Fighting since 2002. Still top and 1 victory away from a TS in 2018. Is Werdum GOAT in longevity?

Love Werdum but he didn't become a beast until he went to Strikeforce and subbed Fedor. Since then the only people to beat him are Overeem and Stipe

I don't think he was a bad fighter either though prior. He was right below the top guys at the time (Big Nog, Fedor, CC, Sergei etc)

Honestly, I don't even think he became as good as he was until he came back to the UFC. I think he was still learning and becoming a better striker. I think he had become one by the time he came back to the UFC. It was about 18 months after he beat Fedor that he came back. I think the year between him and Fedor he worked on his striking and that last 6 months prior to him facing off vs Roy, he became much better.

There's no such thing as the GOAT in longevity.

To be a GOAT in MMA, you must have some long period of dominance that Werdum has never had. That means, dominant victory after dominant victory after dominant victory that pile up over the years.

Fedor has that. GSP has that. Silva has that. Aldo has that.

Werdum does not. He's had a great career, but not a GOAT career.
That´s just your definition for it, which I respect. But for me longevity in the sport means you´re good enough to be still considered a contender, and that hasn´t become a punching bag like Hendo or Hunto for example. Winning or losing the title is part of the game..... having incredible years of undefeated streak doesn´t necessarily influence the concept of longevity in the sport, imo.

He's up there TS.. Vitor too
Randy and Severn were the epitome of longevity in MMA as well...

His ego got in the way. I'd pay to see a rematch.
It did. He kept talking about "putting on a show, amazing show, incredible show" for the crowded stadium and how great it would be. "So much cock.... cock guy"

Hendo debuted in 1997, won multiple titles through out his career and fought for a title in his final fight 19 years into his career

Werdum is in his 16th year and doing well but other fighters have done well up to their 16th year. Anderson was entering his 16th year when he was beat by Weidman but his run up to that point was impressive.

Hendo debuted in 1997, won multiple titles through out his career and fought for a title in his final fight 19 years into his career
I respect Dan's career and he's a legend, but he got gifted that TS it shouldn´t be considered as a great achievement. He was ranked #14 and had lost a 1st round ko to Vitor and only had a win over Lombard (who wasn´t even ranked himself). It´s a little different than what Werdum is doing.

One of the best HW of all time, this man has been doing this since 2002 and been among the best HW in the world in the most dangerous division in the sport.

4_medium.gif

tumblr_mnzyjeQMmP1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

e85a0ad2b0fffc1c79fc37e7763fb8c7b1edccd1_hq.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Here we are, 2018 and Werdum is 1 victory away from getting a TS in the UFC.

Can we talk about GOAT longevity for Werdum?

Thoughts?
4-t6258507-340.jpg
What's a TS please? For clarification purposes of course.

Werdum is in his 16th year and doing well but other fighters have done well up to their 16th year. Anderson was entering his 16th year when he was beat by Weidman but his run up to that point was impressive.
It´s true, there are many fighters that had long and spectacular careers. But Werdum fights at HW which makes it so much more difficult. Look at Velasquez 35, for example. How many fights has he had? Not that many. But how many years has he been out already fighting injuries? Big Nog is Werdum's age and we know the guy was already looking like a corpse in the cage at the age of 35 when he decided to retire years ago.

I think starting out so one dimensional lead to him not becoming burned out after all this time. Mark hunt too.

That´s just your definition for it, which I respect. But for me longevity in the sport means you´re good enough to be still considered a contender, and that hasn´t become a punching bag like Hendo or Hunto for example. Winning or losing the title is part of the game..... having incredible years of undefeated streak doesn´t necessarily influence the concept of longevity in the sport, imo.

but it does mean that the guy is more dominant than the guy who's managed to not get his brains scrambled and just stick around

This is taking nothing away from Fabricio, I think he is a top 5 HW of all time in MMA. I think he's one of the best doing it right now. But that's like saying Frankie is the best of all time because he has been at the highest levels of MMA for 10 years straight. Hard to say he's the best ever when he kept losing to Aldo. Or Bendo etc. He's still ONE of the best, but, definitely not "GOAT"

There can only be one GOAT. there can't be 10 greatest of all time. Only 1

#TheLastEmperor

Yes, what other guy that old is doing as well as him? There are none, closest is DC. Werdum is still here outclassing guys a decade younger than him. I mean look at tybura. Werdum handily beat him and what was most impressive that even at 40 years old, he was the fresher fighter who was pushing the pace. Overall I feel like werdum is hugely underappreciated. I would even consider him a fringe top 10 GOAT

Last edited:
but it does mean that the guy is more dominant than the guy who's managed to not get his brains scrambled and just stick around

This is taking nothing away from Fabricio, I think he is a top 5 HW of all time in MMA. I think he's one of the best doing it right now. But that's like saying Frankie is the best of all time because he has been at the highest levels of MMA for 10 years straight. Hard to say he's the best ever when he kept losing to Aldo. Or Bendo etc. He's still ONE of the best, but, definitely not "GOAT"

There can only be one GOAT. there can't be 10 greatest of all time. Only 1

#TheLastEmperor
I´m okay with that.
tumblr_m67otfpGW71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

JCVD bless

Despite just losing, I still think that Edgar being top 5 in deeper divisions for about a decade is more impressive. Hell, Edgar is Still top 5 after that loss.

GSP been fighting since 2002 and just won the title ...

C'mon dude wtf. GSP took a nap of years, came for the easiest mw ever and ran again from the contenders. Dont come with that canadian shit in here.

Back