Former shredded, buff and fit guys. Why did you let yourself get fat? How did it happen?

Ten years ago I got together with my now wife. I was 150 pounds and about as shredded as I could be. Abs on abs.

I am not 185 pounds, and am fat. Please kill me.

How did this happen?

Work?
School?
Work & School?
Work, School, Family?
Laziness?
Long term relationship made you comfortable?

I hope that this never happens to me and even in cases of injury I still hope to do some sort of workout and eat decent.

I was never super buff but I was slim and lean muscular, now im skinny fat, it has to be a combo or mixture of those things. For me it was depression and stress, having to worry about paying bills and money, etc.

I know friends who I used to play spots with in high school who after 5 years out of high school let themselves go pretty bad, double chin, beer gut, no more aesthetic features.

reminds me of recently running into a guy at my hometown mall who was considered one of the best looking guys in school, I played sports with him,he was a pretty boy type with a square jaw, now he looks completely different, we are in our 30s now, he actually came up to me in the mall, he was with his kids and he said my name and I turned around and he said man you haven't aged you look the same and I had to like look at this guy for a few seconds without being rude and said hey whats up man, but then I realized who he was and was shocked I just told him dude its good to see you, he was bloated, his face was so fat I didnt even recognize him.

Age. I turned 50 and went from shirtless guy whenever possible to leave the shirt on guy in 6 months.

when I used to be shredded I was an athlete and I needed to be in top shape.

I no longer need that physique and am no longer a top athlete.

as I got older I also got into the pleasures of life like good food and craft beer this combined for my love of the theater and netflix made me more sedentary less active.

the invention of the smart phone,tablet and ultra fast internet also didn't help.

my job also went from labor in my 20's that kept buff to sitting on my ass now.

I also no longer care about having a fit body for vanity reasons/aesthetics like I did when I was younger and had different priorities.

my metabolism is also probably slower than I was 20 I could eat 4 hamburgers back then in one meal and not get fat.

Last edited:
Age, injury, family obligations, work, etc...shit happens.

Old broken ankle injury and bad back make long distance running almost impossible.
I agree with injuries they will sap your motivation to work out.

im 39 and it hasnt happened
i stay on my grind because im not a soft bitch

im disgusted by what im reading in this thread btw. and for those that are blaming wives, kids, jobs, drugs, depression, blah blah blah. the most valuable thing you have is your health, if you care about being around as long as possible for your kids and loved ones, or want to be as susccesful as possible, or want to feel better, or whatever get ur shit straight homeboy, ur fucking up if u let urself go .

dde01a7a92aa19b4972b4fb097b332686e4ba1f0771b47994b0f28c71f175383.jpg

Guys, let get shredded to death.

Man I want to look ripped. I am reasonably solid and athlethic lookin without a gut. But have never had defined abs.

After my vacation ends (in 2 days), it's on.

Slow cut while building up the abdominal sheet of muscle so it'll show more easily.

I've noticed the biggest problem for most people is they don't have a home gym. A home gym is so simple pull up bar in door way, bench press machine and weights\bar. Then at that point even with kids you can at least get in a quick workout if not a full one while you watch your child. I take 2 minute breaks in between sets and only lift for about 30 seconds. So basically for 30 seconds my child has to be put in her highchair or whatever until I can get back to her.

Most people I know who've stopped and blamed family life really don't want to lift period. Those same people will tell you they don't have time while simultaneously asking you if you watched the latest GOT or Walking Dead episode.

I'll be 33 in August this is my goal and more. I don't ever want to stop. I've been going strong for like 12 years now. I think anyways I don't remember when I started anymore cause I never though I'd be doing it this long. I'm scared to death of old age and being one of those hunch back weak old men.

Man I want to look ripped. I am reasonably solid and athlethic lookin without a gut. But have never had defined abs.

After my vacation ends (in 2 days), it's on.

Slow cut while building up the abdominal sheet of muscle so it'll show more easily.
Hell yeah bro!! Get in the Mayberry cutting thread!

I blame food for tasting good.

Never been ripped though, I was decently athletic while still being skinny fat. Those days are long behind me though.

I wouldn't say shredded, but I went from around 275lbs-280 down to 188'ish when I moved to Florida. Just being young and having a drive to get rid of the weight. Moved back to the Northeast, long winters and an office job did not help. I gained a good 20-30 back and started getting back into a normal fitness/diet routine last fall, but it's not easy

im disgusted by what im reading in this thread btw. and for those that are blaming wives, kids, jobs, drugs, depression, blah blah blah. the most valuable thing you have is your health, if you care about being around as long as possible for your kids and loved ones, or want to be as susccesful as possible, or want to feel better, or whatever get ur shit straight homeboy, ur fucking up if u let urself go .

All true but by the same token life changes and as you age so does motivation.

I've put on 15kg of fat and lost probably 3kg of muscle on top of that. People laugh when I say I'm fat yet it's all relative to what you were.

This gain/loss happened at 42 until than I was shredded (branched groin and rib veins, visible 6/8pack etc). Broke my arm, lost a 200k per year paying job, started drinking, mother diagnosed with cancer, I nursed her until her death, dealing with estate psychopaths and more drinking.

True I was weak to start drinking again and at 39 I definitely would have trained around the arm but sometimes we're all weak and make bad choices.

The point is don't be too critical of others reasonings as all lives aren't following the same trend at the same time. For me alcohol is the killer so and in the process of removing it again. For others it's a a family, job or bad choices.

Motorcycle accident that wasnt my fault resulting in a fucked up body and life long injuries preventing lifting.

Before that I was getting modeling offers, setting gym records, and entertaining the idea of a career in MMA. Every girl did a double take at me, every guy asked my routine or cycle(even though I never juiced.) YAY idiot drivers!

JK, I knew what the risks were every time I rode, and now I have to live with the results.

I'm not fat at all, more anorexic skinny. Its absolutely pathetic, my downfall. Ive lost maybe 30lbs of pure muscle.

I pretty much lost motivation to spend hours at the gym around mid to late 20's.
Only excuse or reason i can come up with is laziness and not GAF anymore. Interestingly enough, that's around the time i started making decent money and stopped living check to check.

I didn't get fat since i'm naturally slim. Still the same weight, maybe even a little less, over 15 years since i stopped lifting. I suppose it helped that i could never put on lots of mass, due to body type, not using supplements and/or "supplements", and being very active outside of the gym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back