First confirmed case: 23 ft reticulated python kills and consumes 25 year old adult male human whole

The thing with reptiles though is do they form real bonds with their owners? A snake, for example, seems to learn to view a given human as neither a threat nor food, so it doesn't get defensive or aggressive around them. But is it feeling any of the things that the other guy listed?

You're the Zookeeper, you tell me.
It seems the more we learn about reptile behaviors the more social they can be. In general if a snake is well fed and used to people it has no reason to be aggressive. Also they enjoy spending time near people because people are warm, other reptiles can seem to form bonds.

This is definitely not the first case of a python eating someone.

On the general subject, my buddy owns one - an albino reticulating python. It's pretty cool. Occasionally he brings it by and it will hang out on the sofa. Eventually, they become unmanagebly large and I've discussed with him the idea of donating it to either a sanctuary or the Academy of Sciences, if they were interested.
You have no idea how often those places get calls to take on large snakes that people got and decided they don't want any more. It's fucking sad, don't get the animal if you can't handle it when it's full grown. Hopefully your buddy does the right thing and cares for it himself.

@faustian you are damn right I will constantly question your hatred for snakes. Unless you live in the developing world with shitty access to shitty healthcare your odds of dying by snake bite are tiny. Between the US and Australia (which has essentially the most venomous snakes on the planet) about 8-15 people die a year.

You have no idea how often those places get calls to take on large snakes that people got and decided they don't want any more. It's fucking sad, don't get the animal if you can't handle it when it's full grown. Hopefully your buddy does the right thing and cares for it himself.

@faustian you are damn right I will constantly question your hatred for snakes. Unless you live in the developing world with shitty access to shitty healthcare your odds of dying by snake bite are tiny. Between the US and Australia (which has essentially the most venomous snakes on the planet) about 8-15 people die a year.

Oh, he isn't a lout. He'll always man up and care for the thing. The idea of giving it some place was mine, as I was asking him what he intends to do with it once it's fifteen feet long and a foot wide.

I haven't seen it for a while now, but apparently he's now about twelve feet long now. He has his own room, although he lives in a large window-accessed box my buddy built which affords him a habitat and more warmth, I believe.

Oh, and the reason I thought an establishment may be interested in him is because he's an albino - although perhaps they aren't as rare as I assume.

I read title as 23 ft long pyton eats 25 ft long man and was like wtf?

He couldn't bust out of it like Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy? Could thigh muscles do like a squat press to pop a hole in the snake, or are they too stretchy? He probably wished he has a EDC Leatherman or something.

They can swallow basically anything, especially a 23 foot motherfucka, but if it's too big it'll likely end up killing them. A snake that large swallowing a full grown Indonesian man (they're usually pretty small) isn't really all that surprising to me. That snake was huge and that guy was likely pretty small like most people over in that part of the world. The only thing that surprises me is that we don't hear more cases like this. Most people are good enough at staying away from such creatures but having so many billions of people in the world, I'd expect more of them would be devoured by a big ass snake.

I would guess a lot of snake owners feel like it's a bit more than that. The boa I had as a kid would come and find me. I would open her cage and go watch tv or whatever, and she would always come snuggle up, crawl on me for a bit and go to sleep on me, and she only did that with me despite there being 4 people in the house who were all friendly with her. Of the 5 snakes we had, two had favorite people and the other three didn't seem to care. She also bit the fuck out of me on several occasions, but love is like that.

Pfft, females, amirite?

This is hilarious:

Pythons rarely kill and eat humans, although there are occasional reports of them swallowing young children or animals.

Occasional reports of them swallowing animals?
You don't need a report (occasionally obtained or otherwise) to deduce that pythons swallow animals.... I mean they're clearly not fucking vegetarians.

Lol. Yes they are, there are plenty of reptiles that are capable of recognizing individuals.

I do not consider myself an animal expert so I could be wrong but I just don't believe a reptile is mentally capable of showing affection or a legitimate emotional bond with its owner due to their primitive brains. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

if this happened to you, would you prefer they kill the snake and cut it open to retrieve your body, or just let the snake live and have it turn you into poop?

I'd probably opt for the second option.

I do not consider myself an animal expert so I could be wrong but I just don't believe a reptile is mentally capable of showing affection or a legitimate emotional bond with its owner due to their primitive brains. Feel free to prove me wrong though.
I had an iguana as a kid that would only let me pick up / hold him if that counts

I'm not gonna lie I didn't read the story but why in the fuck would you want to own something that's gonna get that big in the first place. You're never gonna know 100% if it's gonna want to make you into a tasty morsel..Fucking stupid LOL

You should read the story because he didn't own it.

CVlFO8xVAAAfmLq.png

Lol it's wild how theres a fuckin Simpsons reference for literally EVERYTHING

Back