FACT: The Civil War WAS @ Slavery and the Confederacy Was EVIL

Lol at you basing your opinion from a youtube video.

Do some research goofball.

I have been a casual Civil War buff for a long time. I think the more you understand that war, the more you understand the country. I also think that the "complex causes" ("no war was ever fought for more reasons") meme is a myth that has taken on a life of its own. It's become a truism, but that doesn't mean it is TRUE. If you look at the documents from the time, yeah, there were a lot of issues mentioned, but slavery is almost always the number one.

The war had absolutely nothing to do with slavery...as a moral issue.

It had everything to do with slavery as a money issue though.

Bullshit.

That's like saying "Child labor is an economic issue, not a moral issue."

You can't split those hairs.

Most evil in human history is perpetrated for economic gain. Economic issues ARE moral issues.

Plus, what economic benefit did the North gain from the end of slavery? There was perhaps an economic benefit from preserving the union, but not from ending slavery specifically.

Keep telling yourself that, imperialist Yankee.
Actually, I do NOT think the war was justified. I think it was a was a war of aggression on the part of the North. But the South and the Confederacy WERE evil. Both sides were in the wrong, albeit for very different reasons.

Last edited:
The thing is, like most things and nations in history, the United states has been a mix of very good and very bad things. For every repulsive shitty thing the United States or its people did, there one or more amazing contributions to the betterment of mankind that the rest of us can thank them for.

They are by no means as good and perfect as they like to think they are, but they're not bad guys either.

On the other hand, there was nothing good or redeemable about the Confederacy. It was born of evil, for the preservation of evil and its noxious legacy has done nothing but poison the generations that followed.

That's ridiculous there was plenty good and redeemable about the confederacy, and just as much evil and noxious about the Union.

The confederacy never led a march through the heart of the union slaughtering civilians and burning cities to the ground.

Millions of confederate soldiers who never owned nor could ever hope to own a slave took up arms in defense of their homes. And just because the war started 500 miles away from their home over an issue that we today consider "evil" and "noxious" doesn't reduce the valor and bravery these men showed.

There was nothing good about the Mexican-American war, the genocide of the natives, the Spanish-American war, The Vietnam war, or any of our boondoggles in the middle east.

The United States has fought 3 conflicts for self-defense in its history yet they have been at war for 222 out of 239 years of its existence.

Edit: And with that, I think I've shown enough cognitive dissonance in this thread. The Confederacy is evil because the Union won. The US is good because even thou we fight almost yearly wars for nothing but the maintenance of empire, nobody has come along with a big enough stick to make us pay for it yet. Be careful how you view history guys because the US could one day be remembered just as bitterly as the confederacy.

Last edited:
*Makes fun of educated historians*

*Cites Youtube video as argument*

Lulz...

Keep telling yourself that, imperialist Yankee.

The very first stipulation in the Confederacy's constitution was to re-affirm the rights of slave owners and uphold slavery as a cause of the South.

*Makes fun of educated historians*

*Cites Youtube video as argument*

Lulz...
A youtube video by a US Army Colonel and lead Westpoint History Prof...

Let me get this right: Faux Newz and Twitter are good enough to be POTUS but a youtube video from a completely legitimate source isn't good enough for the Sherbros...

A youtube video by a US Army Colonel and lead Westpoint History Prof...

So basically, one history Prof's opinion >>>>>>>>>> Anyone who disagrees with it, including other highly qualified individuals. Solid argument.

Your second statement doesn't even make sense. Twitter and Faux News are good enough to be POTUS? What the hell are you even talking about?

Ts is too much of simpleton to understand that it could have been about both states rights and slavery.

And Lol @ using the term "evil" to describe the confederacy like a nincompoop when the union was (and is) responsible for far more unnecessary deaths.

That's ridiculous there was plenty good and redeemable about the confederacy, and just as much evil and noxious about the Union.

No there wasn’t.

The confederacy never led a march through the heart of the union slaughtering civilians and burning cities to the ground.

Not for lack of trying. Their entire strategy was predicated on invading the North.

Millions of confederate soldiers who never owned nor could ever hope to own a slave took up arms in defense of their homes. And just because the war started 500 miles away from their home over an issue that we today consider "evil" and "noxious" doesn't reduce the valor and bravery these men showed.

My country, right or wrong is not a valid excuse for fighting for an evil cause. They fought for an evil cause in a war that they started. I piss on their "valor" and I shit on their "bravery". Fuck every last one of them who wore the grey and may they burn in hell where they belong.

There was nothing good about the Mexican-American war, the genocide of the natives, the Spanish-American war, The Vietnam war, or any of our boondoggles in the middle east.

The United States has fought 3 conflicts for self-defense in its history yet they have been at war for 222 out of 239 years of its existence.

So what? I already mentioned that the United States has done plenty of horrible shit. But they’ve also done a lot of good.

Unlike the Confederacy.

Edit: And with that, I think I've shown enough cognitive dissonance in this thread. The Confederacy is evil because the Union won.

Nobody is saying that. The Confederacy was evil because, and I quote its vice-president… “[Their] government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.”

Then as now, this was a monstrous evil and a repulsive belief system, and any government founded upon it deserves nothing but the contempt and hatred off all generations to come.

Look at what we did to Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines.

And that was just the ill-gotten spoils of one of our many unjustified wars of imperialism.

people need to quit with these overly simplistic generalizations about countries. we've done some bad shit. we've done a lot of good too. who do you think we be a better behaved superpower?

Lol at you basing your opinion from a youtube video.

Do some research goofball.

The war had absolutely nothing to do with slavery...as a moral issue.

It had everything to do with slavery as a money issue though.

how can you just absolve yourself from the morality that way lol?

"when i killed that guy, it had nothing to do with morality. his restaurant was better than mine and hurt my business. so now hes dead."

I am American, and if we are going to call out southerners as evil for the confederacy than all Americans are just as pure unadulterated evil for our imperialistic aggression against Mexico, the Caribbean, and the Pacific.
As an evil american yourself, what are you doing to set things right besides calling out everyone else?

So basically, one history Prof's opinion >>>>>>>>>> Anyone who disagrees with it, including other highly qualified individuals. Solid argument.

Your second statement doesn't even make sense. Twitter and Faux News are good enough to be POTUS? What the hell are you even talking about?

its not that hard to grasp:

each state's congress wrote documentation stating why they were seceding. just glance over those and see what they say.

the abstract notion of "state's rights" was also a bit odd when you consider how southern states used the Fed to bully states like penn into enforcing fugitive slave laws against their will.

theres also the claim that lincoln didnt care about slavery. if thats true, then why did he turn his nose up at the crittenden compromise?

most whites didnt own slaves in the south, but they did fear free black labor. so yea, they did fight to the death over slaves.

Society needs more confederate flag bumper stickers and nazi armbands.

I like how you ignored the many threads on this where many people proved you are wrong

The civil war was about states rights vs federa. Slavery was one of many "states rights" that they fought over. The south already stopped wanting to listen to the north during Andrew jacksons presidency when congress passed a tax that South Carolina didn't want to listen to. John C Calhoun wrote the doctrine of nullification, saying that states don't have to listen if they don't want to. Jackson had to send the military to tell them to cut that shit out, and to threaten them, specifically if they tried nullification or secession

Saying the civil war was about slavery is like saying the American revolution was only about a tax on their tea, yeah that was a big point of contention that motivated them to fight but it was part of a larger disagreement about taxation without representation

History books focus on slavery, because that's the most sugarcoated way of looking at tons of people killing each other. Saying it was for the greater good...

how can you just absolve yourself from the morality that way lol?

"when i killed that guy, it had nothing to do with morality. his restaurant was better than mine and hurt my business. so now hes dead."
This isn't about me. It's about what caused the Civil War.

And outside of a few true abolitionists, nobody on either side gave a rip about the slaves as human beings.

I will prove this in my upcoming debate.

its not that hard to grasp:

each state's congress wrote documentation stating why they were seceding. just glance over those and see what they say.

the abstract notion of "state's rights" was also a bit odd when you consider how southern states used the Fed to bully states like penn into enforcing fugitive slave laws against their will.

theres also the claim that lincoln didnt care about slavery. if thats true, then why did he turn his nose up at the crittenden compromise?

most whites didnt own slaves in the south, but they did fear free black labor. so yea, they did fight to the death over slaves.
Yet he was willing to agree to the Corwin agreement that protected slavery forever.

Jonny. You are just plain wrong dude.

Society needs more confederate flag bumper stickers and nazi armbands.
Society needs to have half of the intestinal fortitude of the citizens back then.

We aren't truly willing to fight for anything we believe in.

We are far too comfortable now.

This isn't about me. It's about what caused the Civil War.

And outside of a few true abolitionists, nobody on either side gave a rip about the slaves as human beings.

I will prove this in my upcoming debate.

"If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time save Slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy Slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy Slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that."- Abraham Lincoln

@luckyshot do you still think the northerners only wanted to fight because they wanted to free slaves?

If the south only seceded over slavery, why would they have seceded if Lincoln said he would've conceded on slavery to save the union....

Back