Does Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson ll for the title shot make sense?

SUBLIME FAN

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Personally I think so. Yes the 1st fight was one sided, and yes Swanson got beat up badly by the current champ, but for some weird reason I think Frankie vs Cub ll makes sense for the number 1 contenders spot. I think for it to feel right for either guy to get a title shot, they would need to get at least 1 more, and if you look at the division they are literally the only two guys at the top who could make a case for being close to a title shot, with no other top guys coming off big wins that would make sense to match them up with to get them another win. I think Max probably sits out until the end of the year for 1 of the last few PPV's. I think that would leave a perfect opportunity to make Frankie vs Cub ll for like 215 or 216. It's a big fight to make, and the UFC could use all those they can get.

I know a lot will disagree with this, but I like this fight 3 rounds on a PPV for the winner facing Max at the end of the year

Thoughts??

Max vs Edgar and Aldo vs Swanson 2 makes sense (n1 contender fight)

No. I have a ton of respect for Cub but he is coming off two wins from non ranked opponents in Choi and Lobov.

Frankie has a streak of beating top contenders. Frankie vs Max makes the most sense.

Frankie Edgar has won against everyone besides Aldo. Just give him his title shot directly.

I think it does. Opponents matter, but so do performances. Swanson has look great.

No. I have a ton of respect for Cub but he is coming off two wins from non ranked opponents in Choi and Lobov.

Frankie has a streak of beating top contenders. Frankie vs Max makes the most sense.
I really don't think wins over Yair and Stephens are that crazy better than Choi and Artem, plus he beat Kawajiri and Dias before that, I mean Cub is on a 4 fight win streak. And Edgar also lost a lost a title shot not even a year ago, and has lost every title shot he's gotten at the weight class, so I think that hurts Frankie's case for getting the shot right now as well

As fond of Cub as I am, there should be no question that Frankie deserves the next shot at Max. Cub would still only be 1 win away from fighting the winner anyway, regardless of an Aldo rematch, which may be 'better' for him personally; could potentially be his best chance at Jose.

Max vs Frankie is the fight to make.
Aldo vs Cub 2 would be fun.

No, Cub has no chance as in the first time.

Id like to see Cub get the title shot, Frankie gets winner.

Cub has been putting on a show, and it deserves to be rewarded imo

Unfortunately I see Frank beating Max. Then maybe Aldo-Swanson 2 for title shot.

LoL why watch Edgar murk this dude again?

Swanson has nothing for either. But give him a title shot because he's been around so long. Give him a last pay day and a change at Matt Serra like glory (upset).

I really don't think wins over Yair and Stephens are that crazy better than Choi and Artem, plus he beat Kawajiri and Dias before that, I mean Cub is on a 4 fight win streak. And Edgar also lost a lost a title shot not even a year ago, and has lost every title shot he's gotten at the weight class, so I think that hurts Frankie's case for getting the shot right now as well
Beating top 5 contenders grants a title shot over unranked opponents any day of the week. You sound crazy.

What's the difference between the Stephens cub destroyed every minute of the fight vs the Stephens Frankie had a competitive fight with? Stephens been the same since he was 21 years old

Beating top 5 contenders grants a title shot over unranked opponents any day of the week. You sound crazy.
Yair was hype. His record leading up to the fight with Edgar is no better than chois outside of a name that has no fight in him

Back