For normal humans who don't shoot over dime bags or boise nickels; or have autist meltdowns-

Back in their heyday I saw two grown adult rednecks at a flea market get into a fistfight over a Charizard card. You might have missed the wave!

A charizard card is worth a fistfight any year, any age

They still go for over $500 on ebay, original edition at least. I'm sure they've remade other Charizard versions

I have a gun because i live in the mountains and we get lots of bears and cougars out here which could kill my dogs.

I have no problem with you walking around with a hunting rifle

This is awful advice.

It's not "advice", it's just a fact. Of all the "passion" investments, vehicles have been the highest performers.
Although that said, I'm not sure anyone actually keeps an index for curio and relic firearms.

-Guns have been a very steady investment option over the last 20 years. If not over used, they keep their value well; like, as much as anything. The stock market has been better the last 8 years for profits, and everybody made some money and thinks they are geniuses for it.. But it will, sadly, come to an end, and a slip will occur.

For all the crap people talk about gold and silver, they rise and fall more than you might think; without the bottom ever falling out, which is important. I like silver quite a bit. Easy to test and pretty. But GUNS, well guns are also easy to test, and are pretty and cool as well. They haven't had any major dips.

A pistol grip shotgun I bought for like $120 12-14 years ago is worth about $250 for quick-sale now. The rifles, which I already sold for what I paid like a dummy a few years after I bought them, are worth double what I paid. Maybe more. If I would have hung on to my Romanian AK with the strap, I think it would be worth 2500. I bought it for 700 17 years ago.

I'm not an nra member, but I do like having things that retain their value, and grow in value. Things I can give to my kids etc... My movado watches and coins etc...

Does anybody else think that guns have been good investments over the last 20 years? Anybody made anything selling them?
What about Boise Dimes. Their lives matter too, bro.

Motorcycles and cars have had considerably better investment performance recently (given enough knowledge to pick the right models for appreciation).
I still kick myself for not chasing up a couple of Yamaha RZ500s that an acquaintance wanted $500 for (for both of them).
The problem with that is I can store 50+ guns in the space of one car.

The problem with that is I can store 50+ guns in the space of one car.

Sure, not everyone has the garage space and really "passion investment" is a precisely that, a passionate interest. I've got half a dozen motorcycles, but I don't consider them "investments" even though a couple of them are appreciating. What firearm would have had the highest ROI at market prices over the last 20 years though?
As I understand it, the only way to make decent money on collectible firearms is to come across something where the seller doesn't recognise what they have.

Sure, not everyone has the garage space and really "passion investment" is a precisely that, a passionate interest. I've got half a dozen motorcycles, but I don't consider them "investments" even though a couple of them are appreciating. What firearm would have had the highest ROI at market prices over the last 20 years though?
As I understand it, the only way to make decent money on collectible firearms is to come across something where the seller doesn't recognise what they have.
I don't think I've ever checked how much my guns are worth other than seeing them advertised for sale. Like my k98 I got for $45 is now worth thousands. Same for my bikes. I was riding my Eddie Lawson Kawi(KZ1000R, I also have the ZRX1200R) and was offered a goodly sum for it. Well beyond the $500 I bought it for 20+ years ago.

I might have to sell the bike though as its just a bike to me and I could get several new pasta rockets for what was offered.

I don't think I've ever checked how much my guns are worth other than seeing them advertised for sale. Like my k98 I got for $45 is now worth thousands. Same for my bikes. I was riding my Eddie Lawson Kawi and was offered a goodly sum for it. Well beyond the $500 I bought it for 20+ years ago.

I might have to sell the bike though as its just a bike to me and I could get several new pasta rockets for what was offered.

Yeah, '80s bikes have started rapid increases. Eddie Lawson reps, Katanas, Zs, RZ500s, VF1000Rs, CBX1000s. Forget about '70s bikes like the H2 750s or real rarities like the OW01. Mind you even small capacity '90s bikes are starting to appreciate. We had a 250cc learner restriction when I got my licence, so the RGV250 was the gun learner bike for guys of my era. Serious nostalgia value now. Of course 90% of them were written off in the first 12 months of ownership and they required a lot of frequent maintenance to keep them going. Despite originally being cheap and common as muck that means that they are hard to find now, values going up. Similar deal with the first generation Fireblade and FZR1000.
On a that note I guess in the US machine guns have appreciated every year since '86 right? Of course I gather they can't be owned everywhere and since that whole market was both created by and remains subject to regulatory measures, it seems precarious.

I think silver is a good bullion to buy right now. It's down to like $16 an oz because of the good economy, and it has been as high as like 80. Most bullion has a government denomination, and particular design, and that impacts value. I wish my dog would dig up a dozen or so of those $50 buffalo gold coins.

Last edited:
Full auto machine guns have exploded in price. A m16 lower receiver is like 40 grand now, at the beginning of the century they were around 15

Serious note though:

I have an LMT MRP ($$$ AR15) with an ACOG on it that was about 4k, and I doubt I could get that money back out of it... Same with a Noveske pistol I built. All my Glocks are probably worth less than new despite hundreds of dollars worth of custom work done to them.

Well, to be fair, those are not the best sort of guns to invest in.

Polymer weapons that are constantly being innovated, are in high supply, and that are "upgraded" for tactical, practical, or other use do not fit the mold of a sound investment.

Investing in a common AR-15 is like investing in a Honda Accord, or a Glock a uh, Chevrolet Spark or Ford Fiesta.

Well, to be fair, those are not the best sort of guns to invest in.

Polymer weapons that are constantly being innovated, are in high supply, and that are "upgraded" for tactical, practical, or other use do not fit the mold of a sound investment.

Investing in a common AR-15 is like investing in a Honda Accord, or a Glock a uh, Chevrolet Spark or Ford Fiesta.
I don't buy guns as investments, and I would never look at a Glock as such.

An LMT MRP is not a 'common' AR-15, they're as good as it gets. LMT/POF/LWRC/Noveske/LaRue - These are not run-of-the-mill, they're top-of-the-line.

Full auto machine guns have exploded in price. A m16 lower receiver is like 40 grand now, at the beginning of the century they were around 15

Yeah, supposedly 10% p/a increase. That's if you live somewhere they are legal to own and are willing to risk the buy in price and possibility of regulatory change (in either direction).

Yeah, supposedly 10% p/a increase. That's if you live somewhere they are legal to own and are willing to risk the buy in price and possibility of regulatory change (in either direction).
Yeah no doubt firearms are not good investments. at best they are good at retaining value

Investment grade firearms dont really make much sense to me, you can't even really shoot them

Motorcycles and cars have had considerably better investment performance recently (given enough knowledge to pick the right models for appreciation).
I still kick myself for not chasing up a couple of Yamaha RZ500s that an acquaintance wanted $500 for (for both of them).

2-stroke screamers. Pretty rare. I saw a RZ350 months ago on CL. I was tempted but they wanted $2500 and it wasn't in great shape.

Back