Dutch kickboxing

I know not everyone has the time, but Eric Haycraft covers the history of dutch kickboxing (kyokushin roots, etc...) quite well in this interview. As former Glory talent scout and close friend of both Rob Kaman & the late Ramon Dekkers, he is one of if not the best trainers in the US for dutch kickboxing.

To me, Marat Grigorian is a good example of Dutck Kickboxing.

michael cro cop my favourite dutch kickboxer, very good punch and kicks yes he learn from raymon dekker very good muay tai bookao also good but only use feet no punch

Can you elaborate more on this and what you mean? I'm very interested in this. My original muay thai coach did not claim to teach dutch style but my teammates often said his style was dutch style. I didn't really understand what that meant and just trained it for years. It was very much combination based but with a strong emphasis on kicking and boxing, depending on the body typee of the fighter, one took precedence but it was usually very well rounded. Training was very drill oriented with partner work done frequently, and sparring was regular of course. This was back in 2005 when the term wasn't used much yet. Now, I hear people throw the term around so much and I basically just watch people teach boxing combinations ending with kicks when they say this. I had wondered why the term "Dutch style kickboxing" just seemed to have exploded the last few years. The style my coach taught seemed just normal to me, as it has been all I have known and don't know enough about others besides thai style traditional, and american kickboxing.

My coach is originally from Japan and has trained there, and gone to thailand and holland to train and coach with some of the old school big names out of there. Rob kaman came for a seminar at out gym before and his style and combination work had a slightly different twist to it, but not very different from what my instructor taught

What are your observations of behavior from coaches tells you they are trying to imitate, but don't understand it?

Did you train at HMC?

I know not everyone has the time, but Eric Haycraft covers the history of dutch kickboxing (kyokushin roots, etc...) quite well in this interview. As former Glory talent scout and close friend of both Rob Kaman & the late Ramon Dekkers, he is one of if not the best trainers in the US for dutch kickboxing.

great post!

Dutch fighters have a really hard time with muay thai fighters.

Wasn't always as bad as it is now a though. Dutch guys used to be much more well-rounded in techniques and fight experience.

Compare the performance of thais in kickboxing vs dutch fighters in muay thai. How many dutch fighters had consistent success in muay thai?

And also keep in mind that the Thais who compete under KB rules generally fight way above their weight. Ex: Groenhart vs Thongchai - one is 170, the other typically fights at 160. This is a huge factor.

And also keep in mind that the Thais who compete under KB rules generally fight way above their weight. Ex: Groenhart vs Thongchai - one is 170, the other typically fights at 160. This is a huge factor.
You're right, but Thongchai is just a bit fat. He probably can't fight at LW

Wasn't always as bad as it is now a though. Dutch guys used to be much more well-rounded in techniques and fight experience.
True, like Ramon Dekkers

Back