"GGG hasn't fought someone like Kirkland , Canelo wins " Naazim

Pretty much the only time i can remember Canelo really being hurt (timestamped)

That's a good point we shall see , what happens also if ggg can't hurt Canelo who has the advantage then ?
Boxing wise Canelo is said to be better
For what's it worth , Mosley said Canelo punches hard , not as hard as GGG but Canelo's punches are sharper

Mathew mackilin described golovkins jab like a straight right from other mws, and he is a tough dude in all fairness! I agree that canelo is the better boxer and stylistically it's a good fight, but I think size, power and durability are the areas that will win the fight. I wouldn't be suprised to see canelo get the win though. This fight is intriguing

Do you think....maybe.....Mosley fighting with Canelo in 10oz gloves vs sparring with GGG in 16ozs and headgear has something to do with it ?
Not sure what your arguing here ?

Not sure what your arguing here ?

If you aren't sure, let me take swing at it. I think he's saying that even though GGG was not trying to hit hard 100%, plus having various extra padding on his hands and the head of Mosley means that Mosley must have been hit awful hard, if, by contrast, Mosley had no headgear, Canelo had smaller gloves and it was an actual bout and both were swinging with bad intentions.

If that helps?...

Exposed is a bit melodramatic, but we did learn things about Golovkin that weren't apparent before that fight (and that we could have only learned from Golovkin fighting a genuinely good MW). His ability to cut off the ring, something that I might have said was his best quality next his punching power before the fight, did not look nearly as good against a genuinely good boxer in Jacobs. At the same time, he showed he be a little tighter defensively than some might have originally thought against a big puncher with a varied punch selection and fast hands.

I'd also argue that Jacobs wasn't hurt badly a couple of times (arguably only clearly hurt once when he was knocked down, and even then, I'm not sure I'd say he was hurt badly).

In some ways his performance against Jacobs might actually give people reason to think he has a better chance against Canelo than he did before he fought Jacobs. Canelo is sharp defensively, but he definitely isn't the mover that Jacobs is, and Golovkin wasn't wide open to be hit all fight by Jacobs, either. We also saw Golovkin take a lot of flush shots from Jacobs without getting visibly hurt, and Jacobs is likely a bigger puncher than Canelo. What may be a tad concerning is that Golovkin's workrate didn't necessarily build as the fight went on. He didn't look the fresher man in the 12th, and I have always thought that stamina and workrate was one of the clear areas of advantage for Golovkin over Canelo; I'm not as sure of that anymore.

Good analysis.

Appreciate the thoughtful response and the interesting opinions as well.

The only thing I really disagree with is that Jacobs wasn't hurt badly. The knockdown was obviously clean but I actually thought he was hurt worse a couple of other times without going down. The worst was after he took an uppercut then a couple other clean shots. I thought he was going to sleep but the round ended. I don't remember exactly when it happened but I'll probably watch the fight again this weekend and try to find it.

while i dont knock Danny for fighting his fight and sticking and moving, people have wonder how GGG will handle when someone can put him on the backfoot. That was one of the reason people wanted to see him fight Chavez Jr YEARS ago.

Alvarez doesn't march people down, so GGG won't have to worry about that.

Alvarez doesn't march people down, so GGG won't have to worry about that.
yeah that's something i've been thinking about. everyone keeps saying how this will be difficult if they're both put out of their element, but the way i see it their styles play right into each other's strengths.

golovkin comes forward like a tank. canelo loves to counter.

they're like yin - yang.

If you aren't sure, let me take swing at it. I think he's saying that even though GGG was not trying to hit hard 100%, plus having various extra padding on his hands and the head of Mosley means that Mosley must have been hit awful hard, if, by contrast, Mosley had no headgear, Canelo had smaller gloves and it was an actual bout and both were swinging with bad intentions.

If that helps?...
I get to that part . But what I said was that Shane said GGG hits harder but says Canelo hits hard , not as hard as GGG but is more sharper with his punches .

Do you think he meant that GGG would also be sharper than Canelo if he wasn't sparring ? Shane was talking about Canelo being technically sharper than GGG but can still crack

yeah that's something i've been thinking about. everyone keeps saying how this will be difficult if they're both put out of their element, but the way i see it their styles play right into each other's strengths.

they're like yin - yang.
The better boxer will win on that night . And already talks of Trilogy lol

they're like yin - yang.
Yeah this is a great stylistic match up. Should be fight of the year candidate, if it last's that long. Personally I don't think Canelo, tough as he is, can handle the full blown power of the hardest hitting MW there is.

The better boxer will win on that night . And already talks of Trilogy lol

Not if GGG loses the first fight, because he has no rematch clause and is 35. Trilogy, only if GGG wins the first one.

You also said:

"I get to that part . But what I said was that Shane said GGG hits harder but says Canelo hits hard , not as hard as GGG but is more sharper with his punches .

Do you think he meant that GGG would also be sharper than Canelo if he wasn't sparring ? Shane was talking about Canelo being technically sharper than GGG but can still crack"

...so I thought I'd answer here.

I really don't know what he's saying, but Mosley sometimes can be convoluted. Anyway, the fact that a surging 154 lber couldn't put away an old Mosley says that either Mosley is very, very good, or that Alvarez's power isn't what it's cracked up to be. I expect that once GGG starts racking up punches, then Canelo will slow down quite noticeably. I mean, really, Alvarez is just going to have to be super-human with his reactions, but Amir Khan was dusting him up in some spots. GGG isn't as fast, but his timing is ridiculous, especially with that jab. He starts working that jab and getting traction then he breaks him down. Maybe even stops him. Alvarez only counters slopping jabs, thrown with a disregard to the fundamentals, with that right hand. Smart pressure vs youthful speed. That's the story.

Not if GGG loses the first fight, because he has no rematch clause and is 35. Trilogy, only if GGG wins the first one.

You also said:

"I get to that part . But what I said was that Shane said GGG hits harder but says Canelo hits hard , not as hard as GGG but is more sharper with his punches .

Do you think he meant that GGG would also be sharper than Canelo if he wasn't sparring ? Shane was talking about Canelo being technically sharper than GGG but can still crack"

I really don't know what he's saying, but Mosley sometimes can be convoluted. Anyway, the fact that a surging 154 lber couldn't put away an old Mosley says that either Mosley is very, very good, or that Alvarez's power isn't what it's cracked up to be. I expect that once GGG starts racking up punches, then Canelo will slow down quite noticeably. I mean, really, Alvarez is just going to have to be super-human with his reactions, but Amir Khan was dusting him up in some spots. GGG isn't as fast, but his timing is ridiculous, especially with that jab. He starts working that jab and getting traction then he breaks him down. Maybe even stops him. Alvarez only counters slopping jabs, thrown with a disregard to the fundamentals, with that right hand. Smart pressure vs youthful speed. That's the story.
Thank you for clearing that up , I really hate bumping this thread, promoting Canelo is a bit ahead of my schedule ( really wanted to talk Brook v Spence ) , but i want to add this to the discussion

The jab of both men will be telling
Abel feels that it won't be part of the gameplan , I suspect he is bluffing .

Chepo already is working on GGG "tells" to counter him hard .

I think people are sleeping on Canelo's rhythm , which will help him vs GGG

I keep hearing about GGG legendary pressure but I don't feel it's going be a factor with Canelo who is at a very high point in confidence

Ggg timing is going get disrupted and he will be punshed backing up

Of course GGG is the rightful favorite

mosely has said that floyd hits as hard as canelo and paq hit harder than both. iirc, he said that he didnt remember three or four rounds after manny knocked him down

shane wanted to quit in the paq fight but the severe blister in his foot might have had something to do with it.

Ha. You're right. Jacobs strategy worked as evidenced by that W he earned. Oh wait.

Seriously if you're basically a LHW and can't force GGG to fight of the back foot, something is wrong. Weve never seen GGG fight off the back foot - try to see if you can make him.

But you're right, Jacobs passive strategy worked.

Is that the way to go here?

Ha. You're right. Jacobs strategy worked as evidenced by that W he earned. Oh wait.

Seriously if you're basically a LHW and can't force GGG to fight of the back foot, something is wrong. Weve never seen GGG fight off the back foot - try to see if you can make him.

But you're right, Jacobs passive strategy worked.

What was your Jacobs/Golovkin prediction? I don't think I had a bet with you, because you were too chickenshit.

What was your Jacobs/Golovkin prediction? I don't think I had a bet with you, because you were too chickenshit.

Yeah real men gamble. You sound straight out of the 50s.

mosely has said that floyd hits as hard as canelo and paq hit harder than both. iirc, he said that he didnt remember three or four rounds after manny knocked him down

shane wanted to quit in the paq fight but the severe blister in his foot might have had something to do with it.

That's interesting I would had thought that canelo hit considerably harder than Floyd, not surprised about PAC though.

What I don't understand is how exactly does the Mayweather fight help Canelo against GGG? There's literally almost no transferable lesson when you consider styles.

I agree but to fight one of the greatest of our generation is invaluable experience.

What I don't understand is how exactly does the Mayweather fight help Canelo against GGG? There's literally almost no transferable lesson when you consider styles.
The mental aspect of fighting a very big fight against an extremely skilled boxer and the things you can take away from the experience. From in and outside the ring buildup to film study, adjustments and learning tricks and set-ups that he may have gotten caught with, that he himself can work on using in his own fights. Theres a shit ton you can learn from fighting a hall of famer.

Last edited:

You also said:

I really don't know what he's saying, but Mosley sometimes can be convoluted. Anyway, the fact that a surging 154 lber couldn't put away an old Mosley says that either Mosley is very, very good.
shouldve stopped right there, Mosley IS/WAS very very good. A hall of famer thats only been knocked down once, versus an up and comer still learning at the highest level. What was Canelo, 21-22 when they fought?

Back