Fighting since 2002. Still top and 1 victory away from a TS in 2018. Is Werdum GOAT in longevity?

It´s true, there are many fighters that had long and spectacular careers. But Werdum fights at HW which makes it so much more difficult. Look at Velasquez 35, for example. How many fights has he had? Not that many. But how many years has he been out already fighting injuries? Big Nog is Werdum's age and we know the guy was already looking like a corpse in the cage at the age of 35 when he decided to retire years ago.

Yes its more dangerous to fight at HW but you almost never see guys fight into their late 30s below mw. Speed is one of the first things to go, while strength and power two of the last. Hence the reason it's easier to stay relevant late in your 30s while at Hw

Werdoom is awesome. Not sure what the heck he was thinking running after Stipe like he did.
He was thinking 'oh shit, I'm fucked, nothing is working, this dude is aggro, gonna whoop my ass, need a KO'

It´s true, there are many fighters that had long and spectacular careers. But Werdum fights at HW which makes it so much more difficult. Look at Velasquez 35, for example. How many fights has he had? Not that many. But how many years has he been out already fighting injuries? Big Nog is Werdum's age and we know the guy was already looking like a corpse in the cage at the age of 35 when he decided to retire years ago.

I, respectfully, completely disagree. The guys who have been fighting forever are always heavyweights or higher weight fighters. Werdum, Arlovski, Vitor, Hendo, Hunt, Cro Cop, etc. It's EASIER to have that longevity at a higher weight.

Love Werdum! War Werdum! Agree one of the best to ever do it! He subbed Fedor and beat Cain! I mean come on man!!

I´m okay with that.
tumblr_m67otfpGW71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

JCVD bless

I feel like this is something you'd appreciate, i posted in another thread yday that showed how amazing Fedor really is

GSP went like 30-31 rounds in a row without losing 1, had 5 finishes.
Aldo went like 20 rounds without losing 1, 7 finishes.
JonnyBones went like 31 (it would be 20 or something if you think he lost 1st round of Machida fight, but i know 2 judges scored it in favor of Jon so giving him credit for it) with 9 finishes
Fedor went 40 rounds without losing 1, with 21 finishes.

Personally, I think he was the best, and he is undoubtedly one of, if not, the most exciting fighter in MMA history. There was NEVER 1 dull moment of ANY of his fights. He came to finish guys and that goes a long way in my books. But wouldn't hate if people said GSP or Anderson or JBJ are the best ever either, everyone has their opinion.

I respect Dan's career and he's a legend, but he got gifted that TS it shouldn´t be considered as a great achievement. He was ranked #14 and had lost a 1st round ko to Vitor and only had a win over Lombard (who wasn´t even ranked himself). It´s a little different than what Werdum is doing.
I agree that he wasnt a top contender when he fought bisping for the belt, but its not much worse than gsp getting the next shot. Also being ranked no.2 in a division full of dudes who need to retire is less impressive than a division of prime killers eg ww lw.
Still, war werdum!

Werdum has an amazing and long career, but he isn’t in the “goat” talks. He is in the Hendo category for me. Both have insane resumes, but neither had the consistency to be the GOAT.

That being said both of those guys could win any fight they were in and that in itself is an amazing accomplishment. The problem was that they both had huge weaknesses and could lose any fight they were in too!

Vitor.

Fought at UFC 12 in 1997. Fighting grown ass men as a teenager. Won HW title at 19. Ranked #10 at MW all these years later.

images
He barely fought though '97 is the only year that he had over 3 fights in a single year and has had more one fight years then 3 fight years. Vitor really spread himself out good where he didn't get burned out like Couture, Tito, Liddell, and Wanderlei. Plus there has been a few times where he has been written off it wasn't until his drop down to 185 that he got back to a high ranking and even now these last two years have been hard ones.

Werdum was all juicy juiced during his 2nd stint in the UFC before USADA. Ripped his fight before USADA then a bunch of fat 1 fight later, conveniently when USADA came in........ hmmmmm I wonder what happened there.

Lawler started in 2001 and is still in the top5.

C'mon dude wtf. GSP took a nap of years, came for the easiest mw ever and ran again from the contenders. Dont come with that canadian shit in here.
Yeah because I'm Canadian and all ...not even a GSP fan honestly ...just throwing his name in the hat , but if that offended you I apologize .

C'mon dude wtf. GSP took a nap of years, came for the easiest mw ever and ran again from the contenders. Dont come with that canadian shit in here.
Forgot to mention, not only are they just 3 fights apart and GSP has 9 title defenses. Werdum is 40 and GSP is only 36.

So tell me how much more active was Werdum.

You're so blinded by your hate and jealousy of GSP.

I love Werdum, but have you never heard of Dan Henderson? His final fight was a title shot and his career spanned 20 years...and that was AFTER his Olympic career.

Back