For normal humans who don't shoot over dime bags or boise nickels; or have autist meltdowns-

Just like with any other tangible good, people have got to want it for it to appreciate.

For instance, I bought the original M&P40 three years ago for $450. I put maybe 400 rounds through it. Maybe.

My local shop was running a deal on the new M&P2.0 line, and S&W was running a rebate at the time too -- 2 boxes of Hornady, a mag loader, and two extra magazines when you purchase the 2.0 in either 9mm or .40.

Best I could get for the original M&P was $200 as a trade-in towards the new 2.0.

It seems specialty guns, and rifles with a good look (media has a name for them) are appreciating the most. I guess I'm going by my limited ownershp experience. 12ga shotguns with a good look have also appreciated. You could get a Mossberg pistol grip 12ga for $100 15 years ago.

I would imagine that buying up things that could banned but in demand in the near future like AR bump stocks would be the way to go. Seems like legislation is so spurious though that meh

EDIT also if you’re going to try to come up with a ROI for guns then you need to factor in the probability of theft in your area. It can be significant in some areas.

Does anybody else think that guns have been good investments over the last 20 years? Anybody made anything selling them?

While firearms do hold their value quite well, I wouldn't call them a good investment. Some are, but not generally speaking. I've got stuff that's gone up in value and stuff that's gone down. Helps when a model is discontinued or banned from import.

I still have a shoebox absolutely full of them I wonder when I'll try and cash in on. Figure the longer I wait the better it'll get. Maybe when I'm 80 I'll sell them off for a new pair of dentures

Back in their heyday I saw two grown adult rednecks at a flea market get into a fistfight over a Charizard card. You might have missed the wave!

Motorcycles and cars have had considerably better investment performance recently (given enough knowledge to pick the right models for appreciation).
I still kick myself for not chasing up a couple of Yamaha RZ500s that an acquaintance wanted $500 for (for both of them).

This is awful advice.

Collectables suffer just as much variation in price if not more so.

If the economy crashes I wouldn't expect demand for obscure objects to hold up.

Pretty sure its guns that have been killing a bunch of kids in school every other week. Cant say the same for coins

Records are a good investment if you know what you're buying... I have many that I picked up at a records store for retail (<$20) that are now worth over $100... Also Magic cards...

Anything is a good investment if you know what you're buying... I have many that I picked up at a records store for retail (<$20) that are now worth over $100... Also Magic cards...

ftfy.

People actually sell used (and new) sneakers...

I heard a bunch of kids talk about how much money they lost or made from these deals not too long ago... they must have been in 9th or 10th grade of high school I think... but the money they were talking about made me I made the wrong choice studying engineering...
I watched a Ted Talk with a guy that bought/sold sneakers. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.
The video is a couple years old but he claimed that resale shoes are a billion dollar industry. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was true.

I would imagine that buying up things that could banned but in demand in the near future like AR bump stocks would be the way to go. Seems like legislation is so spurious though that meh

EDIT also if you’re going to try to come up with a ROI for guns then you need to factor in the probability of theft in your area. It can be significant in some areas.

And complusory buy back at less than market value.

Sure they will increase in value if illegal but coke dealing offers better ROI.

I watched a Ted Talk with a guy that bought/sold sneakers. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.
The video is a couple years old but he claimed that resale shoes are a billion dollar industry. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was true.

Listened to a radio show about a bunch of hackers with $500,000from an investor who created programs to buy yeezys for resale.

It's an industry, fucking crazy what people will pay in boom times.

I think a mutual fund is still the best route to go if you have a lot of time to wait. The argument that the market eventual crashes is silly. It also eventually recovers and the long term trend of the market is up with a decent return. You just have to have enough brains to not panic and pull your money at the absolute worst time.

Romanian AK as in the WASR-10?

Using guns as investments can pay off if you know what youre doing. Firearms that were mass produced for decades will only retain value if practically new. My 31 year old Beretta 92F that has seen thousands of rounds shot through it will only fetch $350 private party. I paid $400 for it 12 years ago. On the flip side: guns that had limited production or are really old will generally raise in value over time, especially if still new in box. Colt Python's and Anaconda's come to mind for

I wish I wouldve bought a Beretta 92 Steel-I about 10 years ago. They were in the $1300 dollar range for a NIB safe queen. Now that same pistol would sell for $2400-$2600.

Double in ten years isn't anything to write home about.

Good rule of thumb is double every 7

I'm kinda regretting selling my WASR 10, the way things are going.

What im trying to say is the only reason for guns is to kill so unless you believe there is a over population problem, a gun is a poor investment

unless you get joy out of killing
I have a gun because i live in the mountains and we get lots of bears and cougars out here which could kill my dogs.

Back