Don't tell people to kill themselves

Sounds like console peasantry.

Can't the "chat" be shut off when online gaming? When we were 12 or 13 and had almost no life experience, we said things with no understanding of their potential consequences. We didn't view others the way we do once we grow up, couple that with the anonymity of playing online and the perceived "soapbox" that comes with online interaction with a few players at a time and know that it will never stop.

Individuals are ultimately responsible for themselves. Don't kill yourself...

Your complete lack of understanding of the technicalities of that case make me think you should probably kill yourself.
One half of me is thinking that you are wrong to say that, but the other half is laughing. The half of me that is laughing represents my current physical status which is in a state of amusement Vs my mind begging me to stop.

TL;DR: - You are the devil on my shoulder.

I actually laughed it this as well because it's so obviously absurd and therefore satire, but that's not what I'm talking about. Again I don't want to police anyone's language, I just think that we collectively as gamers and people should take a bit more accountability of our actions and the things we say when shit-talking. A lot of good posts before mine have already pointed out a lot of the problems with MP gaming and chat; the zero-consequence atmosphere that anonymity brings; or the likelihood that a lot of people lashing out like this are probably the same people I'm trying to protect in this scenario -- weak-minded fragile teenagers. And I agree with whoever said that the best defense against this is just educating ourselves or our kids about toxic people in online environments. The fact that we're having this conversation, even in this hive of scum and villainy we know and love called Sherdog, helps.

Also, I am admittedly not a lawyer, but I have a decent understanding of the case I was referencing:
https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...le-carters-sentencing-in-texting-suicide-case
https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...lle-carter-suicide-by-text-manslaughter-trial

TL;DR: Basically the dude told his GF he was going to kill himself, she supported him, he started to back out, she encouraged him further, he killed himself, she was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and will now serve 15 months in prison.

I'm not saying it's completely analogous; obviously this Carter chick played a much more active role in helping her boyfriend kill himself. All I'm saying is if you tell someone to kill themselves, and they do, there is precedent for you to be held legally liable, whatever that may turn out to be. Please, if there are any attorneys here fill in more of the technicalities, lest Capo Lunatico should find my synopsis unsuitable and tell me to kill myself again.

Online games are a hazardous wasteland of online anonymity where human decency or a shred of empathy will not be found. The river of salt tears will always flow followed by endless N bombs and suicide recommendations. Sherdog is the last place to plead your case about this as well.

I get called the 'N' word a lot.

Never got told to kill myself but did get called a ninja like 3 times this weekend on GTA O. Some jet griefers I pushed their shit in and got the lobby to kick him and his butt buddy and they got salty AF about it.

Worst I've had said/typed to me was that some kid said he banged my daughter (after I asked him to please be respectful when he was bad mouthing everyone he could). I simply told him my daughter was as nonexistent as his sex life.

I actually laughed it this as well because it's so obviously absurd and therefore satire, but that's not what I'm talking about. Again I don't want to police anyone's language, I just think that we collectively as gamers and people should take a bit more accountability of our actions and the things we say when shit-talking. A lot of good posts before mine have already pointed out a lot of the problems with MP gaming and chat; the zero-consequence atmosphere that anonymity brings; or the likelihood that a lot of people lashing out like this are probably the same people I'm trying to protect in this scenario -- weak-minded fragile teenagers. And I agree with whoever said that the best defense against this is just educating ourselves or our kids about toxic people in online environments. The fact that we're having this conversation, even in this hive of scum and villainy we know and love called Sherdog, helps.

Also, I am admittedly not a lawyer, but I have a decent understanding of the case I was referencing:
https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...le-carters-sentencing-in-texting-suicide-case
https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...lle-carter-suicide-by-text-manslaughter-trial

TL;DR: Basically the dude told his GF he was going to kill himself, she supported him, he started to back out, she encouraged him further, he killed himself, she was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and will now serve 15 months in prison.

I'm not saying it's completely analogous; obviously this Carter chick played a much more active role in helping her boyfriend kill himself. All I'm saying is if you tell someone to kill themselves, and they do, there is precedent for you to be held legally liable, whatever that may turn out to be. Please, if there are any attorneys here fill in more of the technicalities, lest Capo Lunatico should find my synopsis unsuitable and tell me to kill myself again.
That's not the same thing at all. She was talking him into suicide, not slinging a tongue and cheek insult at him.

Like someone else said, if you're that close to doing it that an online gamer is the last straw, then you're a powder keg and something is going to cause it

That's not the same thing at all. She was talking him into suicide, not slinging a tongue and cheek insult at him.

Like someone else said, if you're that close to doing it that an online gamer is the last straw, then you're a powder keg and something is going to cause it

I agree but but it grates on people. Tongue in cheek or not, “kill yourself” is ridiculous language. People who sit there in the comfort of their home talking shit they’d never say in real life is sad. And I’d never report it or anything but even if that’s enough to send someone over the edge I’d rather not say it because it’s still toxic and unnecesary and makes you look like a twelve year old.

Can't the "chat" be shut off when online gaming? When we were 12 or 13 and had almost no life experience, we said things with no understanding of their potential consequences. We didn't view others the way we do once we grow up, couple that with the anonymity of playing online and the perceived "soapbox" that comes with online interaction with a few players at a time and know that it will never stop.

Individuals are ultimately responsible for themselves. Don't kill yourself...

Yeah but you gotta admit, if the N64 was online people wouldn’t be saying that shit to each other.

Nowadays kids see stuff on the internet and think “KYS” or whatever is cool but it’s actually really gay.

Telling someone to kill themselves is not friendly banter in any way. It’s a sign of someone who has no self control.

But but but now suddenly words mean something because....Feelings.

Here is a hot tip: Don't ever try and control anything other than yourself.

I agree but but it grates on people. Tongue in cheek or not, “kill yourself” is ridiculous language. People who sit there in the comfort of their home talking shit they’d never say in real life is sad. And I’d never report it or anything but even if that’s enough to send someone over the edge I’d rather not say it because it’s still toxic and unnecesary and makes you look like a twelve year old.
Well yeah sure I prefer more creative insults myself. I'd probably make fun of someone for using such a canned response. I guess really the sentiment I am trying to convey though, that it's really not an issue. Not IMO anyways

I'm not saying it's the same thing all I'm saying is there is now legal precedent for being prosecuted if you aid in any way someone committing suicide.
But but but now suddenly words mean something because....Feelings.

Here is a hot tip: Don't ever try and control anything other than yourself.
Exactly, again I'm not trying to police anyones' language from above, but rather draw attention to the fact that words are consequential and, since we do have control over our own actions as you pointed out, it's within our ability to refrain from telling people to kill themselves in the off chance that they actually might.

Ultimately whether or not someone is mentally weak to the point where some rando on the internet tells them to kill themselves and that's the trigger that sets them off is on them -- we're all responsible for our own actions, especially the person who decides to kill themselves. But we have the agency to not be a douche bag and be that last straw that breaks the metaphorical camel's back.

I'm not saying it's the same thing all I'm saying is there is now legal precedent for being prosecuted if you aid in any way someone committing suicide.

Exactly, again I'm not trying to police anyones' language from above, but rather draw attention to the fact that words are consequential and, since we do have control over our own actions as you pointed out, it's within our ability to refrain from telling people to kill themselves in the off chance that they actually might.

Ultimately whether or not someone is mentally weak to the point where some rando on the internet tells them to kill themselves and that's the trigger that sets them off is on them -- we're all responsible for our own actions, especially the person who decides to kill themselves. But we have the agency to not be a douche bag and be that last straw that breaks the metaphorical camel's back.
And I'm saying you're wrong and no ones going to get in legal trouble for saying it to a stranger on Gears of War

And I'm saying you're wrong and no ones going to get in legal trouble for saying it to a stranger on Gears of War
giphy.gif

In all seriousness, though, you're well within your rights to think I'm wrong, but there is now legal precedent, which is very important. Would it hold up in court if someone said go kill yourself and the other person did? I don't know, I'm not a lawyer, and unless you are and can clearly explain to me why you think I'm wrong, then we should agree to disagree and move on.

I use to play Xbox Live back in 2002, when it was on Beta....It was the first time I ever had a mic(I PC gamed too but never had a mic at the time)...Anyways I think for most of the beta testers, it was there first time that they had mics.

I was like 11-12 during that time....and I had an accent, I still do but it was more noticeable back then.

They always use to tease me about my damn accent. These were older guys, Im guessing they were around 16 years old, maybe even older. Most just made fun of the fact I was Mexican, a good chunk of people thought I was Canadian for some reason, and made fun of me for that as well. As a kid, that can really fuck you up, Im serious, it sucked eachtime I spoke because I had someone ask me "where you from?", and they just insisted.....I knew if I told em Im Mexican, they would make fun of me.

Anyways, yeah if you tell somebody to kill themselves, I can see a depress kid taking it way too seriously...So I understand your point of view OP.

People call me N on a constant basis due to my voice. And told to Kill myself. I'm all like...
NippyDeepAmazontreeboa-max-1mb.gif

Online games are a hazardous wasteland of online anonymity where human decency or a shred of empathy will not be found. The river of salt tears will always flow followed by endless N bombs and suicide recommendations. Sherdog is the last place to plead your case about this as well.

And “I fucked your mom” bombs which I find funny because I fire back with the you sick little necrophiliac

Sounds like something I would have told someone to do when I was like 19, which, 10 years later you gain some perspective.

It's normal behavior for a kid in his late teens, early 20's. Then you mature a bit once you are in your late 20's.

Back