For normal humans who don't shoot over dime bags or boise nickels; or have autist meltdowns-

I've been investing in the tulip market its bound for a come back

Real estate is the best choice. Imagine being able to rent your gun to someone and still be able to make 5-10% increase in value per year.
The only problem with real estate is every once in awhile you get someone that's a real nightmare, they wreck the place, don't pay on time, etc. The real estate and leasing laws have a big impact on it. I had a place I rented and the woman didn't pay her rent, had to issue a 30 day eviction which was enough time for her and her son to totally trash the place not to mention take some copper piping and conduit. All I was able to get was the deposit, she disappeared. Then to make matters worse she had shacked up with some guy that was an ex-con that kept sneaking back into the place. Called the police, they asked "how do you know someone is breaking in" showed them the busted lock on the door "why don't you replace the lock?" I did twice, he keeps busting in "How do you know it's the same person?" well he left a bunch of his clothes here "why don't you leave the clothes outside so he doesn't break in to get his stuff?" This went on for awhile, until finally I just called the cops at night that someone was there (just a hunch he'd be there) turned out he was, smashed out a window to jump out the back and ran away.

So when it's going well it's great, when it goes bad, it goes REALLY bad. Other than that you're right the tax write offs were really good especially on repairs and improvements.

Serious note though:

I have an LMT MRP ($$$ AR15) with an ACOG on it that was about 4k, and I doubt I could get that money back out of it... Same with a Noveske pistol I built. All my Glocks are probably worth less than new despite hundreds of dollars worth of custom work done to them.

That's kind of an extreme example. Good brand ARs have mostly gone up, and same with the older AKs. Like, doubled. You paid top dollar to begin with for your high end AR, and I could see the market not making it easy for That price to double. It's still just shooting 2.23.

Anybody have any cool coins or bullion?

The only problem with real estate is every once in awhile you get someone that's a real nightmare, they wreck the place, don't pay on time, etc. The real estate and leasing laws have a big impact on it. I had a place I rented and the woman didn't pay her rent, had to issue a 30 day eviction which was enough time for her and her son to totally trash the place not to mention take some copper piping and conduit. All I was able to get was the deposit, she disappeared. Then to make matters worse she had shacked up with some guy that was an ex-con that kept sneaking back into the place. Called the police, they asked "how do you know someone is breaking in" showed them the busted lock on the door "why don't you replace the lock?" I did twice, he keeps busting in "How do you know it's the same person?" well he left a bunch of his clothes here "why don't you leave the clothes outside so he doesn't break in to get his stuff?" This went on for awhile, until finally I just called the cops at night that someone was there (just a hunch he'd be there) turned out he was, smashed out a window to jump out the back and ran away.

So when it's going well it's great, when it goes bad, it goes REALLY bad. Other than that you're right the tax write offs were really good especially on repairs and improvements.

That's why if it available to you, a PMC is the best way to go if you have a small number of rental properties. The get a guaranteed income without having to worry about damages and collecting rent. You may not get the most out of the unit as you'd like but at the same time you don't have to worry about the above.

People actually sell used (and new) sneakers...

I heard a bunch of kids talk about how much money they lost or made from these deals not too long ago... they must have been in 9th or 10th grade of high school I think... but the money they were talking about made me I made the wrong choice studying engineering...

That's why if it available to you, a PMC is the best way to go if you have a small number of rental properties. The get a guaranteed income without having to worry about damages and collecting rent. You may not get the most out of the unit as you'd like but at the same time you don't have to worry about the above.
yeah, I agree if it's an apartment building or if you have a cluster of properties. Unfortunately my situation was just one house, so it wasn't practical.

I've been investing in the tulip market its bound for a come back
images

What about a beanie baby holding an AK? I'd buy that for a dollar.

Yes and no.. just 2 years ago used cars were going for nothing, because everybody was buying new. Any type of speciality car, and i.think even More so motorcycle, can dramatically increase with modest renovation.

I'm not even talking about especially rare bikes or cars, just the classics. Over the last 5 years there's been a disproportionate increase in values.
I think classic car returns dipped a bit recently, but overall they are still the highest performing "passion" asset.
It's a similar story with motorcycles, though with much lower entry costs and less extreme cases of appreciation. You only have to look at the "retro" trend in new motorcycles and hipster obsession with cafe racers to see why (outside of Harley/Cruisers of course, which have been "retro fashion" forever).
They are appealing to a younger generation and not just the nostalgia of riders/drivers reliving their glory days in the 60s/70s and 80s.

Some good reading ITT.
I can't add to the discussion intelligently, but it's surprisingly interesting.

They have been a great investment for America if you believe there is an over population
Why are you trying to change the subject? There is clearly an overpopulation problem,, especially in coastal cities. It is not a matter of "belief".

I made $400 profit last year selling my Springfield operator 1911.. Bought it new and only shot it maybe 100times so it was in good shape and the buyer was happy that he didn't have to wait for a new one.

Last edited:
There is clearly an overpopulation problem,, especially in coastal cities. It is not a matter of "belief"

Why are you changing the subject?

I'm not changing the subject

If you believe there is an over population, guns are a great investment for Americans. Kill each other and lower the population

I'm not changing the subject

If you believe there is an over population, guns are a great investment for Americans.
There is overpopulation worldwide, not just in America, so I really don't see your point. In fact many countries have worse overpopulation than the US

Do you really believe murder is a good way to solve the overpopulation problem? I think education and family planning is a better way to go.

Just like with any other tangible good, people have got to want it for it to appreciate.

For instance, I bought the original M&P40 three years ago for $450. I put maybe 400 rounds through it. Maybe.

My local shop was running a deal on the new M&P2.0 line, and S&W was running a rebate at the time too -- 2 boxes of Hornady, a mag loader, and two extra magazines when you purchase the 2.0 in either 9mm or .40.

Best I could get for the original M&P was $200 as a trade-in towards the new 2.0.

A pistol grip shotgun I bought for like $120 12-14 years ago is worth about $250 for quick-sale now. The rifles, which I already sold for what I paid like a dummy a few years after I bought them, are worth double what I paid. Maybe more. If I would have hung on to my Romanian AK with the strap, I think it would be worth 2500. I bought it for 700 17 years ago.

Does anybody else think that guns have been good investments over the last 20 years? Anybody made anything selling them?

Romanian AK as in the WASR-10?

Using guns as investments can pay off if you know what youre doing. Firearms that were mass produced for decades will only retain value if practically new. My 31 year old Beretta 92F that has seen thousands of rounds shot through it will only fetch $350 private party. I paid $400 for it 12 years ago. On the flip side: guns that had limited production or are really old will generally raise in value over time, especially if still new in box. Colt Python's and Anaconda's come to mind for

I wish I wouldve bought a Beretta 92 Steel-I about 10 years ago. They were in the $1300 dollar range for a NIB safe queen. Now that same pistol would sell for $2400-$2600.

I hear Pokemon cards are a good investment these days.

I still have a shoebox absolutely full of them I wonder when I'll try and cash in on. Figure the longer I wait the better it'll get. Maybe when I'm 80 I'll sell them off for a new pair of dentures

There is overpopulation worldwide, not just in America, so I really don't see your point. In fact many countries have worse overpopulation than the US

Do you really believe murder is a good way to solve the overpopulation problem? I think education and family planning is a better way to go.

What im trying to say is the only reason for guns is to kill so unless you believe there is a over population problem, a gun is a poor investment

unless you get joy out of killing

Back