Don't tell people to kill themselves

The best part of online gaming to me is talking shit. Idk how many times people have told me to kill myself, I'll usually just laugh and respond with something usually like "should I do it how I'm killing you in this game right now? Any suggestions fgt?" That seems to rattle people to the point of wanting to kill themselves right after telling me to do so. Lol

Howdy, my fellow Sherdoggers. Just wanted to get something off my chest tonight.

I've been gaming since the 90's, been playing playing multiplayer games since the mid 2000's (I'm in my late twenties if you must know). I've noticed a trend as of late -- I should say as of late loosely since it's been the last several years, maybe decade. But this trend is of increasing vitriol and just general meanness in multiplayer games. Now I'm not talking about shit-talking or trolling or even just being an asshole (go fuck yourself, you suck, eat shit noob, etc), I'm talking about personal attacks directing a person to go kill themselves, and it's getting out of hand.

I'm a grown ass man with a family and a good life, so saying that shit to me means nothing -- I mean obviously it bothers me, thus this post -- but imagine if I was a young teenager who was going through some shit? Imagine if I had clinical depression and today was just a bad day at the end of a long string of bad days? What if someone telling me to go kill myself was the last straw and I did it?

I hate the "do it for the children" argument that is too often the basis of weak arguments, and I'm a free-speech absolutist. I love me some good shit-talking, and the last thing I want are gaming companies over policing their forums or chats and killing their community. But telling someone to go kill themselves is not free speech, it's akin to yelling "fire" in a movie theater. Yes we should all be mentally strong enough to brush off someone saying "KYS" and just move on, but should be is not necessarily reality, and I don't want some 14-year old floundering on the edge of depression slitting their wrists because some jackass in a video game told them they sucked and should go kill themselves.

In Massachusetts there was a case recently of a girl who told her boyfriend to go kill himself and he did, and now she's going to prison, so there is now precedent for legal action against people who tell others to kill themselves and they go ahead and do it.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you have the urge to flame someone, just be a regular asshole about it. Tell them they suck, tell them to uninstall, whatever, but don't tell them to kill themselves, that's playing with fire, because if they DO kill themselves, they're dead, and you're now guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

That is all.

TL;DR: Don't tell someone to kill themself, it's like shouting "fire" in a theater, and you could be criminally liable if they commit suicide.

And in b4 "go kill yourself"
buy ''comedy nights'' on steam you will see what a fucked up game community rly is

The racial slurs are the most confusing. These young kids would definitely not have the balls to say any of this shit to people to their face. Along with the gays slurs. But honestly, I've heard groups of tweens say dumb shit when they're together in public, but as soon as an adult is nearby they start whispering.

Regardless, this is why if I do MP online, I only do it with people I know, I can't fucking tolerate these ingrates. Even if I have to play in public lobbies.. the mute button is my friend.

Cyberbullying+isnt+real_a28a02_5870611.jpg

i haven't used a mic online in about 12 years,still doesn't stop me getting negative feed back for foul and abusive language though.

I've mostly stopped online gaming because of this

I'm actually a pretty calm guy, but getting home after work and trying to relax just to get insulted by some dumbass kid hiding behind his computer screen, it makes me furious. I honestly cant take it. One time I was angry for like another 30 minutes after I finished playing.

decided its not worth the stress and went back to singleplayer games. a lot more relaxing and you get to enjoy tons different great games instead of putting hundreds of hours into one online game.

If you tell someone to kill themselves for any reason at all, you're a fucking douchebag and need a reality check.

Pretty much the opposite is true. Online gaming in the early 2000s was extremely vitriolic and it's getting pussified lately, and I hate it. I can't even say a single negative thing on league when my team is sucking dick without some 13 year old snowflake calling me toxic and getting reported

He is essentually the stereotypical dipshit 14 year old Call of Duty fan set to a soundtrack. "Lol ain't no thing as racism, it's only words and feeling."

From Steve Albini
Writing in the online forum of his Chicagostudio Electrical Audio, the producer wrote:

I spent about 40 minutes with these little pricks at the end of May and I haven’t wanted to strangle anybody that much in a real long time. My band shared an airport shuttle with them in Barcelona. They piled onto the shuttle late, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ing everything in sight, motherfucking the driver, boasting into the air unbidden about getting their dicks sucked and calling everyone in the area a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. A female passenger tried to engage one of them in conversation, but he just stared at her with a dead-to-me stare while his seatmate flipped double birds in her face.

I once got a PSN msg from a Japanese player almost immediately after I entered the room saying "die" in Japanese. He must have sent that a lot to have it in his autofill to send that so quickly. Must have been an extreme loser to send that especially since he doesn't know me and I don't recall crossing paths with him before.

If you tell someone to kill themselves for any reason at all, you're a fucking douchebag and need a reality check.
This happens a bit too often in Sherdog by losers who have hissyfits over the slightest posts. Must be crackhead babies who will support themselves by stealing their elderly mom's Social Security checks.

Unfortunately, I don't think this will ever stop completely; but as the average age of people who play games continues to increase maybe it will peter out.

It's just the type of thing that younger gamers are always going to say. It's like calling a team comp in Overwatch cancer. Being ridiculous and offensive, perhaps especially in a way that barely makes sense, is always going to appeal to an adolescent sense of humor. Telling someone to kill himself over being bad, or maybe too good, at a video game fits that bill all too well.

Reminds me of the music I listened to growing up....

But but but now suddenly words mean something because....Feelings.

Here is a hot tip: Don't ever try and control anything other than yourself.
#endfuckingthread

go kill yourself ts

Pretty much the opposite is true. Online gaming in the early 2000s was extremely vitriolic and it's getting pussified lately, and I hate it. I can't even say a single negative thing on league when my team is sucking dick without some 13 year old snowflake calling me toxic and getting reported
Grown men and women need coddling now more than ever. It’s funny and sad.

Last edited:
Mom mom taught me, "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

She probably also taught you to treat others the way you'd like to be treated.

Been called everything, heck I've been 'cursed' via messages (black magic/voodoo/etc). But once you switch off the TV, it all goes away...

Back