Does Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson ll for the title shot make sense?

Yes, but at least Frankie has beat top contenders while during his FW career (Cub and Mendes) where as Cub has never beaten a top contender— and he's lost to Edgar and max, so I'm not sure how he deserves a title shot over Edgar.

To be honest, neither really deserve it, but Cub deserves it less than Edgar.

I don't disagree with Edgar getting a title shot. I would have liked to see Cub rematch Lamas, IMO that's a winnable top five fight for him. An Aldo rematch would be fun as well, now that it makes sense, but represents grimmer prospects for Swanson.

No. I have a ton of respect for Cub but he is coming off two wins from non ranked opponents in Choi and Lobov.

Frankie has a streak of beating top contenders. Frankie vs Max makes the most sense.
even though this is technically correct, I think Doo hoi Choi is a better fighter than Yair which is Frankies last win. Doo Hoi choi would have given Frankie way more problems than Yair just because he has some boxing skills.

Max vs Frankie is the fight most of us want.

even though this is technically correct, I think Doo hoi Choi is a better fighter than Yair which is Frankies last win. Doo Hoi choi would have given Frankie way more problems than Yair just because he has some boxing skills.
And that's how I see it too (that Choi is as good a win as Yair). But regardless, I'm not too stuck on this.

My preference is Swanson gets the next title shot, but Holloway/Edgar + Aldo/Swanson II on the same card is good too.

Cub has already lost to Edgar &Holloway.
and other top 5 guys like Lamas and Mendez.
Doesn't feel necessary to do a rematch.

Edgar has never faced Holloway and has beaten everyone except Aldo (and Bendo)
Frankie has had a lot of shots but one more doesn't hurt.

Frankie-Cub is only needed if Holloway is hurt and has to wait

Last edited:
And that's how I see it too (that Choi is as good a win as Yair). But regardless, I'm not too stuck on this.

My preference is Swanson gets the next title shot, but Holloway/Edgar + Aldo/Swanson II on the same card is good too.
I've been wanting to see Edgar/Holloway for years now, I want to see Frankie but I can see why Cub feels his win over Choi warrants it more.

I don't want to see cub anywhere near that title. He'd be a filler champ and someone just there keeping it warm. He's near the end of his career and he's very beatable.

Frankie's record at FW as a whole—not just current win streaks—is better than Cub's, which says a lot considering Frankie has been at FW for a considerably less amount of time. Cub has also already faced the champ and it wasn't very close. Cub was also embarrassed by Edgar, so giving him a title shot Over Edgar is a bit of a stretch.

You're missing the big picture. Frankie has already been awarded TWO featherweight title shots based on his record 'as a whole.'

So the only thing to discuss now is if he's earned a THIRD shot since getting his ass fantastically kicked just two fights ago by Aldo.

Yair has never fought a ranked opponent, and Stephens is a losing overall UFC record. Statistically Stephens is more likely to LOSE a UFC fight to any opponent, then win.

Cub was embarrassed by Edgar, and Edar was embarrassed by Aldo. Welcome to MMA. So when we index this, its 4 fight win streak vs 2, and a guy who has already had two failed attempts at the title, one of which was only a year ago.

Frankie isn't a one deminsuional fighter. Is there any proof that Choi would be able to keep up with Frankie's wrestling or grappling? Not to mention that Edgar is as tough as they come as well.

Frankie isn't a one deminsuional fighter. Is there any proof that Choi would be able to keep up with Frankie's wrestling or grappling? Not to mention that Edgar is as tough as they come as well.
What I'm saying is Chois boxing would be more difficult to deal with than Yairs kicking game that he's tentative to commit to because of his lack of wrestling.

Doesn't make sense to me seeing Frankie hasn't lost to anyone at featherweight but Josè Aldo, he also is the bigger name/higher ranked fighter, plus Edgar already stopped Cub in a fight and has yet to face Max Holloway. There's no need to stall the div with a rematch Frankie's the clear #1 contender hopefully he gets the shot at MSG in November.

Frankie Edgar's last 9 fights
Yair W
Stephens W
Aldo L
Mendes W
Faber W
Swanson W
Penn W
Oliviera W
Aldo L

Cub Swanson's last 9 fights
Lobov W
Ho Choi W
Kawjiri W
Dias W
Holloway L
Edgar L
Stephens W
Siver W
Poirier W

there is only one argument for not having Edgar v Max, and that's Edgar's high # of title shots.

but that's a spurious argument, because Edgar undoubtedly earned all but one; the first Aldo fight. and that was 4 years ago.

UFC having back-to-back-to-back rematches at LW in 2001-2012 was awful. but it's time to let that go, folks.

Edgar v Max is the most logical next title fight. which of course means it could be anyone.

Last edited:
You're missing the big picture. Frankie has already been awarded TWO featherweight title shots based on his record 'as a whole.'

So the only thing to discuss now is if he's earned a THIRD shot since getting his ass fantastically kicked just two fights ago by Aldo.

Yair has never fought a ranked opponent, and Stephens is a losing overall UFC record. Statistically Stephens is more likely to LOSE a UFC fight to any opponent, then win.

Cub was embarrassed by Edgar, and Edar was embarrassed by Aldo. Welcome to MMA. So when we index this, its 4 fight win streak vs 2, and a guy who has already had two failed attempts at the title, one of which was only a year ago.

His record as a whole changes each time because he keeps fighting and winning. Edgar losing to Aldo would hold more weight in your argument if Aldo was still champ, but he's not. Now it's cub who will have to go the extra mile to earn his rematch.

I wouldn't be too against it but I don't think it's all that necessary right now.

Edgar vs. Holloway is obviously happening.

Swanson makes no sense whatsoever,

Personally I think so. Yes the 1st fight was one sided, and yes Swanson got beat up badly by the current champ, but for some weird reason I think Frankie vs Cub ll makes sense for the number 1 contenders spot. I think for it to feel right for either guy to get a title shot, they would need to get at least 1 more, and if you look at the division they are literally the only two guys at the top who could make a case for being close to a title shot, with no other top guys coming off big wins that would make sense to match them up with to get them another win. I think Max probably sits out until the end of the year for 1 of the last few PPV's. I think that would leave a perfect opportunity to make Frankie vs Cub ll for like 215 or 216. It's a big fight to make, and the UFC could use all those they can get.

I know a lot will disagree with this, but I like this fight 3 rounds on a PPV for the winner facing Max at the end of the year

Thoughts??
Cub is shit beating up on unranked no bodies

Not a big fan of no #1 contender fights that take place 3 or 4 months after that champ last fought.

Personally I think so. Yes the 1st fight was one sided, and yes Swanson got beat up badly by the current champ, but for some weird reason I think Frankie vs Cub ll makes sense for the number 1 contenders spot. I think for it to feel right for either guy to get a title shot, they would need to get at least 1 more, and if you look at the division they are literally the only two guys at the top who could make a case for being close to a title shot, with no other top guys coming off big wins that would make sense to match them up with to get them another win. I think Max probably sits out until the end of the year for 1 of the last few PPV's. I think that would leave a perfect opportunity to make Frankie vs Cub ll for like 215 or 216. It's a big fight to make, and the UFC could use all those they can get.

I know a lot will disagree with this, but I like this fight 3 rounds on a PPV for the winner facing Max at the end of the year

Thoughts??
No.
Frankie beat Yair and Jeremy Stephens.
Frankie is the clear #1 contender, and he should fight Max next.

Cub should fight Lamas/Korean Zombie winner for the next shot. Or even Aldo, to see if Aldo rebounds.

His record as a whole changes each time because he keeps fighting and winning. Edgar losing to Aldo would hold more weight in your argument if Aldo was still champ, but he's not. Now it's cub who will have to go the extra mile to earn his rematch.

I think you make some fair points, no doubt... I'm just a little fried on Edgar getting title shots.

The cold hard truth is there isn't any true #1 contender in my mind, so there isn't anything 'wrong' with booking Edgar, I just don't find it imperative. The division is a little thin at the moment in the current landscape.

Cheers

Back