Dutch kickboxing

Correct, I base it on application of skill. There are tons of guys with tons of skill who aren't able to apply it when the cage closes. The lesser skilled guy loses all the time for this reason. Rumble is the guy who can go into an MMA setting and make it happen best.

Sooo then the winner is still overeem.

I mean not like he has been with winklejohn all that long and he still uses shit load what he learned from carbin, and still trains with him to this day for his camps.

And I agree with you on the applying it in the cage factor cause that is true. But I would say more of a consistent at a high level. Even then he still only uses a few actual techniques from the Dutch style( ala the Gustafson finish with sweeping the leg to counter with right) and a nice uppercut. But his kicks are very "meh" I mean his left high kick is the same it has always been.

I still don't see how he is over overeem

Last edited:
Overeems weird Winklejohn style worked for what, one fight? The one against JDS. It arguably cost him the fight against Stipe. Put your hands up, you can't turtle like you can in kickboxing but you can still deflect shots off your elbow and forearms while still including slips, pull backs, and parrys.

I've been watching Reem compete for 15 years he's been Dutch style 99% of his career. His problem has always been his glass jaw.

His problem has always been his glass jaw.

And USADA. The large cage doesn't help him either, a lot of his success in K1 came from bullying fighters into the ropes and landing big power shots.

i never thought of overeem as an example of dutch style. To me he was one of the only dutch guys who used real muaythai. He favored one shot at a time instead of combos ending in low kicks and relied heavily on the clinch for his knees and dumping/sweeping people.

And USADA. The large cage doesn't help him either, a lot of his success in K1 came from bullying fighters into the ropes and landing big power shots.
I still think of Pride Overeem. He wasn't juiced up his whole career, and all his opponents in K-1 were juiced up too anyways. But ya I agree he wasn't incredibly savvy in K-1.

i never thought of overeem as an example of dutch style. To me he was one of the only dutch guys who used real muaythai. He favored one shot at a time instead of combos ending in low kicks and relied heavily on the clinch for his knees and dumping/sweeping people.
Just as you can say there isn't just one generic style of Muay Thai the same can be said for the Dutch style. Not everyone is combination low kick. But ya he does have a Thai influence for sure.

Just as you can say there isn't just one generic style of Muay Thai the same can be said for the Dutch style. Not everyone is combination low kick. But ya he does have a Thai influence for sure.
What about tj dillashaw he is clearly the best Dutch Muay Thai practioner in MMA.

What about tj dillashaw he is clearly the best Dutch Muay Thai practioner in MMA.
I can see the Thai in TJs style but not the Dutch. The Dutch don't emphasize speed and you really need to use speed when you're at 135, as TJ does. Its the Brazilians who seem to fight like a combination of Thai and Dutch. Aldo was the best at that style.

I can see the Thai in TJs style but not the Dutch. The Dutch don't emphasize speed and you really need to use speed when you're at 135, as TJ does. Its the Brazilians who seem to fight like a combination of Thai and Dutch. Aldo was the best at that style.
I don't think speed is typical to a certain style. The dutch use faster combos than thais do though

I think brazilian muay thai is, or was heavily influenced by TKD but there are quite a few brazilians training and fighting in thailand at mid level fights (thai style)

That's not always the case. Sittichai was also a decorated boxer iirc and Petro's boxing is among the best in K1.
Many times, we've seen Dutch fighters overwhelm and outbox Thais, e.g: Groenhart vs Thongchai and many other examples in smaller promotions I can't think of.

Andy Souwer vs Yodsanklai

I don't think speed is typical to a certain style. The dutch use faster combos than thais do though

I think brazilian muay thai is, or was heavily influenced by TKD but there are quite a few brazilians training and fighting in thailand at mid level fights (thai style)
Ironically the best Brazillian Kickboxers either trained in Thailand or had a Kyokushin background. The bumswing TKD kick and knee guys were relegated to MMA...

If that is the case, a good example might be RDA. Pre-USADA, he was starching tall outside fighters like Pettis. Had a great low kick and powerful left hand. Decent Muay Thai and dangerous pressure boxing. Again, not really dutch style, but I think his way is better adapted to MMA.
He looked good in his last fight - not sure why people are saying Pre-Usada. He also buzzed through cowboy under usada and was pretty much getting the upperhand against Eddie last year.

He looked good in his last fight - not sure why people are saying Pre-Usada. He also buzzed through cowboy under usada and was pretty much getting the upperhand against Eddie last year.
Well he gassed in his last two fights... also Tony pieced him up way too easily. Just didn't seem like the same RDA that destroyed Pettis.

Well he gassed in his last two fights... also Tony pieced him up way too easily. Just didn't seem like the same RDA that destroyed Pettis.
He had problems with the weight cut and almost died from it.

And he was in a new Weight class fighting a much bigger man who spent the first round, most of it, stuck underneath that bigger man. Also, carrying more weight. And for someone who is perceived to have gassed he was the one pushing forward at the end of that fight.

Ironically the best Brazillian Kickboxers either trained in Thailand or had a Kyokushin background. The bumswing TKD kick and knee guys were relegated to MMA...

It's just another word for Dutch kickboxing there are multiple names for Dutch kickboxing and to all the people this is a Dutch kickboxing thread not a thread to debate whether or not other fighters are good since usada if you want to do that type in dos Anjos usada lol no hate tho.

He had problems with the weight cut and almost died from it.

And he was in a new Weight class fighting a much bigger man who spent the first round, most of it, stuck underneath that bigger man. Also, carrying more weight. And for someone who is perceived to have gassed he was the one pushing forward at the end of that fight.
But how come he didn't have problems cutting weight foe the Pettis, Cerrone or Bendo fights?
As for the WW fight... I don't think Saffiedine is that much bigger than, say, Ferguson or Cowboy, and RDA didn't have as much trouble with them iirc.

But how come he didn't have problems cutting weight foe the Pettis, Cerrone or Bendo fights?
As for the WW fight... I don't think Saffiedine is that much bigger than, say, Ferguson or Cowboy, and RDA didn't have as much trouble with them iirc.
He was younger than - but whatever.

And at 170 Safierdine is much bigger than fergie or cowboy at 155 - but think what you want. In the end, like I said, he spent the first round with a naturally bigger guy on top of him grappling, there was lots of clinching, and Rafa was the one going forward the whole time = while fighting for the first time at 170.

He was younger than - but whatever.

And at 170 Safierdine is much bigger than fergie or cowboy at 155 - but think what you want. In the end, like I said, he spent the first round with a naturally bigger guy on top of him grappling, there was lots of clinching, and Rafa was the one going forward the whole time = while fighting for the first time at 170.
Guys read the title Dutch kickboxing only dudes lol

That's not always the case. Sittichai was also a decorated boxer iirc
Where in the world did you get this info? Sittichai won a couple of thai army western boxing tournaments after he started kickboxing.

Back