Do you think any version of Melendez could have implemented Diaz's strategy against McGregor?

Melendez in his prime would fucking ragdoll McGregor.

Prime Gilbert and prime Thomson that battled for the Strikerorce LW title were the best lw's in the world at their time. They'd both beat the brakes off Conor in every aspect. Both were so well rounded. He'd get dragged into deep waters and submitted.
Totally agree

~DaViD~

Conor is not this great mystery puzzle to solve watch for his countering and drag him past two rds and lean your body on him if you get the chance. Conor as looked real good against favorable match-ups when out of his comfort zone he looks rather average in my eyez...

“Drag him past two rounds”

Lmao he’s been past 2 rounds only 3 times in his entire career. It’s not easy

Seemed very easy for Nate 2X as I said Conor loves them favorable match-ups.

I have no idea what Eddie was doing the one effective thing he did in the fight was kick Conor's leg out from under him and never did it again? Opting to over extend & over reach his punches and get easily fed by Conor.

I remember Eddie saying he hurt his foot or something after Conor checked one of his kicks.
Can't find the source sorry.

Sure when he gets primarily undersized strikers

I remember Eddie saying he hurt his foot or something after Conor checked one of his kicks.
Can't find the source sorry.

Meh maybe I blame it more of him having a brain cramp

It's not so much short term memory as most of them only started watching mma after 2014
I suspect it may have to do with missing Strikeforce as well. For Thomson and Melendez, their absolute peak was in Strikeforce; they were both on the downslide by the time the signed with the UFC. When they joined, they were both able to show flashes of their SF brilliance, Melendez's phenomenal fight with Benson, Thomson's highlight reel finish of Nate Diaz, but they weren't able to do it consistently.

I'm also not sure I'm on board with the idea that Nate Diaz was nothing more than a Homer type of punching bag int heir two fights. Both times, he was legit getting tagged the first 2 rounds but that's not the same thing as doing nothing but getting hit.

Also, when it comes to Diaz vs Melendez, is it possible to objectively say which one was the better fighter at their peak?

Neutralise Conor’s style? Wtf?

What does that mean? Diaz was the bigger man and could absorb more punishment than most. How many times did Conor drop Diaz? Most other fighters would’ve been sleeping on numerous occasions during both fights.

Conor has terrible cardio due to his hefty energy expending style. Diaz has incredible stamina. He certainly didn’t neutralise Conor’s offence, if anything he absorbed it. Lucky for him he’s got a great chin or he’d be just another victim.

Spot on PB. The blue print is there to beat him, boggles my mind how Eddie couldn't stick to the game plan.

McGregor is a 2 round fighter, after 2 rounds he quickly loses a good portion of his speed and explosiveness.
Yet dominated the 4th round vs Nate and won a 5 round decision over Nate (only the second fighter ever to do so)...but carry on you two. I already know you guys don't ever let facts get in the way

I have no idea what Eddie was doing the one effective thing he did in the fight was kick Conor's leg out from under him and never did it again? Opting to over extend & over reach his punches and get easily fed by Conor.

In Conor's loss to Mayweather he kept saying how composed Floyd was, he admires Floyd composure because he knows he's not a composed fighter he wants to get in and get out before he adrenaline dumps and is forced to actually to think through a fight.
You know nothing about fighting

How Conor was making Alvarez fight that way

How Conor was utilising all forms of distance deception to lure Alvarez and create his countering opportunities

How Conor was utilising fients/jabs/teep kicks to position Alvarez toward his left, pre-occupy, and open him up.

How Conor was dictating and controlling with his sophisticated lead hand radar/probing system

The reason why you can't "see" all the master level things Conor is doing and don't think highly of him, is because you have no idea what you are watching

The realist quote I ever read was this

"The UNeducated eye can NOT comprehend the brilliance of Conor"

Also it's funny how you would bring up Conor "admiring" Floyd

How much was Conor "admiring" Floyd here

converted.gif

You talk about Conor being "nothing special In your eyes"

Yet how many MMA fighters would have been able to out counter Floyd like that?

Or are you saying Floyd sucks for getting embarrassed by a 0-0 fighter who was "nothing special" in MMA.

Jon Jones with his garbage boxing wouldn't even last 20 seconds with lomg retired Vitali Klitschko in a boxing ring. Jones was out boxed by Gus in MMA lmao

Melendez isn't "stocky" in comparison to conor he's just as long, 73.5 inch wingspan @ 5"9.
Melendez best punch is actually his jab he throws his lead hand allot, check hooks jabs ect stuff that works against Conor's pawing style, he's not a wrestlers with a overhand, he beat Eddie Alvarez on the feet quite easily, Eddie just was able to hold him against the cage and take him down.
Prime Melendez could do the same thing Nate did but better

Conor THRIVES vs orthodox strikers, especially ones who rely on their lead hand/jab etc.

Conor loves to utilise lead hand control to shut down the jab hand and force right hand responses to counter

And if they don't bite, Conor will simply keep probing them to control range, time and snuff out any rushes, and occupy and distract for leads etc. Just continue to pick them apart from range

Conor will also play with rhythm and conditioning....touch touch then shoot the lead on the off beat...then when they expect 2 probes, Conor leads on the off beat between the 3rd probe/touch etc.

That's WHY Conor is so hard to read or figure out

Conor is always utilising differing patterns and broken timing to shut down and disrupt anyone trying to read him/time him/fient him out

It's a shame MMA fans don't really know what they are watching and cant appreciate the absolute high level Boby Fischer like genuis of Conor's striking

Conor THRIVES vs orthodox strikers, especially ones who rely on their lead hand/jab etc.

Conor loves to utilise lead hand control to shut down the jab hand and force right hand responses to counter

And if they don't bite, Conor will simply keep probing them to control range, time and snuff out any rushes, and occupy and distract for leads etc. Just continue to pick them apart from range

Conor will also play with rhythm and conditioning....touch touch then shoot the lead on the off beat...then when they expect 2 probes, Conor leads on the off beat between the 3rd probe/touch etc.

That's WHY Conor is so hard to read or figure out

Conor is always utilising differing patterns and broken timing to shut down and disrupt anyone trying to read him/time him/fient him out

It's a shame MMA fans don't really know what they are watching and cant appreciate the absolute high level Boby Fischer like genuis of Conor's striking
I know exactly what I'm not watching, Conors style is more suited to guys who lunge in and overextend with their right hand. It's not forced he's simply pawing the proper response to that is the check left hook especially against a southpaw watch the mayweather figjt, you basically saying Conor thrives against guys who get baited into throwing a right, not guys who actually utilize their lead hand.
Conor doesn't "thrive" against a style he rarely has seen.
Nate diaz is actually very comparable to Melendez, but Gilbert had better overall skills.

Who has Conor beat that uses allot of jabs?" Aldo in 13 secs after he lunged in?
melendez stays behind his jab and his CHECK hook (not a leaping hook) is actually the proper counter for Conor's left.
People get caught when they throw their rear hand at Conor is a statistically a fact you can look at the list of his wins.
Don't understand how you're claiming he otherwise, Melendez was far too durable and his cardio was too much he beats Conor in a very similar fashion to Diaz.

Last edited:
Nate has wayyyyyyy better hands. Nate also has a way better bottom game. Gilbert is just tough and can take it to the ground sometimes, with average striking at best.

If Gilbert were to fight McGregor he would have to take him down without a doubt. He stands literally no chance on the feet.
Does he though? There is definately an argument that gill in his day was a better striker than Nate. Nate was handily handily outstruck by their two common opponents while Gill clearly wasn’t (Benson and Josh)

You know nothing about fighting

How Conor was making Alvarez fight that way

How Conor was utilising all forms of distance deception to lure Alvarez and create his countering opportunities

How Conor was utilising fients/jabs/teep kicks to position Alvarez toward his left, pre-occupy, and open him up.

How Conor was dictating and controlling with his sophisticated lead hand radar/probing system

The reason why you can't "see" all the master level things Conor is doing and don't think highly of him, is because you have no idea what you are watching

The realist quote I ever read was this

"The UNeducated eye can NOT comprehend the brilliance of Conor"

Also it's funny how you would bring up Conor "admiring" Floyd

How much was Conor "admiring" Floyd here

converted.gif

You talk about Conor being "nothing special In your eyes"

Yet how many MMA fighters would have been able to out counter Floyd like that?

Or are you saying Floyd sucks for getting embarrassed by a 0-0 fighter who was "nothing special" in MMA.

Jon Jones with his garbage boxing wouldn't even last 20 seconds with lomg retired Vitali Klitschko in a boxing ring. Jones was out boxed by Gus in MMA lmao

I didn't even read your Conor knob gobbling sh!t post I've seen some of your so called prologic long winded posts to know you got no type of logic at all just Conor on your mind I don't deal with scrubs, there are far better and more logical Connie's I prefer to spar with than your scrub Connie rookie nut hugging ass.

if you can just place me on ignore that would be greatly appreciated please & thank you...

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Gil would brawl or slip up and get clocked

No. I don't think so. Melendez at his best may be a tough fight, but I think he leaves himself too open.

Diaz has length, which Conor is used to having over his opponents. Melendez doesn't.

While I would say Conor is the more technical striker than Diaz overall, Diaz does have a lot of comfort with his hands and has used them almost exclusively to beat quality fighters in the past. And no one has every questioned the diaz bros ability to put punches together. Technical fighters get sloppy when they get tired. Conor particularly gets sloppier with his defense when he's tired, and leaving yourself open and standing in front of a Diaz bro is a terrible place to be.

Diaz also has the threat of the takedown and at WW, his ability to get bigger than Conor kept that a reality. So, Conor had to be keep his mind focused on Diaz's boxing and realize Diaz might also try to drag him to the ground. And while Melendez and Diaz both have solid ground games, I'd certainly say Diaz is a far more submission savvy fighter.

When Melendez fought Pettis, he couldn't land clean whatsoever and ate counter shots every time he bum rushed. Pettis eventually rocked him with an overhand and choked him out afterwords. I feel like Melendez at any point leaves himself too open.

The question with Conor is always can X fighter drag him into deep water. But I don't think Melendez ever had the skills on the feet to force Conor to work overly hard there. I'd take Conor due to his counter game and length.

Back