Don't tell people to kill themselves

AngryPorto

The Guy Next to Cabbot
@purple
Reaction score
Howdy, my fellow Sherdoggers. Just wanted to get something off my chest tonight.

I've been gaming since the 90's, been playing playing multiplayer games since the mid 2000's (I'm in my late twenties if you must know). I've noticed a trend as of late -- I should say as of late loosely since it's been the last several years, maybe decade. But this trend is of increasing vitriol and just general meanness in multiplayer games. Now I'm not talking about shit-talking or trolling or even just being an asshole (go fuck yourself, you suck, eat shit noob, etc), I'm talking about personal attacks directing a person to go kill themselves, and it's getting out of hand.

I'm a grown ass man with a family and a good life, so saying that shit to me means nothing -- I mean obviously it bothers me, thus this post -- but imagine if I was a young teenager who was going through some shit? Imagine if I had clinical depression and today was just a bad day at the end of a long string of bad days? What if someone telling me to go kill myself was the last straw and I did it?

I hate the "do it for the children" argument that is too often the basis of weak arguments, and I'm a free-speech absolutist. I love me some good shit-talking, and the last thing I want are gaming companies over policing their forums or chats and killing their community. But telling someone to go kill themselves is not free speech, it's akin to yelling "fire" in a movie theater. Yes we should all be mentally strong enough to brush off someone saying "KYS" and just move on, but should be is not necessarily reality, and I don't want some 14-year old floundering on the edge of depression slitting their wrists because some jackass in a video game told them they sucked and should go kill themselves.

In Massachusetts there was a case recently of a girl who told her boyfriend to go kill himself and he did, and now she's going to prison, so there is now precedent for legal action against people who tell others to kill themselves and they go ahead and do it.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you have the urge to flame someone, just be a regular asshole about it. Tell them they suck, tell them to uninstall, whatever, but don't tell them to kill themselves, that's playing with fire, because if they DO kill themselves, they're dead, and you're now guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

That is all.

TL;DR: Don't tell someone to kill themself, it's like shouting "fire" in a theater, and you could be criminally liable if they commit suicide.

And in b4 "go kill yourself"

In a video game context, you are already walking a thin fucking tightrope of sanity if some kid playing halo pushes you into oblivion

I have watched grown men glassed in bars on petty beefs bleed out before first responders arrive

The real world prejudices and "free speech" exercises are enough of a legitimate physical threat to safety to relegate digital communications to a necessary bolstering of character

I have far less respect for protecting individuals from suicide than I do for protecting individuals from homicide

Last edited:
Online games are a hazardous wasteland of online anonymity where human decency or a shred of empathy will not be found. The river of salt tears will always flow followed by endless N bombs and suicide recommendations. Sherdog is the last place to plead your case about this as well.

I dont want to sound unsympathetic but ffs grow a set will ya..

I get called the 'N' word a lot.

Whatevs. Everyone’s a little badass online and in the security of their own home. There’s a mute button for those special people.

I get called the 'N' word a lot.
jacksfilms-jacksfilms-doesnt-matter-if-youre-gay-straight-black-white-27566573.png

Which are the worst games for this? I don't do a lot of MP.

Although I'd never say that to a person IRL, I've been guilty of posting it a few times, and I regret doing so.
Good thread

Getting all the angry, emotional anons to stop saying stupid things isn't really feasible. I think the best thing is to make sure your kids are aware and prepared for toxic individuals when playing online and pay attention to how the interactions could be affecting them. If your kids truly understand the reason people say and message these things then they will see it more as funny and sad than hurtful.

Which are the worst games for this? I don't do a lot of MP.
Neither do I, but I read an article recently with a lead developer of Overwatch which said they actually can't get content out as fast as they want because they're spending so much time trying to make the community less toxic.

For instance, the had to develop a report function for consoles instead of working on new content because the player base is such shit.

Neither do I, but I read an article recently with a lead developer of Overwatch which said they actually can't get content out as fast as they want because they're spending so much time trying to make the community less toxic.

For instance, the had to develop a report function for consoles instead of working on new content because the player base is such shit.
That's pretty messed up. I've heard a few streamers say they had to quit playing Overwatch competitively because of how toxic it was. Good natured shit talking can be funny but it sounds like some kids are taking it way too far.

TL;DR: Don't tell someone to kill themself, it's like shouting "fire" in a theater, and you could be criminally liable if they commit suicide.

Your complete lack of understanding of the technicalities of that case make me think you should probably kill yourself.

Your complete lack of understanding of the technicalities of that case make me think you should probably kill yourself.
One half of me is thinking that you are wrong to say that, but the other half is laughing. The half of me that is laughing represents my current physical status which is in a state of amusement Vs my mind begging me to stop.

TL;DR: - You are the devil on my shoulder.

Meh. You can yell fire in a crowded theater. Furthermore, if you do yell fire when there is an actual fire, you might cause undo panic.

If you use a Mic in a public gaming lobby then you are asking for it. Either private party with your squad or mute the room.

I'm a grown ass man with a family and a good life, so saying that shit to me means nothing -- I mean obviously it bothers me, thus this post -- but imagine if I was a young teenager who was going through some shit? Imagine if I had clinical depression and today was just a bad day at the end of a long string of bad days? What if someone telling me to go kill myself was the last straw and I did it?

It's mostly young teenagers going through shit and projecting on others who say shit like that in online gaming.

Back