Dungeons and Dragons v5 Just released.

huskylord

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Apparently the new Players Handbook is $29 from Amazon (regular $50).
Reviews says it's streamlined and easier for people to get on board.

portraitp1.jpg

And in case you need to know, Dungeons and Dragons is officially cool again:

http://www.vice.com/read/dungeons-dragons-is-officially-cool-again-115

Nostalgia, here I come!

3016170677-2b8edc0650-z.jpg

Man, I am 15 again.
So much of my youth spent playing that game.

Got my PHB yesterday. The warlock class looks cool.

I've been playing in the Encounters sessions for a while and I like 5E a lot.

I have a copy of the very first edition of D&D. haven't played for years.

Never played... I was afraid of becoming this guy...

tumblr_kxxqnr99eh1qb6180o1_500.jpg

If Josh Barnett has a sneaky sherdog account, he will be in this thread

havent played since 3e. whats changed since?

oh an warhammer:rpg > 3.5 +4e

Been playing since the early portion of the open playtest. There are a couple of things that aren't perfect, but it's easily the best version of D&D so far, and is just a great game overall.

Love me the new Bard.

Been playing since the early portion of the open playtest. There are a couple of things that aren't perfect, but it's easily the best version of D&D so far, and is just a great game overall.

Love me the new Bard.

Is it a stripped down 3.5?

I always wanted to get into pen and paper RPGs, but it seems like the "weird nerd" stereotype is more accurate there than most other situations. I like geeky shit as much as the next guy, but it I just can't click with a lot of those people. Same thing made me lose interest in Magic: TG.

Is it a stripped down 3.5?

I wouldn't classify it as strictly like any of the previous versions, though it borrows heavily from 2nd and 3rd, and sprinkles in some 1rst and 4th. Feats are there, less common but much more powerful. The core classes line up pretty well with 3rd edition, but the subclasses differentiate the core classes similar to kits from 2nd or the bajillion classes of 4th. Bounded accuracy and a strict action economy means you never outscale enemies the way you did in 3rd, so a high level fighter going up against 20 orcs is going to get Boromir'd (which I think is awesome). The concentration mechanic means that you can't just stack layers of buffs and debuffs and laugh at the enemies trying to kill you... you have to pick what is most important at a given time. The legendary monster system finally makes for truly epic "boss" fights. It's good stuff.

I always wanted to get into pen and paper RPGs, but it seems like the "weird nerd" stereotype is more accurate there than most other situations. I like geeky shit as much as the next guy, but it I just can't click with a lot of those people. Same thing made me lose interest in Magic: TG.

Finding players is easy. Finding players who know how to shower and apply toiletries consistently and properly can be a challenge. I'm very lucky to have the group I do.

Can someone explain how the game actually works? All's I've seen of it is it being featured in episodes of Community and The Big Bang Theory.

Can someone explain how the game actually works? All's I've seen of it is it being featured in episodes of Community and The Big Bang Theory.

It's a lot like sitting around listening to a friend tell a story. The difference is you are an active character in the story, not just a passive listener.

Been playing the free starter kit and the premade campaign for about a month. My gaming group is almost done and then we will move on to the PHB. I'm a 4ed hater, we moved to pathfinder instead but 5th edition is bringing us back. Some stuff I wish was more crunchy but on the whole, it's a great game.

Back