Do you remember/miss Unsolved Mysteries?

That's interesting. Kind of reminds me of the end of Breaking Bad. I'd say that one definitely has the least probability of being true though lol

Yeah, it doesn't seem likely at all, but the idea that there are even organizations like that out there is very interesting.

I remember reading somewhere that Renner felt like there was some evidence to suggest she was pregnant. I can't remember the details, but that's what he said and so basically his underground railroad theory went something like this: Maura Murray got pregnant by her boyfriend, who mistreated her. She didn't want him to know that she was pregnant, because she thought he would be an abusive father. So instead of allowing that possibility to play out, she fled with the help of one of these organizations.

The year was 1987. The network? NBC. The event? The premiere of Unsolved Mysteries, a TV show that would go on to attract viewers in the tens of millions.

It started off as a series of three specials called "Missing. . . Have you seen this person?" And from this initial series came what we would know as Unsolved Mysteries, hosted by the incomparable Robert Stack. Dealing with a wide variety of speculative topics, the show covered stories ranging everywhere from true crime cases and lost loves to alternative history and the paranormal.

A quick rundown of the show's broadcast history:

*1987-1997: the show airs on NBC but canceled in 1997 due to declining ratings after being moved from Wednesday nights to Friday nights in 1994

*1997-1999: CBS picks up the show for a few limited, six-episode seasons, airing at 9 PM

*2001-2002: Lifetime picks up the show, re-airing old episodes and sporadically producing new ones, airing the show between 11 AM and 3 PM

*2008-2010: Spike picks up the show and revamps it, with a new set, new logo and new host (Dennis Farina), but exclusively uses old cases for their episodes

*2010-Present: Lifetime begins re-airing the revamped Dennis Farina episodes

Personally, I haven't seen the show in years, but last night I remembered watching it as a kid with my grandmother. Those are good memories. I fucking LOVED Unsolved Mysteries. Now I think I'm going to go try to track down as much of the series as I can and re-live that experience.

So who else here remembers Unsolved Mysteries and has some good memories of watching it back in the day?

Dat logo:

unsolvedmysteries.jpg

unmys1.jpg

Dat Robert Stack:

4557030_l2.jpg

Dat intro:

Dudes voice gave me nightmares as a kid.

Interesting. So when she was found, was she just living a normal life? Like, did she have a job, was she living on her own, did she have relationships with the people around her?

BTW, since you tipped me off to the fact that Season 1 is free I watched the first episode last night. Weirdly though, the episodes do not match up with what's listed on Wikipedia.

It didn't say. It just said she was found. I tried to find some info on her but nothing came up. No news websites or anything.

I just got done watching an episode on season 5, about a teacher who was kidnapped and murdered back in 1992. Her name was Lisa Zigert. As with most cases that are unsolved, I normally google the story to see any other details of the story can be given. And I type in her name, sure enough, today... yes today! a suspect was named and arrested. I thought about going to Sitcomsonline.com and creating an account to break the news, I was way too late. Those dudes are really the Sherdog of UM.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/we-got...e-slaying-of-mass-teachers-aide-lisa-ziegert/

@shadow_priest_x

Hey Shadow, are you familiar with the Brad Bishop case? In 1976, he killed his family and his mother and then simply vanished. There have been sightings of him in Europe and he’s been on the FBI’s most wanted list. He’d be 81 years now. He spoke 5 languages, had a diplomatic passport at the time since he was working for the government. They say he simply snapped.

@shadow_priest_x

Hey Shadow, are you familiar with the Brad Bishop case? In 1976, he killed his family and his mother and then simply vanished. There have been sightings of him in Europe and he’s been on the FBI’s most wanted list. He’d be 81 years now. He spoke 5 languages, had a diplomatic passport at the time since he was working for the government. They say he simply snapped.

I can't say I remember that no one. Was it covered on UM?

I can't say I remember that no one. Was it covered on UM?

Yeah, one of the more famous cases ever profiled. AMW has done segments on it and has been covered throughout the media for over 40 years.

This is one guy who simply has avoided capture for nearly half a century. Highly intelligent, a Yale graduate and could fit in anywhere without a problem. Something tells me he was/is constantly on the
Move. He never got comfortable or he changed so much and he settled down somewhere.

Yeah, one of the more famous cases ever profiled. AMW has done segments on it and has been covered throughout the media for over 40 years.

This is one guy who simply has avoided capture for nearly half a century. Highly intelligent, a Yale graduate and could fit in anywhere without a problem. Something tells me he was/is constantly on the
Move. He never got comfortable or he changed so much and he settled down somewhere.

Interesting. I'll have to look into it.

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you, I subscribed to Prime a few days ago. So if you want to, if you find an interesting UM episode let me know and I'll watch it so we can discuss it.

Interesting. I'll have to look into it.

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you, I subscribed to Prime a few days ago. So if you want to, if you find an interesting UM episode let me know and I'll watch it so we can discuss it.

Yeah, it’s a fascinating case. It’s in Season 3, I forgot what episode but the captions is written below. And will do, there are great cases that can be discussed.

Yeah, it’s a fascinating case. It’s in Season 3, I forgot what episode but the captions is written below. And will do, there are great cases that can be discussed.

I'll look for it the next time I'm in a UM mood.

@shadow_priest_x

I’ve got to season 8, I forgot they had changed the opening theme during this time. Do you recall it?

@shadow_priest_x

I’ve got to season 8, I forgot they had changed the opening theme during this time. Do you recall it?

Damn, you're rolling through it aren't you?

And no, I do not remember that intro or the theme. I think by that point I had kind of temporarily forgotten about Unsolved Mysteries.

Damn, you're rolling through it aren't you?

And no, I do not remember that intro or the theme. I think by that point I had kind of temporarily forgotten about Unsolved Mysteries.

Well, I am skipping a lot of episodes, to be honest. I read the titles and if they look intriguing I will watch them. But if they are episodes that do not interest me, I will skip through it.

Yeah, it was strange they changed the theme. Reminded me more of an X-Files theme or something.

Well, I am skipping a lot of episodes, to be honest. I read the titles and if they look intriguing I will watch them. But if they are episodes that do not interest me, I will skip through it.

Yeah, it was strange they changed the theme. Reminded me more of an X-Files theme or something.

Ah, so you're not going episode by episode through each season.

I don't think that theme is bad. It really just sounds like a variation on the original. It's at least a lot better than the Farina theme.

Ah, so you're not going episode by episode through each season.

I don't think that theme is bad. It really just sounds like a variation on the original. It's at least a lot better than the Farina theme.

Not all, I have seen most though. But there are certain episodes I’ll skip.

Farina’s UM wasn’t bad when you wanted a fix. It just the older episodes re-aired but the music and narration’s were just bad. They never aired new episodes.

Yes, great show. Unsolved mystery type is what ppl love. Technology has made things less mysterious these days so now they just tell a story that goes on for 2*hours on date line loaded with commercials

@shadow_priest_x

When you get the chance, watch episode 3 of Season 11. It is the first case of the episode, it is the murders of two women who were killed just a few days apart and lived in the same city. Do you think the murders were related? There is a theory that the first woman that was killed was the wrong woman, i.e. Saran Connor and the hit was meant to go to the other woman.

Unsolved mysteries is absoutley awesome, love it. I remember watching it back in the day and it was my favorite thing on TV. I used to record some of them on blank VHS tapes.

I thought I had seen them all but turns out there is many I didn't see, or don't remember seeing at the time, so lucky I can watch all the ones I never seen on youtube and dailymotion. Great program

@shadow_priest_x

When you get the chance, watch episode 3 of Season 11. It is the first case of the episode, it is the murders of two women who were killed just a few days apart and lived in the same city. Do you think the murders were related? There is a theory that the first woman that was killed was the wrong woman, i.e. Saran Connor and the hit was meant to go to the other woman.

Cool, I'll check them out and chime back in.

Unsolved mysteries is absoutley awesome, love it. I remember watching it back in the day and it was my favorite thing on TV. I used to record some of them on blank VHS tapes.

I thought I had seen them all but turns out there is many I didn't see, or don't remember seeing at the time, so lucky I can watch all the ones I never seen on youtube and dailymotion. Great program

About 10 years ago people would watch them on YT. They were clearly uploaded from the original tapes. The poor quality and audio made it even more awesome. They would get taken down by copyright and would come back up but they eventually stopped. It became a quest to find them for many people. Eventually they’ve made it to Amazon. That’s where I watch them.

I kinda wish they did original episodes of AMW as well.

Back