FDA To Reduce Nicotine Content in Cigarettes to Non-Addictive Levels

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
TELEMMGLPICT000125748643-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqV3dVgzZ0hKVb8AhxVuOTfX8-Zpwq5zJzOyJCJIZMqrk.jpeg

Nicotine in cigarettes is set to be cut to non-addictive levels for the first time after American regulators unveiled radical plans aimed at reducing the number of smokers, in a move hailed by British health experts as having “international significance”.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has launched a landmark consultation to restrict nicotine levels, citing the “overwhelming” levels of death cigarettes cause.

Research has suggested cigarettes would have to be made 30 times weaker to effectively become non-addictive.

The development is a bad one for the global tobacco industry, with estimates the largest producers could lose around $60 billion (£46 billion) in market value.

Announcing the move, Scott Gottlieb, the FDA commissioner said it would “begin a public dialogue” on introducing more regulations, saying cigarettes are the “only legal consumer product that, when used as intended, will kill half of all long-term users”.

“Unless we change course, 5.6 million young people alive today will die prematurely later in life from tobacco use.” Among the plans, the FDA said it would also be looking to make it easier for less harmful nicotine products to enter the market and said it “must also recognise potential for innovation”.

Prof Linda Bauld, professor of health policy at the University of Stirling, said: “These long-awaited plans have international significance. They suggest the US may be the first country in the world to require product standard for cigarettes that include reducing nicotine to non-addictive levels.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/28/us-plans-nicotine-cut-make-smoking-non-addictive/

Good time to invest in cigarrette smuggling.

Vaping products btw are not covered under this, they're not up for review until 2021 I believe.

Personally I believe that this will just create an even bigger market for illicit tobacco....

Yeah, the problem isn't the nicotine, it's the smoke lmao.

Honestly sounds like a handout to big tobacco. Gotta smoke more to get the buzz you already got before. Guess those anti smoking ads are working.

Honestly sounds like a handout to big tobacco. Gotta smoke more to get the buzz you already got before. Guess those anti smoking ads are working.

Exactly what I was thinking. Similar to when they made cigarettes "safer" by having them go out if you weren't puffing on them.

What smoking ads?

Only thing I ever see anymore are "truth" anti smoking ads.

This should significantly reduce tobacco use and tobacco-related disease.

What smoking ads?

Only thing I ever see anymore are "truth" anti smoking ads.

Those are the ones. "Hay guise, let's be the last generation to smoke tho". If they're doing something this drastic, then profit margins must be hurting.

Canada has also spent a lot of effort including:

anti-smoking campaigns, taxes, forbidding advertising and ability to even see smokes in stores (they have to be behind unmarked covers), and mandating that graphic images be on smoke packs warning about health hazards.

What gets me, is the amount of effort being put into this while at the same time not seeming to care about diet and exercise.

What gets me, is the amount of effort being put into this while at the same time not seeming to care about diet and exercise.
Or alcohol consumption. How many drunk driving arrests and deaths are we up to now? I mean, if we'er gonna nanny our health out to government...

People will smoke more.

This should significantly reduce tobacco use and tobacco-related disease.
If you reduce the amount of alcohol in in liquor, will people drink less?

Cut heroin to be less pure, will people use less?

Another example of how Congress has ceded legislation-making authority to the executive branch. :(

People will smoke more.

cigarettes are like $8 a pack in some states. I'm sure many will continue to smoke, but what this does is prevent new smokers from getting hooked so easily.

If you reduce the amount of alcohol in in liquor, will people drink less?

Cut heroin to be less pure, will people use less?

When nicotine or other addictive drug levels get very low, substances will be much less addictive. As a result, fewer youth who experiment with cigarettes or whatever drug would become addicted adult users, and previously addicted users will taper to lower doses find it easier to quit using when they attempt to do so.

I'm concerned this is going to quickly lead to the big tobacco-izing of e-cigs. Hopefully the death merchants won't be allowed to destroy the industry and start murdering all over again. So far the industry has been very ethical.

When nicotine or other addictive drug levels get very low, substances will be much less addictive. As a result, fewer youth who experiment with cigarettes or whatever drug would become addicted adult users, and previously addicted users will taper to lower doses find it easier to quit using when they attempt to do so.

So the smoke'll choke 'em out before they can catch a buzz? Or they'll just go broke first?

Back