Folayang destroyed Aoki!

can we all agree now that aoki is vastly overrated and has been for a fair few years now? still he's a good fighter but he's not elite by any means.

Nope.

But we can all agree you are brain damaged.

Aoki stopped caring about fighting around the time his kid was born. He was fighting 5 times a year before that, and then he started fighting once a year in what were essentially exhibition fights. I wish we got to see him in some more competitive fights, but still, his career up to 2011. was amazing. One of the best resumes in lw history.

Nope.

But we can all agree you are brain damaged.

I may well be damaged brain, but what makes you think aoki is elite? he was just finished by a guy not ranked in the top 100 maybe even top 150...

can we all agree now that aoki is vastly overrated and has been for a fair few years now? still he's a good fighter but he's not elite by any means.
Aoki has been overrated by quiet a few of his fans his whole career Gilbert and Eddie highlighted this big time in lop sided beatdowns, im talking about the fans who have him in the top 3 at LW all time.

Rubbergaurd two post above mine is a perfect example of his delusional fans.

That's pretty standard for Aoki, if he fights a guy who can survive his grappling and has superior striking, he can end up in trouble. It's just that finding a guy who can survive Aoki's grappling is tough. Good job by Folayang for being able to execute that gameplan.

This. I'm still not very sure why Aoki joined up with Evolve in the first place. It sort of killed his entire rubber guard style that got him loads of results in Dream and now he's this pseudo wrestler top control fighter. I supposed Gil laying the smackdown on him probably influenced him, but his solution of training more muay thai seems ill advised in hindsight.

I think Aoki changed his style to more top control shortly after his loss to Hansen. He really started to nail the single leg --> smash pass --> mount style around the time of the Aurelio fight. It's a really good style for boxing in the hips and used by other BJJ guys like Maia. Maybe sticking with such a specific style has given a blueprint for fighters to study on how to defeat him, though. Like, there is a lot of tape to study and Folayang had clearly noticed a trend in when Aoki times his shots. Aoki still managed to get him down a few times, though.

I'm sure Aoki knows what works for him better than I do, but I miss when he used to attack legs staright off the single and maybe pull guard or attack with a flying sub every now and then.

Aoki has been overrated by quiet a few of his fans his whole career Gilbert and Eddie highlighted this big time in lop sided beatdowns, im talking about the fans who have him in the top 3 at LW all time.

my thoughts too, sure he has some solid wins but a huge chunk of his record is against cans

Anyone got a video? I wanna see Aoki get his ass whopped

Many top fighters were finished at some point:

Robbie Lawler
Conor McGregor
Lyoto Machida
Luke Rockhold
Chris Weidman
Johny Hendricks
Rafael dos Anjos
Benson Henderson
Anderson Silva
Big Nog
Fedor
Crocop
Wanderlei
Chuck

...I supposed Gil laying the smackdown on him probably influenced him, but his solution of training more muay thai seems ill advised in hindsight.
Giblert laid down nuthing! He outpointed Shinya who kept doing buttshoots. Quit making it sound like Giblert was anywhere close to TKTFO'ing Shinya.

The Alvarez rematch was a quick TKO via capitalizing on Shinya's mistake. Far from a "lop sided beatdown". Giblert didn't do shit to Shinya who kept buttscooting.

GSP vs Fitch was a lopsided beatdown. Crocop vs Wanderlei 2 also.

Many top fighters were finished at some point:

Robbie Lawler
Conor McGregor
Lyoto Machida
Luke Rockhold
Chris Weidman
Johny Hendricks
Rafael dos Anjos
Benson Henderson
Anderson Silva
Big Nog
Fedor
Crocop
Wanderlei
Chuck

many overated fighters have been finished also. what's your point?

I've always considered Aoki overrated and I've stated that here for years. He's one dimensional and his top ten wins aren't that great.

URCC is terrible

They really are, Alvin Aguilar is top 5 MMA DBags imo after Honda, her coach and Brandon Vera. They just had promoted a celebrity mma match not too long ago and they're promoting a 3 on 3 mma fight for their next event.

Anyone got a video? I wanna see Aoki get his ass whopped

Aoki looked huge compared to Folayang and I honestly though Folayang would get into trouble with all his kicks and knees, great timing on his part.

Hello friend, long time no see.

Do you really think losing to Gilbert, who was split decision away from ufc championship, and Eddie, current ufc champ, proves a fighter overrated?

When me and other Aoki fans were saying he was top 3 lw all time, we meant by resume. His accomplishments are great. Losing can't change that. We don't use that logic on any other fighter. Werdum losing didn't make him overrated. Rockhold losing didn't make him overrated. But with Aoki, losing to other legends of the division proved he can't beat any top fighters. That way of thinking is irrational, and is based on emotion rather than logic.

RDA getting knocked out by Alvarez doesn't mean he can't hang with anybody with good wrestling and striking, but it means just that for Aoki. It's silly. It's unscientific.

aoki wasnt hanging with the elite in the div, not in UFC or Bellator.

He'd get wrecked by the top 10 in UFC, Chandler would smoke him.
Him and Alvarez r 1-1 btw :)

No. I think everyone who's followed his career knows Aoki is very fragile and an upset is always on the cards against a guy with power.

Nobody has ever said he was unstoppable or even durable
Brutal!

rqvp74.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back