Frias Zahabi breaking down why banning kicks to the knee is stupid

Raksas

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

pretty much sums my take on it up.

"If we're playing rock paper scissors and I use rock all the time, I don't try to ban paper"

it's a hell of a technique that few even really thought about even 10 years ago.

i'm not surprised that it's controversial.

but Wonderboy will most likely lose his campaign to remove them.

Some techniques are banned because of the injuries they can cause.
12-6 elbow, kicking a downed opponent, Groin strike, attacks to the eye or spine. Back of the head. It's a sport not a street brawl.
There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.

it's a hell of a technique that few even really thought about even 10 years ago.

i'm not surprised that it's controversial.

but Wonderboy will most likely lose his campaign to remove them.

A lot of fighters use it, and Thompson's injury is only one of a handful that have occurred as a result.

The controversy surrounding it was mainly a means to bash Jones before he turned into a total trainwreck and provided real ammunition for his detractors.

If you attack a joint with a grappling or ju-jitsu technique your opponent gets the opportunity to tap and avoid an injury.
Not so with a kick.

12-6 elbow, kicking a downed opponent, Groin strike, attacks to the eye or spine. Back of the head. It's a sport not a street brawl.
There's a huge argument to banning the knee kick. It's a sneaky move to injure your opponent rather than "beat" him.
12-6 isn't anything dangerous at all. kicking a downed opponent would be great, but too "violent" for the casuals

I totally get why people hate this technique being used on them. Its essentially forceful joint manipulation that your opponent cant tap out from. Youre going to seriously injure your opponent. Might end his career.

Im not sure about banning it, but i know if guys throw that at me in sparring, im not happy about it.

Then you shouldn't fight in a stance that makes you susceptible to that kick.
There are ways around that kick

12-6 elbows were banned because some idiot from the New Jersey AC had seen brick breaking demonstrations on ESPN and believed that downward elbows would cause a human skull to rupture like a watermelon getting hit with a sledgehammer.

It's probably the silliest part of the unified rules.

I mean its not THAT stupid. There are other ways of damaging the leg. A side kick to leg or an oblique kick is straight up just trying to fuck up the other guy's ligaments. Career ending shit. I wouldn't mind if they banned it. But if they banned it they would also have to ban most leg locks. And fuck all that. I don't want that. Pretty divided on this

The kick get used all the time these days
There will be injuries just like with every technique
It's a fight

Just saying sports have rules. Techniques are banned, usually for good reasons (maybe not 12-6 but hey it-is-what-it-is).
Knee kicks bring nothing to the fight (IMO) and seriously endanger the fighters career. They should be banned

I mean its not THAT stupid. There are other ways of damaging the leg. A side kick to leg or an oblique kick is straight up just trying to fuck up the other guy's ligaments. Career ending shit. I wouldn't mind if they banned it. But if they banned it they would also have to ban most leg locks. And fuck all that. I don't want that. Pretty divided on this
Head punches have killed people before. Made many, many more people suffer from lifelong brain damage leading to domestic abuse, psychotic mental illness, memory problems, logical thinking abilities gone, drug addiction, alcoholism, etc. Much worse than ligament damage. We don't ban them.

Other combat sports do ban head punches for those exact reasons. But this is MMA -- we seek to find the most effective, realistic combat martial arts. If we can't allow a kick to the knee, we're going to far in the direction of safety over combat.

Head punches have killed people before. Made many, many more people suffer from lifelong brain damage leading to domestic abuse, psychotic mental illness, memory problems, logical thinking abilities gone, drug addiction, alcoholism, etc. Much worse than ligament damage. We don't ban them.

Other combat sports do ban head punches for those exact reasons. But this is MMA -- we seek to find the most effective, realistic combat martial arts. If we can't allow a kick to the knee, we're going to far in the direction of safety over combat.
200.gif

Yeh just fucking allow it and just learn how to defend it

Don't know where I remember if from, but seems to me at one point it was considered illegal to strike the joint directly. Striking above or below was fine but the knee itself was not. I am almost certain it was even mentioned during a PPV by Joe. No idea of its legitimacy rule wise then to now either.

That said, if its legal its legal, learn to defend or fall prey.

12-6 elbows were banned because some idiot from the New Jersey AC had seen brick breaking demonstrations on ESPN and believed that downward elbows would cause a human skull to rupture like a watermelon getting hit with a sledgehammer.

It's probably the silliest part of the unified rules.
Yeah we know Joe..

It makes the sport more boring. Rangy fighters can stop their opponents from engaging by threatening to hyper-extend the knee. Is it a good fighting move? Yeah. But it makes the spectacle worse.

Back