Forum preservation thread

The people that think thais can't punch are found in the same group of people that think Buakaw would beat McGregor in 20 seconds in a mma fight. The ignorance is not only one sided.

That aint what people say. They say who knows whether Thai so and so will even succeed in kickboxing because they have to make a big transition to kickboxing, give up their traditional stylings, etc. It isn't meant to be a trivial observation that in order to succeed at kickboxing, they had to do or train kickboxing first. People genuinely believe that Thais either struggle to make the transition to kickboxing successfully or that it is very hit or miss.

And now my words are being twisted.
Who is "they"? The people of this forum? I've been here long enough, and reactions have been case by case due to the particular Thai's fight style. It's been pretty well accepted here that certain Thais have fight styles that are more suitable for Kickboxings scoring criteria and rule set than others. Do you dispute this?

Wouldn't it be quite the same as the unified rules, in the sense that takedowns and wrestling in general are overvalued just as some claim kicks and knees are overvalued in Muay Thai?
But punches wouldnt be highly valued, including GnP. They would be forced to kick more, but also deal with takedowns. So maybe it would be like small glove sanda but with many knees.

Who is "they"? The people of this forum? I've been here long enough, and reactions have been case by case due to the particular Thai's fight style. It's been pretty well accepted here that certain Thais have fight styles that are more suitable for Kickboxings scoring criteria and rule set than others. Do you dispute this?
"They" can be found everywhere, including this forum.

@jtwarwagon4life

On a scale from one to Cocakillbana, how salty are you that kickboxing is getting more attention than muay thai?

I'm actually curious, since he seems more way more knowledgeable about kickboxing than you.

For someone that doesn't like kickboxing, you seem follow alot of kickboxing blogs and know a lot about the japanese kickboxers. I never hear about Tenshin and Takeru apart from tge Japan thread and when you and Coca talk about how overhyped they are.

Shouldn't the fact that I know way more about, not only muay thai but also, kickboxing than just about anyone on this forum give my grievances even more credibility. I clearly know of that which I speak. None of this is coming from a place of ignorance, I know all about the ins and outs kickboxing and yet I still see it as a complete joke. In most cases I know more about kickboxing than the moronic fanboys who blindly defend it.

But apparently I'm just a biased muay thai fanboy, elitist and that is the basis of all my opinions.

Last edited:
Who anointed you the authority on all things Kickfighting? Fuck off and get over yourself, nerd ------>

@jtwarwagon4life

On a scale from one to Cocakillbana, how salty are you that kickboxing is getting more attention than muay thai?

I assume you mean stadium muay thai? Very salty. Stadium muay thai fighters are infinitely better combat sports athletes, there is infinitely more depth of talent, the fights are far better matched, we get to see all the best fighters fight one another, we get to see all the best fighters fight each other far more frequently, the fights are far better officiated, etc. etc. Stadium muay thai is a far more satisfying sport to follow, as a sport, than kickboxing or just about any "stand up" combat sport. And on a personal note, muay thai is far more aesthetically pleasing to watch. I don't see the beauty in kickboxing much of the time. Every once and a while you get a transcendental talent like Petrosyan, and it's nice that there is a combat sport to exhibit someone of his talents, but those guys are very few and far between.

I couldn't care less about international muay being overlooked relative to kickboxing. Unfortunately, international muay thai is far closer to getting the sort of shine that kickboxing gets than stadium muay thai.

Last edited:
Who anointed you the authority on all things Kickfighting? Fuck off and get over yourself, nerd ------>

Steven Wright is widely viewed as one of the foremost kickfighting authorities. This isn't bragging on my part, it's a trivial observation.

The standards of rigour which kickfighting applys to itself are so woefully low that someone like me, who just put in a little bit of time to watch everything, couldn't help but become a kickfighting authority. I wouldn't be surprised if kickfighting had the p 4 p stupidest and least knowlegable fans and "experts" in all of combat sports. I never cease to be amazed at some of the shit I read.

Last edited:

Taking Rob out this, do you know anyone who knows more than JT? He's as deserving of "authority" as anyone.

Taking Rob out this, do you know anyone who knows more than JT? He's as deserving of "authority" as anyone.
For Muay Thai? Either him or you, sure.

However, I fail to see how knowing who Ginsanglek beat last January makes your opinion on how promotional workings are processed any more valid than the next guy...

I was thinking about the number of consequential fighters in lightweight kickboxing (154) since the inception of K-1 MAX compared to the number of consequential lightweight Muay Thai fighters (131-135) in that time, and I quickly dismissed the the thought. Now I'm wondering if there have been more consequential lightweight Muay Thai fighters since 2002 than there have been consequential fighters in all of kickboxing since the birth of K-1.

These are the fighters in kickboxing at 154 that I think have been consequential. Maybe I've missed some, but when I say consequential I don't mean decent fighters who were around and fought some good guys, but rather fighters who you could tell could truly get somewhere. Don't tell me Gago Drago, Yuya Yamamoto, or Paul Slowinski were consequential. If that's the case I'll include fighters like Sittisak and Yodtuanthong, and believe me, there's plenty of those. I suppose someone like Kiria is borderline just like Yodsanklai is borderline in Muay Thai. It evens out.

Albert Kraus
Masato
Buakaw
Andy Souwer
Giorgio Petrosyan
Robin van Roosmalen
Sitthichai Sitsongpeenong
Mike Zambidis
Yoshihiro Sato
Artur Kyshenko
Davit Kiria
Andy Ristie
Superbon Banchamek
Yodsanklai Fairtex
Marat Grigorian

Muay Thai is a lot harder to figure out, but these are the ones I've found while looking at 2003 records. Maybe I'm wrong on some?

Samkor Kiatmontep
Namsaknoi Yudthagarngamtorn
Nontachai Sit Or
Noppadet Seangsimaewgym
Nopparat Kiatkamtorn
Orono Wor Petpun
Kongipop Petyindee
Nong-B Kiatyongyut
Singdam Kiatmuu9
Chalee Sinbi
Yodsanklai Fairtex
Yodbuangarm Lukbanyai
Sagetpet Sor Sakoonpan

This will take some time to answer, but it's a start.

Last edited:
Steven Wright is widely viewed as one of the foremost kickfighting authorities. This isn't bragging on my part, it's a trivial observation.

The standards of rigour which kickfighting applys to itself are so woefully low that someone like me, who just put in a little bit of time to watch everything, couldn't help but become a kickfighting authority. I wouldn't be surprised if kickfighting had the p 4 p stupidest and least knowlegable fans and "experts" in all of combat sports. I never cease to be amazed at some of the shit I read.
I'm sorry, do you put out a weekly podcast or do anything beyond posting on the Sherdog subforum?

I dont think anyone has claimed Steven to be an authority, he's just known because he actually produces content. You dont.

Look on the bright side, you've made a fan out of Cocakillbana! That's all that matters right?

I'm sorry, do you put out a weekly podcast or do anything beyond posting on the Sherdog subforum?

What difference would that make? I could still know a billion times more than someone who did, and in fact I do. Also Warman's podcast definitely isn't weekly.

I dont think anyone has claimed Steven to be an authority, he's just known because he actually produces content. You dont.

Warman himself said that he probably watches more kickboxing than just about anyone, which might be true. So, presumably that would make him an authority by current standards and yet he still makes the most basic gaffes all the time when talking about kickboxing and muay thai.

Look on the bright side, you've made a fan out of Cocakillbana! That's all that matters right?

Yep. It's always nice to respected in turn by people that you respect. The opinions of most of the other kickfighting people out there .... not so much.

Last edited:

Why do you seemingly view Wright's podcast as something far greater than this forum? Why is Wright doing an hour podcast once a week more valuable than JT putting in more time here when more people probably read this forum than listen to his podcast.

This isn't content?

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/thailand-at-the-1996-atlanta-games.3492813/

Please expound on Wright's content if you would. It wasn't long ago he was a "Dekkers was fighter of the year" guy. Don't you loathe those people? You're often the first to mock them on here. He also said Armen Petrosyan was a top 10 fighter in kick fighting. You would laugh if that was said on here. "___________ played the Thai game and won the fight on points." That combined with butchering the name is about the content I remember from Steven Wright. That one thread from JT is greater "content" than anything from Warman's podcast. Rian Scalia was the person who would have some interesting things to say back when I would listen, not Wright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back