Frias Zahabi breaking down why banning kicks to the knee is stupid

It makes the sport more boring. Rangy fighters can stop their opponents from engaging by threatening to hyper-extend the knee. Is it a good fighting move? Yeah. But it makes the spectacle worse.
The fighters that used it the most are Condit, Jones, Anderson, Conor. 4 of the most exciting fighters ever

Everything about MMA causes life changing/career injuries. People bitching about nothing.

There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.

Huge argument? It has been thrown 10000 times and there haven't been any fights stopped due to injury from it. There is literally tape of it being spammed over and over. Your argument doesn't hold up.

The fighters that used it the most are Condit, Jones, Anderson, Conor. 4 of the most exciting fighters ever

That's fine. It's not the reason those fighters are exciting. The technique provides a tactical advantage. I'm not surprised its utilized by some of the sport's best performers.

Some techniques are banned because of the injuries they can cause.
12-6 elbow, kicking a downed opponent, Groin strike, attacks to the eye or spine. Back of the head. It's a sport not a street brawl.
There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.

The trouble is that virtually all of the attacks you've outlined have potential for severe long term health consequences for the fighter on the receiving end.

The most severe long term health consequence of getting kicked in the knee is to have your career cut short... and like it or not, having your career cut short with a knee injury is one of the best things that could ever happen to a fighter in terms of long term health.

(Your last sentence making some weird distinction between attempting to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him is nonsensical... so I'll just leave that be.)

Fighting isn't Rock-Paper-Scissors. It's a fight, shit happens

I use rock and you try to use paper. Oops you were too slow, looks like rock works anyway.Enjoy the 1+ year lay off and multiple surgeries.

Don't we just love our fighters being in the hospital instead of fighting?

Most medical suspensions are due to head trauma. So we should probably ban strikes to the head.

If this keeps up, pretty soon the only attack fighters will be allowed to do is wrestlefuck their opponent.
The only moves in particular I agree on being banned are headbutts and stomping on the head.
The 12-6 elbow rule is ridiculous. Some guys must be practicing doing the same thing but at 11:45 to 5:45. I personally like the elbow rule as a way of stopping wrestlers hugging at the opponents waist up against the cage for half a round.

Agreed, and Firas' argument is moot as he conveniently overlooks the obvious fact that plenty of other strikes are indeed banned. His rock paper scissors analysis probably appeals to people who simply already agree with him, but it is an irrelevant comparison.

No one argues for these strikes to be banned because they can not overcome them in a fight - the debate is due to the unnecessary injuries they cause that are not truly the product of winning the striking battle.

I see them as more similar to eye gouges than a move in rock-paper-scissors.

Eye gouges are banned because losing a fucking eye is serious shit.

Whereas tearing the ligaments in your knee, is a common badminton injury.

Most medical suspensions are due to head trauma. So we should probably ban strikes to the head.
Most medical suspensions due to head trauma last 3 months or less.

Medical layoffs from knee injuries are at least the better part of a year AND lead to being more easily re injured.

There is no comparison.

Last edited:
No they shouldn't be banned.

If anything fighters need to learn how to counter the oblique kicks with timing, speed and angles.

Simply just throwing strikes in a straight line will not work.

Fuck injuries. Oblique kicks stop fighters from blitzing in or committing to shots. Keeps people out of the pocket where the blood is spilled.

Remove it because it makes for boring fights.

No they shouldn't be banned.

If anything fighters need to learn how to counter the oblique kicks with timing, speed and angles.

Simply just throwing strikes in a straight line will not work.

Well it is no doubt a dirty technique. Either ban them or legalize eye gouging, finger breaking, groin strikes and biting.

These are fighters guys, and we're out here trying to defend them from a kick to the knee. They are FIGHTERS, just rub some Bengay on it and sleep it off.

The trouble is that virtually all of the attacks you've outlined have potential for severe long term health consequences for the fighter on the receiving end.

The most severe long term health consequence of getting kicked in the knee is to have your career cut short... and like it or not, having your career cut short with a knee injury is one of the best things that could ever happen to a fighter in terms of long term health.

(Your last sentence making some weird distinction between attempting to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him is nonsensical... so I'll just leave that be.)

All I'll say is I have done my fair share of full-contact TMA and experienced the technique first hand (which was illegal for the comp I was in).
I have also blown out my knee in a non-MA setting that took 2 years to rehab. So I know what I am talking about.
Maybe you're a legit MMA guy, I don't know you, but there are plenty of just-bleed assholes on this board who don't give a shit about either the sport or the fighters (so fuck them).
It's a shitty technique which brings nothing to the sport (it's not exciting to watch) and it damages athletes, preventing them from fighting more often to entertain the fans and make money in their careers.
These guys are PRO's, it's all they've got. UFC pay is garbage unless you are a star (which is about 10-20 people.)

It should be banned.. I always believed it should be

Back