isn't really a one punch KO guy because he's a pressure fighter who doesn't usually catch guys with shots they don't see. He breaks guys down. But he threw a lot fewer punches because he was cautious so he had less chance to break Jacobs down.
I think what happened to Golovkin was that he just wasn't fighting anyone who could test him. I think that makes a fighter stale. Its not that he was fighting terrible fighters, just not anyone on his level.

I thought Jacobs made him look really one dimensional.

Back