Do you think any version of Melendez could have implemented Diaz's strategy against McGregor?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Looking at how Diaz was able to neutralize Conor's style in their first fight and much of their second, do you think in theory Melendez would have ever been able to? If not, what would have stopped it? It never seemed as though there was any sort of drastic chasm between the level of Diaz vs Melendez in terms of overall skill. Did Diaz simply have the right style at the time in order to shut down Conor's style? A difference in how well they could move and their reach? Or other factors?

Lacks height, reach and straight punching style.
But his wrestling would have a chance.

No, Melendez is too small. He would've been KO in the first or 2nd. Diaz was the bigger guy so he was able to absorb those shots. Look at Diaz's face afterwards. You think Melendez can survive that?

gettyimages-592625630jpg.jpg

5d47ae5157b9bd1394647d578d022aa6.jpg

Gil in his prime could have possibly used his wrestling control Conor.

Melendez and diaz are exactly nothing alike. Don't forget Diaz is a natural LHW

i highly doubt Gil can strike with McG, he might go for the wrestling route. besides, gil is a FW now while Nate is a LHW

I think it would have been the same as McGregor/Alvarez. McGregor vs Pettis in his prime would've been fun as hell though.

Nate has wayyyyyyy better hands. Nate also has a way better bottom game. Gilbert is just tough and can take it to the ground sometimes, with average striking at best.

If Gilbert were to fight McGregor he would have to take him down without a doubt. He stands literally no chance on the feet.

Conor is not this great mystery puzzle to solve watch for his countering and drag him past two rds and lean your body on him if you get the chance. Conor as looked real good against favorable match-ups when out of his comfort zone he looks rather average in my eyez...

Conor is not this great mystery puzzle to solve watch for his countering and drag him past two rds and lean your body on him if you get the chance. Conor as looked real good against favorable match-ups when out of his comfort zone he looks rather average in my eyez...
Exactly lmao, his weaknesses are known yet fighters fall for his mind games.

No, Melendez is too small. He would've been KO in the first or 2nd. Diaz was the bigger guy so he was able to absorb those shots. Look at Diaz's face afterwards. You think Melendez can survive that?

gettyimages-592625630jpg.jpg

5d47ae5157b9bd1394647d578d022aa6.jpg
You're dumb, look at the list of fighters Melendez has fought literally all killers especially in strike force, war with Josh thompson (who kod Diaz) Gilbert has NEVER been kod or tkod ever..

Too many kids have short term memory a prime strike force Melendez is a hell of a boxer and is a terrible fight for Conor due similar reasons Nate was tougness and cardio add in wrestling

Prime Gilbert and prime Thomson that battled for the Strikerorce LW title were the best lw's in the world at their time. They'd both beat the brakes off Conor in every aspect. Both were so well rounded. He'd get dragged into deep waters and submitted.

Nate has wayyyyyyy better hands.
Based on?
Looking at similar opponents Melendez did better than Diaz vs all of them on the feet.
You probably forgot about strike force Melendez you know the one who beat masvidal, Thompson ect..

Haven't seen a good ol' fashioned strikeforce circle jerk in a while.... carry on boys, and don't let reality stand in your way.

I'm not sure Nate actually neutralized Conor at any point, if you mean taking punches to the face until a guy is too tired to hit you hard anymore, then yes Nate really pulled a Homer Simpson there.. Tony Ferguson might be able to pull off a similar strategy, no on Gilbert Melendez imo I'm a huge fan of his but I just don't see it

Spot on PB. The blue print is there to beat him, boggles my mind how Eddie couldn't stick to the game plan.

McGregor is a 2 round fighter, after 2 rounds he quickly loses a good portion of his speed and explosiveness.

Haven't seen a good ol' fashioned strikeforce circle jerk in a while.... carry on boys, and don't let reality stand in your way.

Hey Casual, you realize a good portion of SF fighters became UFC champs or serious contenders?

You either need an iron chin or the ability to take him down immediately and keep him there to beat Conor.
That's it.
It's not his mind games.
It's that he's so good at what he does that it doesn't matter if his opponents know what he's gonna do, he still does it.
No one has been able to enter into his reach without getting tagged, no one.
His distance control,timing and precision shots shock his opponents and you can see it on their faces.

All ego must be discarded and immediately diving for a TD is the way to go.

Back