FDA To Reduce Nicotine Content in Cigarettes to Non-Addictive Levels

Aren't 72's just shorter cigarettes with less filter? I don't think they have less nicotine. If they do, only marginally less.

The tobacco contains the same amount of nicotine per mg, but there is less tobacco, hence the shorter cigarette and lower price.

From birth until death we are all trying to find ways to kill ourselves. It all starts with trying to stick your little baby finger into a power outlet.

I love the intent, but I hate the means.

People have an undying appetite to alter their neurochemistry. Cigarettes are devastating, but within the landscape of recreational drugs, they're actually one of the "softer" drugs. Just look at the opioid epidemic.

Studies have shown that people that smoke light cigarettes take more drags and inhale more deeply, effectively inhaling higher quantities of tar and nicotine than people that smoke full flavor cigarettes. Big tobacco conducted the studies decades ago and still marketed lights as a "safer cigarette".

As a small government conservative I oppose this. It's not up to the government to decide what levels of nicotine I want in my cigarettes. My body my choice.

I completely agree with you, but only as long as the poisonous stuff you choose to inhale into YOUR body for recreational purposes don't freely find their way into other people's lungs and kill THEIR bodies when you exhale them.

People have an undying appetite to alter their neurochemistry. Cigarettes are devastating, but within the landscape of recreational drugs, they're actually one of the "softer" drugs. Just look at the opioid epidemic.

The fact that there are THOUSANDS of Americans getting lungs cancer each year despite never smoked a day in their life thanks to the exhaled second-hand smoke from their friends, families, and neighbors is why I think it's ludicrous that smoking is not banned like hard drugs, consider the collatteral damage involved.

If my next-door neighbors choose to inject poison into their veins, at least I'm sure that poison doesn't fly out of their veins through the air into MY veins and give ME health problems later, health problems that I would have to pay for and not them.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you, but only as long as the poisonous stuff you choose to inhale into YOUR body for recreational purposes don't freely find their way into other people's lungs and kill THEIR bodies when you exhale them.

So any drugs finding their way into the water supply you're in favor of...?

cigarettes are like $8 a pack in some states. I'm sure many will continue to smoke, but what this does is prevent new smokers from getting hooked so easily.

$14 in NYC, about $11 in Hawaii.

Very untrue in my experience. It's almost entirely the nicotine.

Not sure about that. I quit like 6 months ago and still craved them even though I used snus and nicorette lozenges. The nicotine was a big part of it, but was also the habit of smoking whenever I had a cup of tea or just finished work.

The fact that there are THOUSANDS of Americans getting lungs cancer each year despite never smoked a day in their life thanks to the exhaled second-hand smoke from their friends, families, and neighbors is why I think it's ludicrous that smoking is not banned like hard drugs, consider the collatteral damage involved.

If my next-door neighbors choose to inject poison into their veins, at least I'm sure that poison doesn't fly out of their veins through the air into MY veins and give ME health problems later, health problems that I would have to pay for and not them.
This crap trickles down into any other vices people have. The government loves mandating limits on purchase of alcohol, the potency of what you intake and to increase the amount you pay into their already over-inflated coffers, which ends up hurting companies bottom lines and the workers in the end. They will not stop at cigarettes, it will keep going to other things as well. They will limit the things 'law abiding" citizens do, and remain powerless on stopping hard drug users, traffickers and cartels. The masses will thank them for their work while they roll in more regulations on junk food, booze and of course pot.

If you have friends, family and neighbors who come into your house and blow smoke in your lungs, you need new friends. If you go to their houses and sit in their filth and stank then you have no respect for yourself and your lungs.
$14 in NYC, about $11 in Hawaii.

Not sure about that. I quit like 6 months ago and still craved them even though I used snus and nicorette lozenges. The nicotine was a big part of it, but was also the habit of smoking whenever I had a cup of tea or just finished work.
Along the lines of not being hungry at noon, but 'needing' to eat just cuz

Unless tey used to work in a pub as a barman then its prob comes down other factors. Fact is we dont really understand Cancers or why certain people are effected. How can some people smoke their whole lives yet never show any signs of it affecting their health..

<TrumpWrong1><18>

As long as it's not Estrogen like the drinking water in San Francisco.

That explains a lot about that city, actually.

lol

Lots of pharmaceuticals end up in the water supply. If second-hand smoke is a legit concern over limited exposure then we should put every other drug on the same scale of standards? Or maybe just accept it because...AMA?

lol

Lots of pharmaceuticals end up in the water supply. If second-hand smoke is a legit concern over limited exposure then we should put every other drug on the same scale of standards? Or maybe just accept it because...AMA?

When you see the news say "water supply", what they meant are the rivers and lakes where water is drawn from, and even then, the trace diluted amounts are often measured in parts per trillion.

Fortunately, most major counties nowadays have their own state-of-the-art water treatment plants to filter out chemical and biological contaminants before pumping it into the pipes for residential usage. I think I mentioned the facility we have in Orange County in that thread about Los Angeles stealing other people's water.

So unless you live in Flint, or one of those places in the dirty South where the brown/murky/smelly tap water came straight from the rivers, chance are you can drink as much treated municipal water as you want without getting sick from the hard drugs that made their way into the region's "water supply" before they reach the city's water treatment plant.

Last edited:
When you see the news say "water supply", what they meant are the rivers and lakes where water is drawn from.

Fortunately, most major counties nowadays have their own state-of-the-art water treatment plants to filter out chemical and biological contaminants before pumping it into the pipes for residential usage. I think I mentioned the facility we have in Orange County in that thread about Los Angeles stealing other people's water.

So unless you live in Flint, or one of those places in the South where the tap water is pumped straight from the rivers, chance are you can drink as much treated municipal water as you want without getting sick from possible chemical contamination.

You caught me not having my ducks in a row. But if we wanna make this an issue I'll collect some data and give it a go.

In the meantime...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/only-half-of-drugs-removed-by-sewage-treatment/

The scientists reviewed 10 years of data from wastewater treatment plants worldwide to see how well they removed 42 compounds that are increasingly showing up in the Great Lakes.

Six chemicals were detected frequently and had a low rate of removal in treated effluent: an herbicide, an anti-seizure drug, two antibiotic drugs, an antibacterial drug and an anti-inflammatory drug.

Caffeine, acetaminophen and estriol (a natural estrogen) also were frequently detected in sewage but had high removal rates.

Chemicals’ showing up in wastewater effluent doesn’t necessarily mean they will be found in drinking water. But some studies have found prescription drugs in drinking water at parts-per-trillion levels. A federal study of 74 waterways used for drinking water in 25 states found 53 had traces of one or more pharmaceuticals.

There are currently no federal regulations of pharmaceuticals in waste or drinking water. However, 12 pharmaceuticals are currently on the Environmental Protection Agency’s list of chemicals under consideration for drinking water standards.

Most researchers expected that the large lakes would dilute pharmaceuticals quickly, but a study this summer found the drugs contaminating Lake Michigan two miles from Milwaukee sewage outfalls.

Caffeine, acetaminophen and estriol (a natural estrogen) also were frequently detected in sewage but had high removal rates.

In other words: Starbucks, Tylenol, and estrogen pills.

I can already tell this test sample is from the rivers that feeds water to San Francisco and Los Angeles. :cool:

The city can remove nearly all the contaminants being dumped into their lakes and rivers. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an efficient personal air filtration system for smokers to treat the toxic chemical they exhale into other people's lungs, and so the "my body, my choice" argument quickly became "my choice, other people's problem".

Last edited:
In other words: Starbucks, Tylenol, and estrogen pills.

I can already tell this test sample is from the rivers that feeds water to San Francisco and Los Angeles. :cool:

Aren't you fed by the Colorado? You've got that much faith in your upstream neighbors? Hope it doesn't include Vegas!! <Eek2.0>

Aren't you fed by the Colorado? You've got that much faith in your upstream neighbors? Hope it doesn't include Vegas!! <Eek2.0>

Hell, we can't even trust the estrogen-laden hippies up North! Every drop of water we imports have to go through this state-of-the-art water treatment plant first before reaching the tap:

I also installed another 6-stage reverse-osmosis filtration system under my sink to take out all the chlorine as well as anything that might rubs off from the miles of pipes that runs all the way from the water district to our neighborhood, so you can say my tap water is on par with bottled water :cool:

Last edited:
Back