FDA To Reduce Nicotine Content in Cigarettes to Non-Addictive Levels

Hell, we can't even trust the estrogen-laden hippies up North! Every drop of water we imports have to go through this state-of-the-art water treatment plant first before reaching the tap:

Who provides your water?

If you have any questions that pertain to wastewater treatment jot 'em down and answers will be provided. :cool:

Part of me who wants to reduce the role of government in citizens day-to-day life: This is a bullshit overexertion of power.

Part of me who has struggled with quitting for a decade: Well, let's see how this plays out.

Part of me who wants to reduce the role of government in citizens day-to-day life: This is a bullshit overexertion of power.

Part of me who has struggled with quitting for a decade: Well, let's see how this plays out.

You're gonna die anyway and there's no pride in lack of discipline. Why not choose principle?

You're gonna die anyway and there's no pride in lack of discipline. Why not choose principle?

At the end of the day, I would oppose the vast overreach.

I don't believe that the government has a right to my body.

Here's an interesting court case in our town pertaining to second-hand smoking. The $15,500 rewarded to the plaintiffs is nominal at best, but it's instrumental for landlords voluntarily changing their complexes into non-smoking zones.

---

Condo owners win secondhand smoke case
By Marilyn Kalfus | Orange County Register | March 13, 2013

mjk9d2-mjk9cxsmoker.jpg

An Orange County jury has found a homeowners association negligent for failing to resolve a secondhand smoke dispute between neighbors at a Trabuco Canyon condominium.

After a five-week trial, Superior Court jurors last week awarded a family more than $15,000, finding the condo association and management failed to ensure the non-smoking family’s right to the “quiet enjoyment” of their own unit.

The verdict comes amid a growing trend in California. Non-smokers are complaining to homeowners associations, filing lawsuits and appealing to city councils to try to stop tobacco smoke from infiltrating their apartments and condominiums. A bill is pending in the state Legislature that would ban smoking in multiunit residences.

Kim and Kai Chauncey filed their lawsuit in March 2011 against the Bella Palermo Homeowner Association in Trabuco Canyon and TSG Independent Management. The defendants included Lauren and Richard Lee Pulido, identified as tenants of the condo next door.

The Chaunceys alleged that the neighbors and their visitors smoked “incessantly” on their patio next to the family’s condo and adjoining sidewalks in front of their home, with the “constant infiltration and presence of secondhand smoke” entering their condo through windows and a sliding-glass door. The Chaunceys said the smoke aggravated their young son’s asthma.

They said that despite their repeated complaints, the homeowners association, the management company, the tenants and the condo owner did not stop the problem. The Chaunceys’ lawyer, Scott Bonesteel, said in an interview that because of the smoke, the family had to move out of its condo and rent a unit elsewhere.

Bonesteel said the jury found that the homeowners association and management company were liable for breach of contract and negligence. The homeowners association’s rules did not address secondhand smoke, he said, but “we basically said what you’re doing, though it is not specifically called out in the CC & Rs, is in fact a breach.”

The association’s rules state, in part: “Section 9.03 – Nuisance. No noxious or offensive trade or activity shall be permitted upon any part of the covered property, nor shall anything be done thereon which shall in any way interfere with the quiet enjoyment of each of the owners of his respective residence.”

Bonesteel asked the jury to award the Chauncey family $120,000. Jurors came back with an award of $15,500. Of that, $6,000 was for economic damages and $9,500 for emotional distress. The jury found the homeowners association to be 60 percent responsible for the emotional distress damages, Bonesteel said, while the management company, the owner and the tenants were held liable to lesser degrees.

The lawsuit cited an Orange County municipal ordinance that states, in part, “The Environmental Protection Agency has concluded that secondhand tobacco smoke is a human carcinogen and responsible for over 3,000 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults each year.” The California Air Resources Board also identified secondhand smoke as a “toxic air contaminant,” the suit said.

http://www.ocregister.com/2013/03/13/condo-owners-win-secondhand-smoke-case/

Vaping products btw are not covered under this, they're not up for review until 2021 I believe.

Personally I believe that this will just create an even bigger market for illicit tobacco....
well, it is not the nicotine that causes cancer. they are trying to make people quit or switch to something less harmful. good initiative. I thought big tobacco had a lock on it. apparently not.

When nicotine or other addictive drug levels get very low, substances will be much less addictive. As a result, fewer youth who experiment with cigarettes or whatever drug would become addicted adult users, and previously addicted users will taper to lower doses find it easier to quit using when they attempt to do so.
As a former smoker, one thing I learned about people who smoke is that they like to say they want to quit when they really don't.

All this is is the FDA trying to look like they are doing something to protect the people while not really hurting the multi billion dollar tobacco industry.

I love the intent, but I hate the means.

People have an undying appetite to alter their neurochemistry. Cigarettes are devastating, but within the landscape of recreational drugs, they're actually one of the "softer" drugs. Just look at the opioid epidemic.

Now imagine if opioids were no longer addictive. Do you think heroin addicts enjoy living this way?

Woman-Shares-Graphic-Photos-to-Show-Addiction-11.jpg

Most smokers I know wish they could kick the habit. Perhaps this is the push that they need that will someday save their lives?

Youve never smoked have you ?

I am a pack a day smoker, and have been for around twenty years. Never once have I thought "damn, if only I had a nicotine patch, instead of this sweet, sweet cigarette with my coffee." I've always thought the addiction was in the habit and routine, and the sensation you get when you inhale, not the nicotine. I've quit, or rather postponed, smoking three times. All done with regular chewing gum and the will power to change my routine. That's all it took, and if I really wanted to, I could do it again quite easily. All those nicotine replacements are a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. If you really want to quit, you'll quit. Withdrawal symptoms from quitting smoking, are practically non-existent. You won't be climbing up the walls, or puking your guts out, if you just stop smoking.

Now of course, everyone is different and I'm only speaking for myself. Like I said though, if they removed nicotine altogether somehow, smoking would not just all of a sudden cease to exist. People would still smoke, because the habit and routine of smoking is addictive. More so, than the nicotine.

Yeah, the problem isn't the nicotine, it's the smoke lmao.

Honestly sounds like a handout to big tobacco. Gotta smoke more to get the buzz you already got before. Guess those anti smoking ads are working.
I had to smoke two marlboro lights to get the same buzz of a single red. They just want you to buy more.

<seedat>

Canada has also spent a lot of effort including:

anti-smoking campaigns, taxes, forbidding advertising and ability to even see smokes in stores (they have to be behind unmarked covers), and mandating that graphic images be on smoke packs warning about health hazards.

What gets me, is the amount of effort being put into this while at the same time not seeming to care about diet and exercise.
Or vaping. Kids aren't smoking much anymore anyways. They are vaping. A lot.

Call me cynical, but this feels like a market driven decision. We've known cigarettes we're killing people for 50 years, and the FDA finally finds the backbone to go after nicotine in cigarettes precisely at the time when there is a viable market alternative that has already replaced cigarettes in younger demographics.

All very convenient.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/28/fda-change-of-heart-about-e-cigarettes/

And now they are delaying the labeling of e-cigs, giving the impression that they are safe when there hasn't been anywhere enough studies done.

Last edited:
well, it is not the nicotine that causes cancer. they are trying to make people quit or switch to something less harmful. good initiative. I thought big tobacco had a lock on it. apparently not.

Well, to be more specific, it's the combustion. Turns out that inhaling smoke isn't good for human lungs, no matter what's in the smoke.

Also, don't kid yourself. Once it became apparent that vaping was a very viable market, Big Tobacco set its sights and they're pursuing it bigtime. Google 'Vype' - it's BAT's vaping line (BAT is the second largest tobacco company in the world). PMI meanwhile is making bets on tobacco vaping and their CEO is running around all over the place touting visions of a 'smokeless future' (one in which everyone vapes tobacco).

This will go like any other industry: Right now, there are thousands of players in the e-cig space. Give that another 20 years and it will be down to 3 or 4, just like tobacco. The big tobacco companies will simply acquire all the small successful vaping companies and expand that way, this is the same way they've done it with tobacco. Instead of trying to build their brands in foreign markets, they simply buy out local manufacturers and gradually absorb them into their massive corporate fold.

All this is is the FDA trying to look like they are doing something to protect the people while not really hurting the multi billion dollar tobacco industry.

Which part of flipping big tobacco on its head and potentially encouraging millions to quit smoking is suppose to be an FDA PR campaign that protects the tobacco industry? Tobacco stocks got smoked after the announcement.

Now imagine if opioids were no longer addictive. Do you think heroin addicts enjoy living this way?

Most smokers I know wish they could kick the habit. Perhaps this is the push that they need that will someday save their lives?
This won't help. People will smoke more.

I am a pack a day smoker, and have been for around twenty years. Never once have I thought "damn, if only I had a nicotine patch, instead of this sweet, sweet cigarette with my coffee." I've always thought the addiction was in the habit and routine, and the sensation you get when you inhale, not the nicotine. I've quit, or rather postponed, smoking three times. All done with regular chewing gum and the will power to change my routine. That's all it took, and if I really wanted to, I could do it again quite easily. All those nicotine replacements are a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. If you really want to quit, you'll quit. Withdrawal symptoms from quitting smoking, are practically non-existent. You won't be climbing up the walls, or puking your guts out, if you just stop smoking.

Now of course, everyone is different and I'm only speaking for myself. Like I said though, if they removed nicotine altogether somehow, smoking would not just all of a sudden cease to exist. People would still smoke, because the habit and routine of smoking is addictive. More so, than the nicotine.

Smoking is a sign of weakness.Same as alcohol. You have a mental and or physical addiction to a chemical and you are not strong enough to stop. I always looked down on smokers as the weakest of the herd. People with addictions are liabilities.

Controlling levels on nicotine in a cigarette? Heaven forbid an individual makes a choice or a decision based on their own wants or needs.

I don't even smoke, but this is just infringing upon an individual's right to choice.

Nicotine is only a small part of the problem, though. It's out the system in a very short time. Unlike heroin, where most everyone gets an enjoyable high when they first give it a try, cigarettes require individuals to condition themselves to enjoy it--no one I've ever spoken to takes their first few drags and thinks, "This is great!" There's an addiction to smoking itself, just like @HereticBD mentioned. It's why nicotine gum and patches aren't the most effective, despite delivering the same amount of drug that people get from a cigarette.

I don't see this having a huge impact for current smokers, though less of an initial buzz from cigarettes may reduce the number of new smokers down the line.

Who cares? It cost Medicare a shit fuck amount of money. I am tired of paying for people who choose to smoke. If you want to smoke, pick up the tab yourself.

Nicotine is only a small part of the problem, though. It's out the system in a very short time. Unlike heroin, where most everyone gets an enjoyable high when they first give it a try, cigarettes require individuals to condition themselves to enjoy it--no one I've ever spoken to takes their first few drags and thinks, "This is great!" There's an addiction to smoking itself, just like @HereticBD mentioned. It's why nicotine gum and patches aren't the most effective, despite delivering the same amount of drug that people get from a cigarette.

I don't see this having a huge impact for current smokers, though less of an initial buzz from cigarettes may reduce the number of new smokers down the line.

People still develop a physical dependency to nicotine. No one smokes because it's cool or fun. They do it because they need to. A few cigarettes when you're young can quickly turn into a life long addiction because of the nicotine.

I can definitely see current smokers buying more, in order to satisfy their cravings. However, most don't have the financial means to do so. After a while of less exposure to nicotine, quitting would become easier as well.

For new smokers, their dependency to nicotine would be far less from the get go.

Back