Do you remember/miss Unsolved Mysteries? | Page 16

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by shadow_priest_x, Aug 27, 2015.

1. rocketskates Black Belt

rocketskates
    Yep. Their killers were likely murdered/are dead themselves or locked up for something and else and never confessed to the unsolved murders.

2. DaleBoca Red Belt

DaleBoca
    The amazing thing is people are still fascinated by these stories to the extent where they call the authorities of the incident to get some type of info. Sitcoms.com(a bit ironic) has a massive UM page where some of the stories have 80+ pages of theories, new info and mere speculation on certain incidents. You get all types of info that wasn't brought forward on Um.

It's a unique playground. It's kinda like Mayberry but without the manlets.

The_Renaissance and rocketskates like this.
  3. DaleBoca Red Belt

DaleBoca
    The_Renaissance likes this.
  4. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Regarding finding the body, it all depends.

It's important to remember, again, that this is a pretty remote area. I mean, yes, there are some houses around but there's also a lot of uninhabited land. It's very easy for a body in areas like that to go undetected and also to decompose quickly as well as be carried off by animals. The fact that it was winter helps regarding the decomposition issue, but my understanding is that it was a warmer winter than usual.

Again, it's the odds more than anything that stand in the way of the killer theory.

Imagine if you went to a remote stretch of highway and stood by the road for 15 minutes. How many times do you think you'd have to do that before a murderer just happened to pass by?

I'm not saying it's impossible of course, but just that it seems literally like the odds are about the same as winning the lottery.

Well Renner's tandem driver theory says that Maura was traveling with another person, they were just in two separate cars. Either the person she was traveling with had gotten a bit ahead of her and then doubled-back or they had been a bit behind her and then caught up after she had crashed her car. He doesn't think that someone she knew just happened to pass by on chance.

5. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Never even heard of Sitcoms.com. I'll have to check it out.

LOL. Manlet crew member checking in!

Say WHAAAAAAATTTT?! That's both awesome and crazy!

I really hope they're able to pull it together . . . on one condition: They don't fuck it up. They need to go back to what works and do something similar to the Stack formula, not that America's Most Wanted copycat Farina shit.

It really does seem like the time is right to revive it though. Both true crime and paranormal shows are as popular as ever now.

6. DaleBoca Red Belt

DaleBoca
    Farina's UM was just re-airing the original episodes without ever doing new stories. I do agree they need to go back to the basics and film it like the original.

Do you think paranormal and UFO stuff would work nowadays? People tend to scoff at things like that nowadays.

7. Fedorisbest Purple Belt

Fedorisbest
    I am watching it right now on prime. Dat update beat the memories

8. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Oh, on the contrary, I think people are actually more open to UFOs and the paranormal now than they ever have been.

Consider this excerpt from this article:

That's nearly half the population and it's the highest number yet.

I've also heard that many Millennials simply accept UFOs as fact, as if it's not even a question that needs to be asked. For a lot of those younger folks, it's not a question of whether they're real, but of exactly what they are.

Or consider this article from 2013 that says:

So yes, I think that much of the public is very much ready and willing to take in more tales of the spooky and mysterious.

While I'm personally an agnostic on these questions, I do think it's certainly possible that UFOs could be extra-terrestrial (or extra-dimensional) in origin and I also think that ghosts, ESP, the afterlife etc could also be real.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    DaleBoca likes this.
  9. DaleBoca Red Belt

DaleBoca
    @shadow_priest_x

I just saw a fantastic sagment on Season 5 episode 5. In 1967 a woman by the name of Patricia Carlton had gone through emergency surgery for a brain aneurysm. She survived but she knew very little about her life, she didn't know her husband, her kids, nothing. She had to re-learn her motor skills again. She gradually regained her strength but over the years she would wonder off and be found a short time later. However, in 1971, she wondered off for good and simply vanished. She was located in San Diego(She was from Houston) but the aunts info she gave, her didn't know she was missing and since then she was missing. Fast forward to 2004, she was found alive and well in San Fran.

I hope cases like this gives some type of hope to people that went missing like Maura Murray and others.

shadow_priest_x likes this.
  10. MoparOrNoCar Brown Belt

MoparOrNoCar
    Now my logic may be completely flawed here. I mean I usually post about weiners and farts all day so lets see if this makes sense.

In any murder case (talking serial killer/rapist type murders) the odds of running across a murderer is always about the same as winning the lottery. How many cases like Maura's are out there? Probably relatively few. So if the odds are low for someone to disappear like that and they do disappear, then shouldn't that make the odds higher that she disappeared due to foul play? A girl that's gone missing on a remote stretch of highway has extremely low odds. There's only a few possible realistic outcomes. Died of exposure. Killed by a murderer or had some plan to escape her life. So the odds of being killed by a murderer have gone up exponentially since she's missing just due to the fact that there's only so many ways you can go missing.

There are other possibilities like amnesia but I think we would probably agree that has the lowest odds of all. She could have also been picked up by a pimp that has her drugged and turning tricks or maybe she got trafficked. I just wouldn't rule out foul play because she was on a remote stretch of highway. Seems like she was spotted by a handful of people and would have been spotted by much more if she was walking down the highway. I could see her walking off into the wilderness once hypothermia set in but I can't see her just walking off into the wilderness right after the accident.

11. FrankensteinMMA Sookies boyfriend

FrankensteinMMA
    this is the king of freaky intros...

Thundarr and shadow_priest_x like this.
  12. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Interesting. So when she was found, was she just living a normal life? Like, did she have a job, was she living on her own, did she have relationships with the people around her?

BTW, since you tipped me off to the fact that Season 1 is free I watched the first episode last night. Weirdly though, the episodes do not match up with what's listed on Wikipedia.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  13. SammyPops Team Stannis

SammyPops
    Stack was a beast

14. JonesBones Yellow Card

JonesBones
    Stack was perfect for that show. I always preferred the "unexplained" like aliens and ghosts. I dont believe in it now but it interested me as a little kid.

15. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    I would say it's an issue with exposure. How long is the victim exposed to the killer?

Remember that in many cases with serial killers, the killer planned the murder in advance, like with Ted Bundy when he would scope out his victims and choose them carefully. Or the killer would to go places where people were known to congregate, like with the Zodiac when he killed that couple in the park or BTK when he would kill people in their homes.

I'm not saying foul play should be ruled out or is impossible. I'm just saying that the combination of where she was and how long she was out there reduce the odds greatly in my opinion.

Remember that when that one guy offered to call some help for her, she said no and then lied and said she'd already called Triple A. What was that about?

You say you can't see her walking into the wilderness right after the accident, but as I see it she'd want to make sure to get away before any police showed up. Because, remember that the theory here is that she wanted to avoid a DUI. Time would be of the essence in that case.

16. JonesBones Yellow Card

JonesBones
    That show scared the shit out of me too. Like, if a killer was on the loose I would worry he could break into our house or something. aliens too. Aliens could abduct me. lol. I was a little kid like I said

17. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Shit, you never know. . .

JonesBones likes this.
  18. MoparOrNoCar Brown Belt

MoparOrNoCar
    Yeah but I don't know if you could say that planning it in advance is the norm. There's a reason why people don't hitchhike anymore and it's because of this very reason. Truckers don't have the luxury of scoping out their victims before hand. I get what you're saying though. The odds are low but the odds of this entire situation happening are low as well. I do like my pimp/hooker theory as a new theory though. Thought of that one on the spot.

I don't know what was up with the AAA lie. Maybe she didn't want anyone to get involved because she knew she would get a DUI. I just can't see a chick like that wandering off into the snowy wilderness to hide from a DUI. It does bring plausibility to the other friend theory where someone else was ahead of her or tailing her. That would explain her disappearance from the scene but I don't know if that explains her disappearance in general unless her friend ended up killing her. I just can't see a girl disappearing off the grid over a DUI.

I think you and me should have our own detective show. You can methodically go through the evidence and figure out the highest probability while I'm out on the street cracking skulls on a hunch.

19. shadow_priest_x Titanium Belt

shadow_priest_x
    This is pure speculation, but allow me to introduce you to another theory that Renner has put forth. That is the "underground railroad" theory.

Read:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2013/12/

LOL, yes! We should do that shit!

MoparOrNoCar likes this.
  20. MoparOrNoCar Brown Belt

MoparOrNoCar
    That's interesting. Kind of reminds me of the end of Breaking Bad. I'd say that one definitely has the least probability of being true though lol