Former shredded, buff and fit guys. Why did you let yourself get fat? How did it happen?

S

SouthoftheAndes

How did this happen?

Work?
School?
Work & School?
Work, School, Family?
Laziness?
Long term relationship made you comfortable?

I hope that this never happens to me and even in cases of injury I still hope to do some sort of workout and eat decent.

Mix between relationship and loss of motivation. Energy output decreased while appetite remained the same. That's some bad chit right there :oops:

i'm not fat, but i'm no longer shredded; it all changed when real life kicked in. being shredded is easy when your only taking care of yourself and lift, work, school, etc after i got married and had kids, i had to divide my time and resources. basically, i had less time for myself and couldnt eat and train like i used to

my biggest motivator for being shredded was being able to make weight for wrestling and MMA, i stayed pretty shredded from age 13-23 or so. just wanting to look good isnt a big enough motivator for me because i realized girls dont care as much as we think they do

now i live on the weight rollercoaster. sometimes i get up to 220-230 but usually top out at like 210 before i realize im getting fat, then i cut down to 185 where i have abs and those pelvis lines. then a few weeks later i start snacking and binging, then i creep back up to fattyville

it doesnt help that wrestling made me so good at cutting that i know i can easily lose 3 lbs a week so i keep letting myself get fat out of arrogance that i can lose it whenever i want

years of wrestling+genetics have always let me carry a lot of muscle tho. i dont think i could ever be scrawny, unless i purposely starved myself and tried to atrophy

Last edited by a moderator:
Drugs, use to do viking training with kettle bells, do pull-ups, head stands, shit like that. I'm just a fat ass now. Fat fucking fat ass fuck face motherfucker. What?

I think at some point a dude needs to get over his superficial obsession with being jacked and realize winning as a middle-aged man demands only a basic level of fitness.

I prefer to stay jacked myself but I'm basically a late-20s adolescent so whatever.

i'm not fat, but i'm no longer shredded; it all changed when real life kicked in. being shredded is easy when your only taking care of yourself and lift, work, school, etc after i got married and had kids, i had to divide my time and resources. basically, i had less time for myself and couldnt eat and train like i used to

All of the above and 2 shoulder surgeries from being such a weightlIfting beast.

Age, injury, family obligations, work, etc...shit happens.

Old broken ankle injury and bad back make long distance running almost impossible.

Same with me. I actually weigh about the same or even a little less, but my muscle to fat ratio is FAR different.

I used to go to the gym whenever I wanted. I used to be able to spend a LOT of money on food and supplements. I basically just did whatever I wanted as far as excercise and workout out...that was a big hobby of mine. Now I have a family. I have a commute to work. I have to spend my money on other things other than buying myself 250g of lean protein a day..heh.

Plus I did lose some motivation and enjoyment for it. After a while it just wasted fun anymore. And the nagging injures pile up after the years.

I was always in descent shape until I met my wife (she really knows how to cook)...I was always a heavy drinker but never gained weight because I never ate large meals everyday because I was single, but that shit changed when she came along...
I always joke with her that " You're the best thing that happened to me mentally and emotionally, but the worst thing that happened to me physically."

So the combination of having a good woman who can cook and heavy drinking all played their part...but I just recently quit drinking and am eating less so I can get back on it.

Last edited:
All of the above and 2 shoulder surgeries from being such a weightlIfting beast.

i hear you bro. i had surgery on my shoulder last November and finally starting to make gains again. my body takes so much longer to fully recover from lifting too

Same with me. I actually weigh about the same or even a little less, but my muscle to fat ratio is FAR different.

I used to go to the gym whenever I wanted. I used to be able to spend a LOT of money on food and supplements. I basically just did whatever I wanted as far as excercise and workout out...that was a big hobby of mine. Now I have a family. I have a commute to work. I have to spend my money on other things other than buying myself 250g of lean protein a day..heh.

Plus I did lose some motivation and enjoyment for it. After a while it just wasted fun anymore. And the nagging injures pile up after the years.

injuries are one of the biggest factors of why i have to tone down my lifting. my goals back then are obviously different than my lifting goals today. i used to be able to lift some heavy ass weight, go on some long runs, and swim and still have energy to party hard. recovery was never an issue. nowadays, i'm too tired after lifting and need a cup of coffee to stop me from dozing off after dinner. hell, i have a had time staying up late if i dont have to and have the wrost hang over after pounding a 6 pack

knee and shoulder injuries, plus tendons and connective tissue deteriorate over time.
now it's lighter weights, more reps.

I go through phases where I get into really good shape, then slowly let myself go over the course of 10 years, then get in shape again.

Shoulder surgeries and overall lack of motivation.

Medically separated from the military for back injury, then shit surgeon followed by around 12 years of rehab/corrective surgeries. With bouts of alcoholism and depression in between. I balloned to about 280, 6 years later I'm down to 170ish

Back