For normal humans who don't shoot over dime bags or boise nickels; or have autist meltdowns-

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
-Guns have been a very steady investment option over the last 20 years. If not over used, they keep their value well; like, as much as anything. The stock market has been better the last 8 years for profits, and everybody made some money and thinks they are geniuses for it.. But it will, sadly, come to an end, and a slip will occur.

For all the crap people talk about gold and silver, they rise and fall more than you might think; without the bottom ever falling out, which is important. I like silver quite a bit. Easy to test and pretty. But GUNS, well guns are also easy to test, and are pretty and cool as well. They haven't had any major dips.

A pistol grip shotgun I bought for like $120 12-14 years ago is worth about $250 for quick-sale now. The rifles, which I already sold for what I paid like a dummy a few years after I bought them, are worth double what I paid. Maybe more. If I would have hung on to my Romanian AK with the strap, I think it would be worth 2500. I bought it for 700 17 years ago.

I'm not an nra member, but I do like having things that retain their value, and grow in value. Things I can give to my kids etc... My movado watches and coins etc...

Does anybody else think that guns have been good investments over the last 20 years? Anybody made anything selling them?

Last edited:
I can’t speak for guns in particular, but niche interests investments can pay off big time.

But,

You have to know the market you’re dealing in like the back of your hand, or it’s easy to lose.

They have been a great investment for America if you believe there is an over population

Motorcycles and cars have had considerably better investment performance recently (given enough knowledge to pick the right models for appreciation).
I still kick myself for not chasing up a couple of Yamaha RZ500s that an acquaintance wanted $500 for (for both of them).

No I'm investing in knives and machetes , the martindale para machete I bought ten years ago for £17.99 is worth 30 quid now so give it another 20 years and the big bucks will really start rolling in......

No I'm investing in knives and machetes , the martindale para machete I bought ten years ago for £17.99 is worth 30 quid now so give it another 20 years and the big bucks will really start rolling in......

When the cost starts at 100 and goes up to 10,000, that 45% price increase isn't a joke like you're making it.

Motorcycles and cars have had considerably better investment performance recently (given enough knowledge to pick the right models for appreciation).
I still kick myself for not chasing up a couple of Yamaha RZ500s that an acquaintance wanted $500 for (for both of them).

Yes and no.. just 2 years ago used cars were going for nothing, because everybody was buying new. Any type of speciality car, and i.think even More so motorcycle, can dramatically increase with modest renovation.

I hear Pokemon cards are a good investment these days.

It depends, you need to know what you're doing. I have a S&W 9 mm pistol that I paid about $400 for back in the early 90's, Turns out it was a "transitional" model that was made of parts from other discontinued models as they were transitioning to the polymer grips and other changes. Turns out the gun is now worth over $1,000 due to fact it's such an anomaly and less than 2000 models were made. My father had a sig sauer 380 that i he paid almost $700 for around the same time and I ended up selling it after he died, the market value was about $250. He also had some Ruger 22 rifles and a few shotguns that ended up not being worth very much, there are some Ruger 22s that are worth quite a bit of money, but you need to know which ones. He also had an enfield 303 jungle model that I was surprised how low in value that thing was. I think we were able to sell it for about $400.

I work with a guy that has a Browning 12 gauge light auto shotgun, the price range on those is all over the place mostly depending on the decorative finishes.

So in short you need to know what you're doing. Do a lot of research and don't plan on shooting them much or at all if you are considering guns as an investment.

It depends, you need to know what you're doing. I have a S&W 9 mm pistol that I paid about $400 for back in the early 90's, Turns out it was a "transitional" model that was made of parts from other discontinued models as they were transitioning to the polymer grips and other changes. Turns out the gun is now worth over $1,000 due to fact it's such an anomaly and less than 2000 models were made. My father had a sig sauer 380 that i he paid almost $700 for around the same time and I ended up selling it after he died, the market value was about $250. He also had some Ruger 22 rifles and a few shotguns that ended up not being worth very much, there are some Ruger 22s that are worth quite a bit of money, but you need to know which ones. He also had an enfield 303 jungle model that I was surprised how low in value that thing was. I think we were able to sell it for about $400.

I work with a guy that has a Browning 12 gauge light auto shotgun, the price range on those is all over the place mostly depending on the decorative finishes.

So in short you need to know what you're doing. Do a lot of research and don't plan on shooting them much or at all if you are considering guns as an investment.
Yeah .22 rugers aren' the way to go. Almost any, if not all, high end rifles or "tactical" type guns, with higher than .22 caliber, have increased in price. ARs and AKs are just going up all the time.

Last edited:
-Guns have been a very steady investment option over the last 20 years. If not over used, they keep their value well; like, as much as anything. The stock market has been better the last 8 years for profits, and everybody made some money and thinks they are geniuses for it.. But it will, sadly, come to an end, and a slip will occur.

For all the crap people talk about gold and silver, they rise and fall more than you might think, without the bottom ever falling out, which is better. I like silver quite a bit. Easy to test and pretty. But GUNS, well guns are also easy to test, and are pretty and cool as well. They haven't had any major dips.

A pistol grip shotgun I bought for like $120 12-14 years ago is worth about $250 for quick-sale now. The rifles, which I already sold for what I paid like a dummy a few years after I bought them, are worth double what I paid. Maybe more. If I would have hung on to my Romanian AK with the strap, I think it would be worth 2500. I bought it for 700 17 years ago.

I'm not an nra member, but I do like having things that retain their value, and grow in value. Things I can give to my kids etc... My movado watches and coins etc...

Does anybody else think that guns have been good investments over the last 20 years? Anybody made anything selling them?

LEGOs have been a better investment over the just several decades. Have you thought about buying LEGOs?

LEGOs have been a better investment over the just several decades. Have you thought about buying LEGOs?

If you're not kidding, I would say you would have to keep them sealed to retain real value. That would be a real bummer for the kids. Plus, they would take up a lot of space for the value. 20,000 worth of rifles can fit in a corner of a closet in a case, or even out.

Yeah .22 rugers aren' the way to go. Almost any, if not all, high end rifles or "tactical" type guns, with higher than .22 caliber, have increased in price. ARs and AKs are just going up.
The problem with ARs and AKs is that it depends on the manufacturer. Some of the ARs are just cheap copies of the Colt/Armalite originals and offer no real advantage or distinctions, doesn't mean they aren't good for shooting just not a good long term investment if you are looking to make money in the future. The AKs are hampered by the fact that the Chinese built so many knockoffs and saturated the market, not to mention their quality isn't stellar.

Quite honestly there are some 22s that are good collectables. The big things are distinction (something unusual, unique or odd), decorative finish (the more engraving, artwork the better) or notoriety either by a specific firearm or a system (the AK for example is iconic because of the impact it's had throughout history or in the cases of a specific gun owned by someone or used in something noted in history) I think the ARs are a short term bump because of the notoriety, when Loche from the NRA talked about media "secretly loving mass shootings because it drives the news cycle" she was right, but she omitted the part where the NRA and AR manufacturers secretly love it to, it drives up fear of restriction and drives up sales as well as interest in the system. I know of at least four people that bought ARs after shootings where ARs were used. Personally I think the hyping the weapons have done more the perpetuate their sales and use than anything specific about the weapons themselves. I personally don't think a weapon designed to be accurate at 460 to 500 meters is the ideal weapon in CQC or close range, confined shooting in an area of where they are shooting less than 50 meters, but that's about all I care to say about that.

Lmao - Movado watches. Lol.
It's not a Rolex lol.. But I got a really good deal on a couple and could sell them for 3x what I paid. You're right to lol, tbh, they maintain decent value, but aren't going to appreciate.

My bad. You're right.

Real estate is the best choice. Imagine being able to rent your gun to someone and still be able to make 5-10% increase in value per year.

It's not a Rolex lol.. But I got a really good deal on a couple and could sell them for 3x what I paid. You're right to lol, tbh, they maintain decent value, but aren't going to appreciate.

My bad. You're right.
<BirdieOwn><BirdieOwn><BirdieOwn>

<GinJuice>

<13>

Serious note though:

I have an LMT MRP ($$$ AR15) with an ACOG on it that was about 4k, and I doubt I could get that money back out of it... Same with a Noveske pistol I built. All my Glocks are probably worth less than new despite hundreds of dollars worth of custom work done to them.

Real estate is the best choice. Imagine being able to rent your gun to someone and still be able to make 5-10% increase in value per year.

Usage does not deteriorate value in property like most other things, generally. Definitely true. Have to maintain structures if that's a big part of the value. Property taxes in the states also suck. My exs family in Montenegro owns property there, and pays little to no tax.. You know.. Because they actually OWN the property?

Back