Does Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson ll for the title shot make sense?

I agree. I'd like to see Edgar vs Swanson 2 for the #1 contender position.

Choi was ranked 11th. That seems to have been a thankless task since he was a extremely tough opponent, but people aren't giving Cub credit for it. Cub also on a 4 fight win streak.
Frankie has won 7 of his last 8 fights and they have all been pretty much top contenders. His last two wins has been against top 5 opponents.

I give Cub his credit for beating a very tough and young Choi. However, beating the 11th ranked guy and a non ranked opponent in Lobov in his most recent fight would not grant him a title shot over Frankie imo who has beaten two top 5 guys recently.

Categorically incorrect? You been watching Luke thomas man? You're cherry picking your sources for what are arbitrary rankings

10154400.jpg

Also, I agree that yair and stephens' are mediocre wins, but Frankie embarrassed Cub and has a better career overall. It's a pretty easy choice for me.

Just so we get this straight, you're proposing USA Today is cherry picked, arbitrary rankings?

You know the UFC rankings literally move fighters around at will to suit the fights they book? Let's examine "#7" Stephens

Edgar - Loss (fight in question)
Barao - Win (unranked win)
Holloway - Loss
Bermudez - Win
Olivera - Loss
Swanson - Loss

Stephens literally lost 3 of his last 5 before fighting Edgar.

He's 12-13 in the UFC

Stephens isn't even a .500 fighter.

Against ANY UFC opponent, overall, Stephens is more likely to lose then win.

You aren't guranteed a title shot for beating Stephens and Yair, in particular if those are your only two wins in your current streak, and you've twice come up shot for the belt.

I don't know why people are obsessed with the idea of Edgar 'deserving' a title fight every third fight. It's ridiculous.

Frankie has won 7 of his last 8 fights and they have all been pretty much top contenders. His last two wins has been against top 5 opponents..

It is mental gymnastics to say Stephens and Yair are top 5 opponents.

It is mental gymnastics to say Stephens and Yair are top 5 opponents.
Put whatever label you want on it. Yair and Stephens were ranked as top 5 guys and Frankie ran threw them like it was nothing.

Put whatever label you want on it. Yair and Stephens were ranked as top 5 guys and Frankie ran threw them like it was nothing.

USA Today ranked Stephens at #12

The UFC ranked him at #7 - although that was an apropos of nothing ranking they gave him, as is customary when they book mismatches.

There is no version of reality where Stephens was top 5. He's 12-13 overall in the UFC, he has a losing records for Petes sake.

USA Today ranked Stephens at #12

The UFC ranked him at #7 - although that was an apropos of nothing ranking they gave him, as is customary when they book mismatches.

There is no version of reality where Stephens was top 5. He's 12-13 overall in the UFC, he has a losing records for Petes sake.
Stephens was ranked fifth when he fought Frankie. Yair was ranked in the top five when he was owned by Frankie. There's no going around it...Frankie showed why he was the top contender in the division by mauling Yair and Stephens. Cub getting two decision wins against two guys out of the top ten isn't more impressive than Frankie's finishes of guys inside the top ten.

Stephens was ranked fifth when he fought Frankie. Yair was ranked in the top five when he was owned by Frankie. There's no going around it...Frankie showed why he was the top contender in the division by mauling Yair and Stephens. Cub getting two decision wins against two guys out of the top ten isn't more impressive than Frankie's finishes.

Where was he ranked #5?

10154400.jpg

Frankie's finishes over two guys inside the top ten are more impressive than Cub's two wins of guys outside the top ten.

Four... Cub is on a four fight win streak.

But thats not the point. For me, Edgar got his ass kicked literally two fights ago by Aldo. That wasn't a competitive fight, Aldo legit beat the ever loving brakes of him. Wrecked him everywhere. Two fights against unheralded competition shouldn't bring you directly back to the title shot.

Frankie has won 7 of his last 8 fights and they have all been pretty much top contenders. His last two wins has been against top 5 opponents.

I give Cub his credit for beating a very tough and young Choi. However, beating the 11th ranked guy and a non ranked opponent in Lobov in his most recent fight would not grant him a title shot over Frankie imo who has beaten two top 5 guys recently.
Frankie already got a title shot for beating many of those 7 out of 8. That was only 11 months ago.

Right now it's just Frankie's Yair and Stephens vs. Cub's Choi, Diaz, Lobov, and Kawajiri.

Both are good options regardless, I just feel like on top of the resumes, Frankie lost his last 4 title shots in a row, so I think Cub deserves 1 chance before Frankie gets his 5th.

Four... Cub is on a four fight win streak.

But thats not the point. For me, Edgar got his ass kicked literally two fights ago by Aldo. That wasn't a competitive fight, Aldo legit beat the ever loving brakes of him. Wrecked him everywhere. Two fights against unheralded competition shouldn't bring you directly back to the title shot.
I know cub is on a four fight win streak but in comparison to Frankie's last two contender fights cubs weren't.

And you're correct. I can't take up for Edgar in those Aldo fights because Aldo clearly won both.

Frankie already got a title shot for beating many of those 7 out of 8. That was only 11 months ago.

Right now it's just Frankie's Yair and Stephens vs. Cub's Choi, Diaz, Lobov, and Kawajiri.

Both are good options regardless, I just feel like on top of the resumes, Frankie lost his last 4 title shots in a row, so I think Cub deserves 1 chance before Frankie gets his 5th.
I see what you mean. Cub vs Aldo 2 would be a great case for a title shot if he were to win. Beating Aldo would earn him a title shot without a doubt.

I see what you mean. Cub vs Aldo 2 would be a great case for a title shot if he were to win. Beating Aldo would earn him a title shot without a doubt.
Yeah I guess Cub vs. Aldo 2 would be fine. I mean that's as hard as a title eliminator as you can possibly get, but would be an interesting fight.

What the fuck are you on? none of those guys are contenders.
Yair Rodriguez clearly was a contender but Frankie showed that he was the better contender. You can't take away the credit of Frankie tooling him just because some think Yair's hype was unwarranted.

Just so we get this straight, you're proposing USA Today is cherry picked, arbitrary rankings?

No, I'm saying that all rankings are largely arbitrary and they differ based off different perspectives; I'm saying that you can cherry pick through rankings to find one that suits your narratives because, as I said, rankings are all subjective and arbitrary to a certain extent; and I'm saying that building your argument off of precarious rankings is bound to form an argument with a weak narrative

You know the UFC rankings literally move fighters around at will to suit the fights they book? Let's examine "#7" Stephens

Let's not, because again, I don't really care about the rankings that much, at least not enough to argue between whether or not someone should be ranked 7th or 12th.

Edgar - Loss (fight in question)
Barao - Win (unranked win)
Holloway - Loss
Bermudez - Win
Olivera - Loss
Swanson - Loss

Stephens literally lost 3 of his last 5 before fighting Edgar.

He's 12-13 in the UFC

Stephens isn't even a .500 fighter.

Against ANY UFC opponent, overall, Stephens is more likely to lose then win.

You aren't guranteed a title shot for beating Stephens and Yair, in particular if those are your only two wins in your current streak, and you've twice come up shot for the belt.

I don't know why people are obsessed with the idea of Edgar 'deserving' a title fight every third fight. It's ridiculous.

It's a good thing nothing in my argument hinged on the validity of Frankie's wins over Stephens and yair..... I don't think you're following me man, but it's been a long day, so maybe I'm explaining myself poorly.

Frankie's record at FW as a whole—not just current win streaks—is better than Cub's, which says a lot considering Frankie has been at FW for a considerably less amount of time. Cub has also already faced the champ and it wasn't very close. Cub was also embarrassed by Edgar, so giving him a title shot Over Edgar is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not sure if you genuinely think Cub deserves a title shot more than Edgar, or if you just don't think Edgar deserves a title shot period. I can see someone Arguing the second point, but I can't see how someone would think Cub deserves it more than Edgar—neither really deserve it to be honest, but cub deserves it even less than Edgar.

What the fuck are you on? none of those guys are contenders.

Yes, but at least Frankie has beat top contenders while during his FW career (Cub and Mendes) where as Cub has never beaten a top contender— and he's lost to Edgar and max, so I'm not sure how he deserves a title shot over Edgar.

To be honest, neither really deserve it, but Cub deserves it less than Edgar.

There are far more factors at play then just that when considering who gets a title shot, especially when the two men who are vying for the title shot have fought, and one (frankie) embarrassed the other(Cub); and addition to that, Cub has already lost to Max and Frankie hasn't. Historically, fighter's have always had to do a little extra to earn a rematch against a champ.

Back