Dungeons and Dragons v5 Just released.

It's a lot like sitting around listening to a friend tell a story. The difference is you are an active character in the story, not just a passive listener.

So the friend creates a story following some sort of structure from the hand book is it? And then if someone wants to complete an action it depends on a dice roll?

So the friend creates a story following some sort of structure from the hand book is it? And then if someone wants to complete an action it depends on a dice roll?

Sort of.

Let's say I am the game master or dungeon master or story teller. I create the plot like any movie or novel. I also control every non player character you interact with- the local sheriff, the bar tender, the monsters you fight.

You create a character by using the handbook. That is it's main job. It allows you to design what you want to play. Your race, your class, you physical and mental attributes, you weapons and gear, your talents and skills, your knowledge and information. The book gives you the rules and the numbers for all those things, but you create the character and his or her personality and morals.

For every action you attempt, the game master or GM, assigns a target number you have to roll on the dice in order to succeed at that action. For example if you want to smack a bitch up and I say to hit her you need to get a 14 on a 20 sided die. You roll a 10, but your character is +5 for hitting bitched so you rolled a 15 total and have succeeded.

The gm can create the plot and the world from scratch and his own imagination or he can use a premade story to help him.

I've only played pen & paper D&D once. I'm not sure if my experience was normal, or if the DM just wasn't sure what he was doing. If it's normal, I'm done with that mess. We were a 6 man party, well mixed with range, spell casters, and melee classes. I was playing a ranger I believe. We started at level 4 or 5 I think. We got through about 4 rooms of our our adventure, and got mobbed by 24 kobolds. The kobolds were level 1. This one fight took over 3 hours. Every single roll turned up miss for all of our melee. They never landed a blow in the entire fight. My character seemed to hit about 2% of the time. It took 6 or 7 hits for each kobold to die because our damage wasn't that great. It turned out, our cleric had picked up an item in the previous room that would have killed all the kobolds with one action, however the DM didn't set it up as important, he just said it was a potion bottle with a glow.

If that's normal, no thanks. I don't mind taking turns and throwing dice, but when the whole fight was poorly set up to be a poorly implemented gimmick, I don't really care to entertain that. If he had said about halfway through the fight that the bottle was quivering ominously or something, we might have known.

That sounds like a poor gm. If the fight is going that badly for that long he could have changed things up. And how was it so hard to hit and kill level 1 kobolds? It certainly feels that battle was not balanced properly for your party. This why it's better for newer gm's to stick with premade stories, where the plot and battles and enemies are already set and the gm just has to keep things on track or improvise when the party goes off script.

I wouldn't classify it as strictly like any of the previous versions, though it borrows heavily from 2nd and 3rd, and sprinkles in some 1rst and 4th. Feats are there, less common but much more powerful. The core classes line up pretty well with 3rd edition, but the subclasses differentiate the core classes similar to kits from 2nd or the bajillion classes of 4th. Bounded accuracy and a strict action economy means you never outscale enemies the way you did in 3rd, so a high level fighter going up against 20 orcs is going to get Boromir'd (which I think is awesome). The concentration mechanic means that you can't just stack layers of buffs and debuffs and laugh at the enemies trying to kill you... you have to pick what is most important at a given time. The legendary monster system finally makes for truly epic "boss" fights. It's good stuff.

interesting...in 3.5 20 orcs in one round with great cleave feat. can't remember if i finally missed or ran out of orcs to kill though.

Sort of.

Let's say I am the game master or dungeon master or story teller. I create the plot like any movie or novel. I also control every non player character you interact with- the local sheriff, the bar tender, the monsters you fight.

You create a character by using the handbook. That is it's main job. It allows you to design what you want to play. Your race, your class, you physical and mental attributes, you weapons and gear, your talents and skills, your knowledge and information. The book gives you the rules and the numbers for all those things, but you create the character and his or her personality and morals.

For every action you attempt, the game master or GM, assigns a target number you have to roll on the dice in order to succeed at that action. For example if you want to smack a bitch up and I say to hit her you need to get a 14 on a 20 sided die. You roll a 10, but your character is +5 for hitting bitched so you rolled a 15 total and have succeeded.

The gm can create the plot and the world from scratch and his own imagination or he can use a premade story to help him.

Great stuff man thanks. I'd like to try it some time, depending on the game master I can see some really fun times.

It's out? Man, I haven't been paying any attention to this release at all. Our group hated 4E and I haven't been able to get in any sort of regular game for quite a while so this new edition wasn't even on my radar. I'll have to check out some reviews, see if it's worth giving a shot.

Can someone explain how the game actually works? All's I've seen of it is it being featured in episodes of Community and The Big Bang Theory.

Tabletop RPGs are, at their very core, make-believe fun-time like you did when you were a kid, except it gives a sort of boardgame-like framework to adjudicate the "I shot you, you're dead!" "Nuh-uh, you missed and I shot you!" arguments. Most systems have one person who acts as referee and comes up with the plotlines (Game Master/Dungeon Master/Storyteller, whatever the system wants to call it) and the rest of the group works together to complete whatever it is that's going on (bring down the evil corporation, rescue the princes, find the magical doohicky, etc).

It's a form of collective storytelling with rules to determine success or failure. It can be as serious or silly as you like and in any setting from cyberpunk to high fantasy. It's very open ended and gives you a freedom of choice and action that you can never get in even the most detailed video games.

For normal adult players who are regular people and not a bunch of overweight, unwashed, socially maladjusted, aspy, fuckwits it's a ton of fun and a great excuse to hangout and drink a few beers over the course of an afternoon/evening.

I've only played pen & paper D&D once. I'm not sure if my experience was normal, or if the DM just wasn't sure what he was doing. If it's normal, I'm done with that mess. We were a 6 man party, well mixed with range, spell casters, and melee classes. I was playing a ranger I believe. We started at level 4 or 5 I think. We got through about 4 rooms of our our adventure, and got mobbed by 24 kobolds. The kobolds were level 1. This one fight took over 3 hours. Every single roll turned up miss for all of our melee. They never landed a blow in the entire fight. My character seemed to hit about 2% of the time. It took 6 or 7 hits for each kobold to die because our damage wasn't that great. It turned out, our cleric had picked up an item in the previous room that would have killed all the kobolds with one action, however the DM didn't set it up as important, he just said it was a potion bottle with a glow.

If that's normal, no thanks. I don't mind taking turns and throwing dice, but when the whole fight was poorly set up to be a poorly implemented gimmick, I don't really care to entertain that. If he had said about halfway through the fight that the bottle was quivering ominously or something, we might have known.

That's not normal. Your DM sucked donkeyballs.

Last edited:
Tabletop RPGs are, at their very core, make-believe fun-time like you did when you were a kid, except it gives a sort of boardgame-like framework to adjudicate the "I shot you, you're dead!" "Nuh-uh, you missed and I shot you!" arguments. Most systems have one person who acts as referee and comes up with the plotlines (Game Master/Dungeon Master/Storyteller, whatever the system wants to call it).

It's a form of collective storytelling with rules to determine success or failure. It can be as serious or silly as you like and in any setting from cyberpunk to high fantasy. It's very open ended and gives you a freedom of choice and action that you can never get in even the most detailed video games.

For normal adult players who are regular people and not a bunch of overweight, unwashed, socially maladjusted, aspy, fuckwits it's a ton of fun and a great excuse to hangout and drink a few beers over the course of an afternoon/evening.

I've been playing with the same core group of friends for over 15 years. We get together once a week and play. Of course we chill and drink and just hang out like any other get together but in a more structured way. These are my close friends and the majority of us are married with kids and it's not uncommon for the wives to join in, we even let the kids play in a more kid friendly environment.

When I was the military, gaming was very strong. With just one rule boon some Dice or a dice rolling app, and paper, we can keep ourselves entertained regardless of where we are at.

Yes gaming gets a bad rep as the social misfits ruin things, but those people can be found in any hobby and group. If you can find a cool group it's a total blast to hang out and pass the time. It also helps those creative types who love to imagine stories but are too lazy to actually write thier own novel or screen play.

2nd edition is the GOAT of DnD engines, imo.

Errybody in this thread should give AGOT's tabletop a go though, it's pretty great.

i wish someone on here would set up a campaign for us. lol. hell it could be done over skype.

I really enjoy war hammer fantasy or the 40k dark heresey systems.

3016170677-2b8edc0650-z.jpg

omg, this dude has some serious teeth marks in his pillow.

"It speaks to the feeling I get that there’s a growing trend in gaming communities to be less bombastic, less homophobic, less chauvinistic, and more socially aware. Coming from a game that used to give statistical penalties for playing as a female character, the game is now asking the players to think critically about things like gender."

get the fuck out of here with this shit.

I never even heard anything about gays one way or the other and fairies had some special abilities.

now i see that this 5th edition is just more crap for sissies like this writer.
females got a strength penalty because they are WOMEN, blame nature

thinking critically about playing a gender??? "yeah, i am a female black elf and i look like grace jones from conan and i am gonna milk shake the hobgoblins over there and distract them so you can sneak up behind them and give them a good rogering"

I played back when it was TSR and there were only 1 edtion rules and we liked it. the churchy people would try to say we are worshiping the devil and made that Mazes and Monsters propaganda film with tom hanks. that made us only want to play it more.

now some hipster fruit baskets want to criticize what we were doing when we were playing this shit for real when it took a brain to DM????

I want to be a dark elf/mage/fighter/cleric with bladed weapons oh and i have psionics and 3 boobs and both sets of genitalia and i fart a rainbow and my twin freduaredo farts a rainbow and together we have double rainbows"

well, fuck that

Now i am reminded of how Michael Bay has repeatedly raped my childhood.

oh and this shit
"the only players we see depicted are cool, young professionals—a multi-gendered, multi-ethnic blend of gamers who look more at home on Comedy Bang! Bang! than The Big Bang Theory. D&D may not have any new awesomely corny commercials coming anytime soon, but the game seems now to be pitched to sympathetic (and much cooler) ears."

yeah, you think that Generation Douche you are advertising to is "cooler" than we were?

keep saying it enough times and maybe you will believe it. you took the assholes from a Beneton commercial and gave them some 20-side dice and think that means shit?
sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Growing up I sadly didn't know anyone who played. Love d&d lore though and the Baldur's Gate and Icewind dale rpgs were some of the best computer games of all time.

Highly recommend them to anyone that's ever thought the pen and paper games sounded fun but has no friends.

Hope this new edition is good, last one they put out looked crappy.

Last edited:
Finding players is easy. Finding players who know how to shower and apply toiletries consistently and properly can be a challenge. I'm very lucky to have the group I do.

You are lucky, I've been having that problem in the last few years. I miss the game but there's only a certain level of social awkwardness I can handle.

You are lucky, I've been having that problem in the last few years. I miss the game but there's only a certain level of social awkwardness I can handle.

You don't know the half of it. Not only is this the biggest group i've ever played with... but none of us are outwardly "geeky," and we have two girls (who, contrary to stereotypes, made a beeline for damage dealing characters). I might be in the Matrix.

Back