Folayang destroyed Aoki!

I've always considered Aoki overrated and I've stated that here for years. He's one dimensional and his top ten wins aren't that great.
Takedowns and submissions are one dimension? Okay, pal.

i feel bad.. Always been a huge fan of Aoki and wasnt expecting this at all.

Hello friend, long time no see.

Do you really think losing to Gilbert, who was split decision away from ufc championship, and Eddie, current ufc champ, proves a fighter overrated?

When me and other Aoki fans were saying he was top 3 lw all time, we meant by resume. His accomplishments are great. Losing can't change that. We don't use that logic on any other fighter. Werdum losing didn't make him overrated. Rockhold losing didn't make him overrated. But with Aoki, losing to other legends of the division proved he can't beat any top fighters. That way of thinking is irrational, and is based on emotion rather than logic.

RDA getting knocked out by Alvarez doesn't mean he can't hang with anybody with good wrestling and striking, but it means just that for Aoki. It's silly. It's unscientific.
losing to Gilbert and Eddie isnt bad BUT having zero offense in 25 mins against Gilbert because your 100% out classed while in your prime does prove that you are not even close to top 3 all time, same logic applys to the Eddie fight he didnt even look like he belonged in the same cage with them.

Pretty sure before that Eddie fight you were trying to tell us he was GOAT at LW and I told you Eddie was gonna smash him.

His record is solid against the 1st wave of LW fighters kinda like Big Tim has a good record against the OG wave of UFC HW fighters. The game passed Aoki by pretty fast and as soon as Gilbert sgowed how to beat him he never got better.

losing to Gilbert and Eddie isnt bad BUT having zero offense in 25 mins against Gilbert because your 100% out classed while in your prime does prove that you are not even close to top 3 all time, same logic applys to the Eddie fight he didnt even look like he belonged in the same cage with them.

Pretty sure before that Eddie fight you were trying to tell us he was GOAT at LW and I told you Eddie was gonna smash him.

His record is solid against the 1st wave of LW fighters kinda like Big Tim has a good record against the OG wave of UFC HW fighters. The game passed Aoki by pretty fast and as soon as Gilbert sgowed how to beat him he never got better.

Again, top 3 in terms of accomplishments. It doesn't mean he's not able to lose to anyone but top 2 fighters. Nobody is that silly to claim that.

You really think Gilbert showed how to beat him? You don't think that was the exact same gameplan everyone else was trying to use? The only difference was Gilbert developed incredible defensive wrestling (compare his 2 Ishida fights to see how big the improvement was) and Aoki couldn't corner him in the cage like he usually does in ring.

Aoki should forget about backtaking/RNC and return to unorthodox style and rainbow pants.

URCC is their grassroots org. Excellent platform for building new stars but it isnt really considered one of the big leagues in Asia. ONE on the other hand is huge af and covers a lot of countries in the Southeast Asian region.

Big congrats to Folayang, he's a beast for beating a legend like Aoki.
Lol at legend

can we all agree now that aoki is vastly overrated and has been for a fair few years now? still he's a good fighter but he's not elite by any means.

No. Aoki is and will always be one of the most accomplished LWs of all-time to those of us who live in a world of reality where beating quality opposition is THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS, not "Muh, never fought in the UFC, muh only has submissions, muh he cries a lot, muh wears rainbow tights like a :eek::eek::eek:". Hell, forget just talking LW, he is one of the greatest sub 170 pound fighters ever if not the greatest. He more often than not got the job done against high quality opposition and put together a resume that stands up there with the overwhelming majority of fighters today in ANY division. It is certainly better than anything the bloated Hawaiian put together what with his "grandiose" accomplishments as beating TUF flunkies or Gomi who beat pretty much unranked fighters from BTT. They are only seen as better because the UFC and PRIDE are much more beloved promotions than Dream and the because for some odd reason people consider Penn and Gomi as more likeable and exciting. Those of us who are objective and refuse to let emotions cloud our judgment KNOW Aoki is superior.

Last edited:
No. Aoki is and will always be one of the most accomplished LWs of all-time to those of us who live in a world of reality where beating quality opposition is THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS, not "Muh, never fought in the UFC, muh only has submissions, muh he cries a lot, muh wears rainbow tights like a :eek::eek::eek:". Hell, forget just talking LW, he is one of the greatest sub 170 pound fighters ever if not the greatest. He more often than not got the job done against high quality opposition and put together a resume that stands up there with the overwhelming majority of fighters today in ANY division. It is certainly better than anything the bloated Hawaiian put together what with his "grandiose" accomplishments as beating TUF flunkies or Gomi who beat pretty much unranked fighters from BTT. They are only seen as better because the UFC and PRIDE are much more beloved promotions than Dream and the because for some odd reason people consider Penn and Gomi as more likeable and exciting. Those of us who are objective and refuse to let emotions cloud our judgment KNOW Aoki is superior.

Heh, I liked the rainbow tights part. People are basically like that.

next up he will run for office back home.
Lol. The way ONE promotes him, you'd think he already is. They literally threw a parade for him.

His life really is a feel good story, though.

I know this thread is months old but I never understood calling someone in a B league a "world" champion.. if you do not hold the universally recognized most prestigious title, you are the not the world champion, just a regional one. And believe me, I am not some UFC fan boy. But yeah

I know this thread is months old but I never understood calling someone in a B league a "world" champion.. if you do not hold the universally recognized most prestigious title, you are the not the world champion, just a regional one. And believe me, I am not some UFC fan boy. But yeah

Means more than max Holloway's belt

Nice finish and couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Means more than max Holloway's belt

I guess it does. Neither Aldo or Holloway's belts mean much, so that post isn't really saying anything. I'd say that beating Pettis in 2016, even though he has looked like shit lately, means a lot more than beating Aoki in 2016 though. Aoki's slide has been gradual for a half decade at least. Pettis was at one time the undisputed lightweight king. Aoki was, back in 2008 (jesus, nearly a decade ago, damn time flies) in the rankings for #1-3 depending on how people saw it, but I would never call him an undisputed #1 LW

I dunno, when I think about it, Max's win over Pettis >>>>> Aoki losing. The belts are both meaningless to me.

I love ONE though. I just don't think any of their fighters can be considered the champion of the WORLD. I think Angela Lee certainly can be down the line though.

I really hope One continues to develop and gets bigger and signs more names.. the more MMA the better

yes he is though. I said for the last few years, he should be in his prime but he just fights nobodies, he knows he can't compete at the top.

yes he is though. I said for the last few years, he should be in his prime but he just fights nobodies, he knows he can't compete at the top.

Aoki should be in his prime 15 years deep with a 50 fight career?

Dude has been around forever, he probably hit his peak about 10 years ago. Between 05-10 he fought some of the best fighters in the world: Mach x2, JZ, Alvarez, Hansen x3, Melendez, Kawajiri, Uno, Hirota, Shaolin, Kikuchi x2. Most of those guys were top 10 ranked.

Aoki should be in his prime 15 years deep with a 50 fight career?

Dude has been around forever, he probably hit his peak about 10 years ago. Between 05-10 he fought some of the best fighters in the world: Mach x2, JZ, Alvarez, Hansen x3, Melendez, Kawajiri, Uno, Hirota, Shaolin, Kikuchi x2. Most of those guys were top 10 ranked.

yeah man, most fighters hit there prime around 30-33 which is his age, he shouldn't of hit his prime 10 years ago, as that kinda indicates he's stagnated badly since then. regardless, to say he is top 10 or even top 15 today is baseless.

Back