FDA To Reduce Nicotine Content in Cigarettes to Non-Addictive Levels

So are they reducing the nicotine or making the ciggarettes nicotine free....

If you want to kill off smoking follow australias lead and raise the price. Its near on 1$ per ciggie.

They could put it to 0%. People will still smoke, because they're addicted to smoking, not nicotine.

Just increasing sales and black market demand

As a small government conservative I oppose this. It's not up to the government to decide what levels of nicotine I want in my cigarettes. My body my choice.

They'll seriously do that? The smokers would basically have to go to vaping to catch a buzz, which is better for everyone involved.

Yeah, the problem isn't the nicotine, it's the smoke lmao.

Honestly sounds like a handout to big tobacco. Gotta smoke more to get the buzz you already got before. Guess those anti smoking ads are working.
People will smoke more.

I don't have any empirical data, but I really do think you guys are wrong here. Despite having once been a guy who smoked a pack and a half of 100's a day, I seamlessly transitioned to 72's and have smoked them now for several years. I realized it the act of smoking and not the amount of nicotine/tobacco that mattered: it was the breaking up of my day and tasks.

Why not just get rid of them all together? Other than to provide an "addiction tax" to the government, what's the reasoning for keeping them in the market?

We got rid of the Corvair because it was "unsafe at any speed". Why not cigarettes?

As a small government conservative I oppose this. It's not up to the government to decide what levels of nicotine I want in my cigarettes. My body my choice.
And who's going to pay the health bills for all you smokers on medicaid?

I don't have any empirical data, but I really do think you guys are wrong here. Despite having once been a guy who smoked a pack and a half of 100's a day, I seamlessly transitioned to 72's and have smoked them now for several years. I realized it the act of smoking and not the amount of nicotine/tobacco that mattered: it was the breaking up of my day and tasks.

Aren't 72's just shorter cigarettes with less filter? I don't think they have less nicotine. If they do, only marginally less.

They could put it to 0%. People will still smoke, because they're addicted to smoking, not nicotine.
Very untrue in my experience. It's almost entirely the nicotine.

Canada has also spent a lot of effort including:

anti-smoking campaigns, taxes, forbidding advertising and ability to even see smokes in stores (they have to be behind unmarked covers), and mandating that graphic images be on smoke packs warning about health hazards.

What gets me, is the amount of effort being put into this while at the same time not seeming to care about diet and exercise.

Shit, this is our food pyramid in the US
2011-06-02-USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

Why smoke when you can load up on breads loaded with sugar?

cigarettes are like $8 a pack in some states. I'm sure many will continue to smoke, but what this does is prevent new smokers from getting hooked so easily.

I was running yesterday and I ran by a convenience store (WA). I glanced at the normal marlboro cigarettes they were advertising. 7.89 a pack. Sheeeeit. Meanwhile, I bought an oz of pineapple kush ground up for joints for 49 bucks at a shop. What a weird state.........

Back